Halcyon H75P + Halo (weird?) cranking effort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here I am again... same problem... unable to manage to get 1 water inch of cranking effort....I cannot manage to make it bellow 2 water inches and I've tried many things like, aside of using a brand new original service kit, using different lubricants, using different ways to apply lubricant, cleaning up properly all the orifices... many time invested on that and I still have not yet achieve this permanently (I've were able to get 1 water inch, but is no longer like that).

This weekend I've used a stage tank connected to an Apeks US1 with XT 40 2nd stage and, when swapped from the stage (Apeks) to the backmount (Halcyon) the difference was brutal... it was as if I were unable to breathe from the Halcyons and really wanted to swap back to the stage (which were not good idea, so I stayed sucking from the Halcyons).

Maybe, I should clean the poppet in the ultrasonic cleaner and try yet one more lubricant?

Here I am again... same problem... unable to manage to get 1 water inch of cranking effort....I cannot manage to make it bellow 2 water inches and I've tried many things like, aside of using a brand new original service kit, using different lubricants, using different ways to apply lubricant, cleaning up properly all the orifices... many time invested on that and I still have not yet achieve this permanently (I've were able to get 1 water inch, but is no longer like that).

This weekend I've used a stage tank connected to an Apeks US1 with XT 40 2nd stage and, when swapped from the stage (Apeks) to the backmount (Halcyon) the difference was brutal... it was as if I were unable to breathe from the Halcyons and really wanted to swap back to the stage (which were not good idea, so I stayed sucking from the Halcyons).

Maybe, I should clean the poppet in the ultrasonic cleaner and try yet one more lubricant?
I've got 5 Halos now 3 breath great, 2 not so much with the exact same problem you reported. I sort of wonder if there was maybe a bad batch from scubapro... but I had almost the exact same issue with them. The 2 that are having issues are out getting professionally serviced now and they understood the problem when I sent it to them. I'll let you know what happened.

I realized how bad one had become when I s-drilled with one of my buddies and we weere both surprised.

Clean poppet with hot soapy water. I doubt that's your issue. Do you have another spring? Have you checked orifice under a jewelers loupe for damage?

Very interesting that this is coming up with so many people now. It's the same problem I've been having with both of my Halos and also one of the other instructors at my shop has reported the same problem with his.

Mine are at my shop right now to be looked at again, and I think I was told that Halcyon had sent us some new parts for them.

If they are not fixed this time, I will send them to Simon or one of y'all that can fix them and then report back on what the real problem is.

I realize it's likely cost prohibitive with shipping but if you send it to me I'll fix it.

Does it hold vacuum?
I realize it's likely cost prohibitive with shipping but if you send it to me I'll fix it.

Does it hold vacuum?
Because is a double tank configuration, I have two of them.... with same problem.

I have no another spring, but both regulators have roughly same crank effort... well they both could have some spring issue or the lever bent... who knows.

I don't have a jewellers loupe but I use a light with magnifier used for electronics.... plus my mobile camera which got an amazing zoom. I've found there could be some "dry" lubricant inside and I've cleaned them (both of them) using electric cables.... not peeled in one side, and peeled to clean the orifices.

To me orifices seems to be OK.

Both poppets can hold vacuum with no problems.

When breathing they are hard on the beginning until certain point they "release" and then you get better crank effort..... but never as good as the Apeks.

I'll review all the notes I've took from this post just to tell whether I'm missing something when fine tuning them

Very interesting that this is coming up with so many people now. It's the same problem I've been having with both of my Halos and also one of the other instructors at my shop has reported the same problem with his.

Mine are at my shop right now to be looked at again, and I think I was told that Halcyon had sent us some new parts for them.

If they are not fixed this time, I will send them to Simon or one of y'all that can fix them and then report back on what the real problem is.
Mines are Hacyon Halo as well.

A few pages back, there was discussion of possibly the O-ring for the poppet (?) in the service kit being a little too big.

Is it possible that that is what is going on here? Maybe Halcyon got a batch of service kits that have an out-of-spec O-ring for the poppet?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom