Greek Cruise Ship Sinks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon:
Yep, one news story said that the Capt tried to get off the roacks before evacuating passengers - in violation of maritime law. That should have him seeking new employment.

And it is odd that a ship listing at 15% at first would sink in moderate winds if the watertight compartments had been secured. Could be why some of the other 5 officers were charged? This is speculation on my part, of course...

So the reporter is now an expert in maritime law too? If the capt did not feel the ship had been holed yet then getting it off the rocks is exactly what he should have tried to do. The report will be out soon enough.

200M is not shallow and I doubt it could be salvaged from 100 feet. It's just too big. They had big problems raising teh russian sub that sank and broke in two.

I thought I read somewhere that the top is only 16ft from the sureface and the bottem in at 300ft. Now that might have chg over night.... I could be wrong too.....Mark

So the reporter is now an expert in maritime law too?
If you have any better sources, now - would love to see what ya got.

It is nice to get the facts later, but so seldom happens.

Wildcard:
So the reporter is now an expert in maritime law too? If the capt did not feel the ship had been holed yet then getting it off the rocks is exactly what he should have tried to do. The report will be out soon enough.

THATS THE PROBLEM.

If he felt he didn't have a hole, but manuvered before he knew whether he had a hole, then he was negligent.

If a ship goes aground, the FIRST priority is to determine the extent of damage. If there is water coming into the vessel, the next priority is to close watertight doors. If the vessel can remain afloat, there is no "disaster." Advise passengers and do an orderly evacuation. If the ship does not take on additional water, and thus list even more, the evacuation will be that much easier and lifeboats/rafts/cannisters on both sides of the vessel can be utilized.

Trying to get off the rock is not always "what he should have tried to do." If you hit a reef or go aground here, you must stop before you do additional damage. That's the Coast Guard reg. You can be fined far more if you do additional damage to the bottom, than you would have for the original grounding.

I work in the Cruise industry, and in talking to the folks in technical operations, a puncture spanning 1-3 compartments should not result in the vessel sinking in sheltered water, if the watertight doors are closed.

However, if the original damage extended into the passenger compartments as had been implied in some reports, the watertight doors may not have prevented the sinking, as passenger areas are not generally sealed off by watertight compartments.

mdmbike to scuba:
I thought I read somewhere that the top is only 16ft from the surface

I've read the same, the hull comes to within 5m of the surface laying turtled on a slope down to 150m.
I also think the ship is under 170m LOA so it sounds like a pretty steep slope.

maj75:
THATS THE PROBLEM.

If he felt he didn't have a hole, but manuvered before he knew whether he had a hole, then he was negligent.

If a ship goes aground, the FIRST priority is to determine the extent of damage. If there is water coming into the vessel, the next priority is to close watertight doors. If the vessel can remain afloat, there is no "disaster." Advise passengers and do an orderly evacuation. If the ship does not take on additional water, and thus list even more, the evacuation will be that much easier and lifeboats/rafts/cannisters on both sides of the vessel can be utilized.

Trying to get off the rock is not always "what he should have tried to do." If you hit a reef or go aground here, you must stop before you do additional damage. That's the Coast Guard reg. You can be fined far more if you do additional damage to the bottom, than you would have for the original grounding.

I work in the Cruise industry, and in talking to the folks in technical operations, a puncture spanning 1-3 compartments should not result in the vessel sinking in sheltered water, if the watertight doors are closed.

However, if the original damage extended into the passenger compartments as had been implied in some reports, the watertight doors may not have prevented the sinking, as passenger areas are not generally sealed off by watertight compartments.
The decision, any decision is that of the captain. If he felt to back down was the best course of action then who are you to second guess someone with enough sea time to earn his unlimited ticket? He was there, it was his vessel, he made the call. Was that what hapened that caused it to sink or not? There is a lot more at play here that the media puts out. Im happy you work in the cruse industry. I have a 50 ton ticket and have to respect his decision as he was there and you and I were not. The investigation will decied if this was a good call and other thing hapend or not.

deepstops:
I've read the same, the hull comes to within 5m of the surface laying turtled on a slope down to 150m.
I also think the ship is under 170m LOA so it sounds like a pretty steep slope.
Thanks deepstops Im not going crazy just yet :rofl3: . Someone said there might be air traped in the ship keeping it where its at now. Mark

DandyDon:
If you have any better sources, now - would love to see what ya got.

It is nice to get the facts later, but so seldom happens.
It does but not on CNN. Did I EVER say I had anything more? NOPE! Im just saying dont jump to conclusions and make rosie like speculations.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom