Greek Cruise Ship Sinks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So whats the final word on the depth (the bow sounds diveable) and what do they plan to do with her?

Not that having a cruise ship in diveable depths is such a good thing - on other such wreaks inexperienced divers seem to be attracted to those deep dark corridors and some don't return.

[Note: DAMN! I just went past post 666 and didn’t notice: I was hoping to use such an auspiciously numbered post to flame someone]

u want me to report two of yopur posts to get u back to 665???

Could you? I could then celibrate by flaming you!

Not drilling but moving the rig back to Deadhorse. Very near Camden on the Kaktovic side. It had been stored there for years.

shaggie:
After seeing the videos of the wreck, I think it's probably a good thing it's out of "recreational" depths, or it would be claiming more lives then just the two souls that went down with her.

Where'd you see video of the wreck?

There is video clip on the web, apparently they found the black box, and the captain admitted his error in judgement, as it was his first trip with the ship:

"The Santorini Port Authorities were carrying out a preliminary examination on Friday, while the captain, the Second Mate, the helmsman, the first officer and four crew-members were giving their statements to shed light on the causes of the accident.

In his statement, the captain said that he was overconfident when the ship was entering the port, adding that he overestimated the capabilities of the ship when it approached the reef buoy.

However, he said that up to the last moment he tried to avoid the collision but in vain. This was his maiden voyage as captain with the Sea Diamond.  "

Tassie_Rohan:
So whats the final word on the depth (the bow sounds diveable) and what do they plan to do with her?

From what I have seen, she is between 80 and 120 m in depth. Maximum depth in the bay where she is located is 155 m. Underwater photos indicate she is turtled and appears to be relatively even (no extreme angle) from bow to stern.

Updates can be found on the AUE website, including some underwater images.

Cheers,
Mike

Wildcard:
Not drilling but moving the rig back to Deadhorse. Very near Camden on the Kaktovic side. It had been stored there for years.

ahh..land based (or sea-ice) based drilling rig, as opposed to an offshore sea-going, ice rated vessel rig?

how long it take you? Only moves at like 1 to 2.5 mph:D

I got a horrific story for you regarding a drilling rig accident to the west of Kaparuk.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom