Have Y'all Noticed Hurricane Rita Heading Your Way...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
I know very little out 'Canes as they just bring us a lot of rain on rare occasion, but she will most likely be a Hurricane very soon, and looks like she'd headed for your ship channel! I did start a thread Hurrican Rita to parallel Emily - Florida Keys to Houston...? on the Storm forum then came here to see what was being discussed locally. Nothing...?!

Monday morning maps....

DandyDon:
I know very little out 'Canes as they just bring us a lot of rain on rare occasion, but she will most likely be a Hurricane very soon, and looks like she'd headed for your ship channel! I did start a thread Hurrican Rita to parallel Emily - Florida Keys to Houston...? on the Storm forum then came here to see what was being discussed locally. Nothing...?!

Monday morning maps....

It's been on the news here, but looks like word is starting to get out. Not looking good at the moment, but could shift further east.

outback:
It's been on the news here, but looks like word is starting to get out. Not looking good at the moment, but could shift further east.
It could shift east, west, south, who knows? Katrina should serve as a good warning. I called a close friend in Houston just now, and she didn't know anything about it, hadn't seen the news in 2 days, hadn't checked my emails about it. She plans to have her family inland by Thursday noon now, trying to beat the rush.

Don....appreciate the concern but we're used to hurricanes. We generally don't start getting concerned until they get into the Gulf and we keep everything on hand in case we have to batten the hatches and/or bug out.

Lovely Rita Hurricane, Sorry Don, hope this one doesn't turn out as bad and mean as Katrina, hanging out over the gulf.

We really need to see about adjusting David's meds. :11:

It doesn't look like Houston has had a bad one since '83: http://www.wxresearch.com/houhur.htm Most of the city won't have any idea what to expect if this one hits that hard.

DandyDon:
We really need to see about adjusting David's meds. :11:

It doesn't look like Houston has had a bad one since '83: http://www.wxresearch.com/houhur.htm Most of the city won't have any idea what to expect if this one hits that hard.

Thanks for the concern Don, but it will "prpbably" be OK. Most of us are prepared at ALL times for a possible hurricane. We always keep food and water, batteries, etc on hand for the season. We had a rough toime of it with a tropical strorm a few years ago with TONS of rain.

For now, 3 of 5 weather model programs show it coming to Galveston around Saturday. The other two are Corpus Christi and Lake Charles, LA. It is WAY too early to get all excited about it, just yet. The weather people try really hard to beat the waters into a froth with everey storm that comes into the Gulf.

DSDO

Are you serious, Don? Rita is heading MY way. We do occasionally get the ones up from Baja, but I had no idea we might get one from the Gulf! Actually there is a forecast of potential rain in SoCal, possibly due to Lovely Rita.

Know I'm not anywhere near affected areas (y'know different continent and all) and am in a sub-forum I really shouldn't be in,

But y'all take care, ok? Don't make me come over there :wink:

Keep safe and happy diving

Nauticalbutnice :fruit:

DandyDon:
....It doesn't look like Houston has had a bad one since '83: http://www.wxresearch.com/houhur.htm Most of the city won't have any idea what to expect if this one hits that hard.

I'm quite sure that although not every person in the Houston/Galveston area had personal experiences with H. Alicia, with the help of the disaster plans that are in place everyone will have more than an idea of what to expect. The last thing we need is to set off a panic situation, that can be detrimental in lots of ways.

I know Katrina is still fresh in everyone's mind but let's not blow this out of proportion just yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom