Greek Cruise Ship Sinks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

**waves to Natasha.....ey Natasha:thumbs_up:**

so the cruise ship actually sank???

speaking of that russian sub, the kursk, do u all kno why it sank?

Ordnance accident, a torpedo cooked off I think. I was working on the north slope at the time supporting a dive op in the Bering sea. The guys called the state department and told them they were ready and could be there in a few hours and were equiped to dive beyond 600 feet. The ruskies said no thanks. All aboard died.

After seeing the videos of the wreck, I think it's probably a good thing it's out of "recreational" depths, or it would be claiming more lives then just the two souls that went down with her.

Good grief....
AXL72:
**waves to Natasha.....ey Natasha:thumbs_up:**

so the cruise ship actually sank???

[-]speaking of that russian sub, the kursk, do u all kno why it sank?[/-]
So in the hundreds of news reports and indirect connections to the unfortunate wreck that the rest of the world know sank - no one knows of any steering malfunctions, monster waves hitting the lagoon, malfunctions with water tight compartments - not the full facts yet, but generally appears to be mishandling by one or more officers?

I guess we have hashed this to death, and I guess the learning experiences to accept from even this non-diving accident might be...?
> Don't get too relaxed just because it feels like you're on a safe vessel, as caca happens at sea and in ports - be prepared to safely escape if indicated, even when the captain delays the orders; and
> Don't leave the US without trip insurance.

Anything else...?

truth is, the torpedo was fueled by HTP (high-test-peroxide), which rusted through its containment. Normally not a problemsince the torpedos have protective coverings and are stored on steel cribs.

As it turned out....the propeelant was more dangerous than the warhead. The propellant touched some copper (brass or bronze...which the tubes are lined with) in the bloody tube when it was loaded for firing as a test torpedo (no bloody warhead!!!!), and the reaction was catestrophic....just from bloody hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) and the copper (in thebrass and bronze).

First blast blew the torpedo door, inside the compartment off....a fireball engulfed the men in the torpedo room, as onshore seismographs registered the blast as 1.5 on the richter scale....the blaze continued. The concussion from the blast into the control room was paralyzing.

There is a book about it, "A Tim to Die":D

strangely enough...even though the rest of the fuel and warheads of the other torpedos were "cooking" from the blast and fire from th leaking HTP torpedo, the second explosion from the rest of the torpedos did not occur until the sub smacked into the seabed at 375 ft.

Each bulkhead was destroyed from the secondblast, and it was not until the strogest bulkhead imediately in front of the reactor room, before the bulkhead breaching stopped.

second blast registered 3.5 on the richter scale.

The hatch between the torpedo room and the control room were always left open for constant dialogue between the torpedo tube men and the control room. However, I think the hatch was not a factor...except for allowing the initial blast to effct the radio room operators. The second blast devastated the bulkheads of all four forward compartments.

took 135 seconds after first blast tohit bottom and detonae second blast.

sinking occurd in 375 ft, yet he sub was 500 ft long....interesting:wink:...not a factor...but ineresting

Wildcard:
Ordnance accident, a torpedo cooked off I think. I was working on the north slope at the time supporting a dive op in the Bering sea. The guys called the state department and told them they were ready and could be there in a few hours and were equiped to dive beyond 600 feet. The ruskies said no thanks. All aboard died.

hey, not being rude...but North Slope of Alaska is in the Beaufort Sea.

The Chukchi Sea is off the Northwest coast of Alaska starting from Barrow.

The Berring sea is farther to the south, way south of wainwright, on alaska's west coast.

Brain fart. I spend time in both. I knew what I was thinking. Thanks

so where were u at the time?:D...

u still have time to edit...and claim i am a doody head for editing your posts to be geographically incorrect:wink:

It was the beaufort sea. I was talking about the Bering sea earler today and thats what my fingers spelled. I should have caught that as I was onboard the beaufortsea1 at the time, a purpose built oil drilling rig.

oooh...do tell....were you drilling near camden bay?

Back
Top Bottom