Halcyon H75P + Halo (weird?) cranking effort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would not use silicone in a regulator that is going to see use with an elevated FO2
These regs will use a maximun of 32% or trimix (GUE standar mixes). For my deco stages, wich will be used with gases iver 50% I have a different set of regulators.

I've used christo-lube, but if silicone is used in these regs it's going to be safe.

These regs will use a maximun of 32% or trimix (GUE standar mixes). For my deco stages, wich will be used with gases iver 50% I have a different set of regulators.

I've used christo-lube, but if silicone is used in these regs it's going to be safe.
Fairly certain that they specify Christo-lube I know all of mine were assembled from the factory with it.

How do you know that "it's going to be safe"? Do you know something the manufacturers don't know? ALL known regulator manufactures say to use Christo-lube for their regulators that are going to be used "UP to 40%" pre-mixed O2. It will be very difficult to find any mfg. that says otherwise. Do you know something the mfg's don't know?

Fairly certain that they specify Christo-lube I know all of mine were assembled from the factory with it.

I am sure they do and I am equally sure many of us ignore that recommendation for Nitrox mix with no issues and better, longer lasting lubrication. For high O2 and pure O2, of course not :wink:.

If not comfortable with that, follow the MM. Most of the "Usual Suspects" who post here regularly and have been doing regs for years use silicone lube for Nitrox mixes, especially the second stages.

I am equally sure many of us ignore that recommendation for Nitrox mix with no issues and better, longer lasting lubrication

Many people doing it doesn't make it right, just like many drivers drive while DUI but not all of them get into trouble or kill people but still something that is a terrible thing to do.

ALL experts I know, some wrote the books prefer Christo Lube and not use Silicone grease at all. When the mfg. says to use Christo Lube and not Silicone grease, that actually makes it a requirement not a recommendation.

Many people doing it doesn't make it right, just like many drivers drive while DUI but not all of them get into trouble or kill people but still something that is a terrible thing to do.

ALL experts I know, some wrote the books prefer Christo Lube and not use Silicone grease at all. When the mfg. says to use Christo Lube and not Silicone grease, that actually makes it a requirement not a recommendation.

That is fine and if that is your comfort level you should do that. The manufacturers largely tell us to rebuild our regulators yearly and to have an expert do it for us. I ignore that advice also.

That is fine and if that is your comfort level you should do that. The manufacturers largely tell us to rebuild our regulators yearly and to have an expert do it for us. I ignore that advice also.

Yes, that's your choice and you accept the risk and responsibility.

So... found original orings (don't know why I store this kind of thing, but couple of years ago I did) and found that new o'rings are a little bigger... not much but enougth.
If the orings in the aftermarket kit are incorrect size, I would contact the supplier and let them know of the issue.
And congratulations on sorting out the problem.

edit: Just noticed I mentioned incorrect oring size in post #33, too late for me to edit that post. Should say oring size 1mm x 2.2mm, not .1mm x 2.2mm

How do you know that "it's going to be safe"? Do you know something the manufacturers don't know? ALL known regulator manufactures say to use Christo-lube for their regulators that are going to be used "UP to 40%" pre-mixed O2. It will be very difficult to find any mfg. that says otherwise. Do you know something the mfg's don't know?

With the price difference between silicone and Christo-lube. I for one am sure the manufacturer would use silicone if it was better and cheaper

The only time I use Chriso lube is on piston first stages as silicone can cause ip issues. On second stages, for my own use, I use silicone, have been for many years. I don't dive high O2. Silicone is way more tenacious than christo lube etc. when I build a reg for someone I ask which they prefer, if they don't know I use Christo lube.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom