Greek Cruise Ship Sinks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wildcard:
It does but not on CNN. Did I EVER say I had anything more? NOPE! Im just saying dont jump to conclusions and make rosie like speculations.
Okay, fair enough. And this from your previous post carries a lot of credibility, to: I have a 50 ton ticket and have to respect his decision as he was there and you and I were not.

Thanks!

SANTORINI, Greece - Greek engineers voiced hopes Tuesday they could avert a major environmental disaster after a sunken cruise ship leaked dozens of tons of oil off a resort island at the start of the tourist season.

Cleanup crews in Santorini worked to siphon up fuel from the Sea Diamond, which sank Friday after hitting a submerged reef, while a senior Greenpeace campaigner warned that speed is imperative in such operations.

A French passenger and his daughter are feared drowned. Nearly 1,600 people — mostly Americans — were safely evacuated after the accident Thursday.

Vassilis Mamaloukas, an environmental engineer leading the cleanup operation, said the spill was largely contained, but the threat remained present.

"We still have to be very careful. If the weather changes we will have to reconsider the whole operation," said Mamaloukas, who took part in the cleanup off Lebanon after Israeli airstrikes caused a massive oil spill last summer.

"I do not expect a major leakage from the vessel, so from that point of view I am still reasonably optimistic," he said, adding that 2.5-3 miles of shoreline had been affected — far from the island's famous black-sand beaches.

On Tuesday, an unmanned submarine examined the wreckage of the 469-foot ship.

Footage from the submarine will help officials who hope to position a hose pipe to pump fuel out of the Sea Diamond's tanks, thought to contain up to 400 tons of oil and lubricants. These threaten an ecological disaster at the start of the busy summer season on Santorini, whose spectacular volcanic cliffs rank among Greece's top tourist attractions.

DandyDon:
Okay, fair enough. And this from your previous post carries a lot of credibility, to: I have a 50 ton ticket and have to respect his decision as he was there and you and I were not.

Thanks!
Off your meds again Don? Nothing like quoting out of context.

Wildcard:
Charged with nothing based on anything yet. The boat hit a rock. The boat sank. How and why is yet to be seen......Do any of y'all have a clue as to how much responsibility a captain has? TOTAL! So if anyone screwed up, it's still his fault, even if he had nothing to do with it.....And they wonder why I yell a lot?

Well hold on a minute, we can't really blame the captain for this. Did he have the latest charts? I mean, that rock is a very very new geological formation. It's only been there for 3500 years or so. He might have not gotten the memo.

Cheers :D

Mike

Wildcard:
200M is not shallow and I doubt it could be salvaged from 100 feet. It's just too big. They had big problems raising teh russian sub that sank and broke in two.

Actually, they cut the nose of the sub off so that "the americans" wouldn't see why it sank. The sub sank because of a new solid fuel propelled torpedo that lit off in the torpedo room.

The Salvaged sub came up in one piece.

Cheers :D

Mike

National enquirer? I watched the doc too. Oh ya and I do know a thing or two about soviet orndnance.
The capt is responsible, period end of story. Who caused this is yet to be seen. Im not sure how to break this to y'all but even capts cant stay awake and working 24/7. His pilot should, and very well may have given orders to avoid this rock, or not. All Im saying is stop being so knee jerk in pointing fingers. We just dont know yet.

Wildcard:
Off your meds again Don? Nothing like quoting out of context.
?????

Wildcard:
The decision, any decision is that of the captain. If he felt to back down was the best course of action then who are you to second guess someone with enough sea time to earn his unlimited ticket? He was there, it was his vessel, he made the call. Was that what hapened that caused it to sink or not? There is a lot more at play here that the media puts out. Im happy you work in the cruse industry. I have a 50 ton ticket and have to respect his decision as he was there and you and I were not. The investigation will decied if this was a good call and other thing hapend or not.

I don't care if you have a 500 ton ticket, you are taking this way too personally. Our guys run 100,000+ gross ton cruise ships. Maybe they know a little bit more about this kind of thing than you do.

FACT: the captain is ultimately responsible for his ship. Having a pilot aboard does not relieve him of his responsibility.

FACT:his ship hit a charted rock minutes before docking.

FACT:HIS shipping company has admitted there was "NEGILGENCE" in hitting the rock.

FACT: No one suggested that he was actually steering the ship at the time.

FACT:his ship had a hole in it.

FACT: his ship was taking on water.

FACT: his ship sank.

FACT: the ship was designed with watertight compartments which should have prevented the vessel form sinking if it was holed below the waterline.

FACT: His actions will be judged by the result: a sunken ship, two dead, and plenty of undocumented injuries.

FACT: My post simply applied hypothetical situations based on the facts. I admit that there are unknowns. My basic premis was that a cruise ship should not sink in sheltered waters if it has a hole in the bottom, because it has watertight compartments. In addition, that it would be negligent to manuver before the extent of damage was certain. Not exactly a rush to judgment.

We don't know how bad the initial damage was and whether it was made worse by the manuvering he attempted, but I do know for a FACT that the captain should not attempt to manuver before the extent of damage was certain. You have yet to admit this.

I personally know someone who was on that ship and sustained a fractured leg. She and her daughter lost all possessions that they had for the vacation. Luckily they did not lose their lives.

"you are taking this way too personally."
Sounds like YOUR the one taking to too personally.
Many things went wrong but it has yet to been seen who did what. These things are never black and white. Everyone is so ready to point fingers. Just wait and see what happens with the investigation.
Best wishes to your friend on a speedy recovery.

maj75:
I personally know someone who was on that ship and sustained a fractured leg. She and her daughter lost all possessions that they had for the vacation. Luckily they did not lose their lives.

I'm very sorry to hear about your friends. Please keep us updated. Were they able to get their passports and fly home?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom