Have Y'all Noticed Hurricane Rita Heading Your Way...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaTexan:
Good luck, Natasha! I'll be thinking of you guys....maybe it won't be as bad as everyone thinks. Here's hoping, anyway...

Thanks Ken. We're hoping that too. We are 51 feet above sea level here. I really don't think we will flood.

Natasha:
Thanks Ken. We're hoping that too. We are 51 feet above sea level here. I really don't think we will flood.

Our ground is too hard and dry to flood. In fact, we need all the rain we can get (within reason) to make the foundations shift back into place. I haven't been able to lock my front door for over two months, and I literally have to jam the door shut to close it. :frown:

Natasha:
That's good to hear. I didn't know any ground around there was that high.

I've been watching live news from Houston, lots of stories. Horrible bus accident, but attempting to leave was the best overall. Heard they drove some bus loads onto cargo planes and took off. With Zones A,B,C evacuated and the storm veering east from the metroplex, hope the losses will be less - altho bad news for the folks to the east.

My Houston dive buddy could not get her family to leave, so they're going to ride it out in NW Houston. I phoned her early Monday to see if she knew, so she could beat the shopping rush, but she just barely did. It's been a tense week for her - now she's ready to get the storm over with.

Up here in the Panhandle, about all we can do is welcome evacuees, and we're redy for that.

God be with you all, bu then - that's a given anyway....

It's starting to hit now. 45 m winds. I was just outside. It's rainning now, and Galvestion is out of power. We are 27 miles NE of Galveston. I hope we don't lose power, but we're ready.

Debraw:
What does "Humuhumunukunukuapua'a" stand for? Your name is so long it pushes the screen all the way to the right. Just wondering what it means...... "impressive"?

I'm thinking it'd be MUCH more fun to be in Hawaii right now - - but I did spend the summer - - In our lectures, our group translated it "Fish with a face like a pig and grunts like one too" - Not very impressive, but cool looking fish! If you can catch one in a coral hole and disturb it a bit, it will make a most "gruntlike" noise!

With Rita veering to the East - We're lookiing relatively clean in Austin, I'm leaving the decision to take my OW class to Travis to the morning - It might just be OK.

Natasha & Dee - - - The offer's still open, you could even DM if you liked!

Interesting that as the storm slides by to the east of Houston, the winds are from the north, pushing water back out of Galveston bay some. I'm glad that so many took the right precautions, even if many turned out to be unneeded. Moving the problem east makes the problem worse for those there, but I suppose it lessens the overall losses.

Good luck all...

Just heard from Dee. It took them 15 hours to get to Mary Sue's house. Normally a 5 hour drive. They are exhausted but doing well. She said that it looks as if their house is no longer in the direct path, but still at risk. She asked me to let everyone know she's ok.

I was wondering about them. Thanks for the update.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom