Greek Cruise Ship Sinks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Charged with nothing based on anything yet. The boat hit a rock. The boat sank. How and why is yet to be seen......Do any of y'all have a clue as to how much responsibility a captain has? TOTAL! So if anyone screwed up, it's still his fault, even if he had nothing to do with it.....And they wonder why I yell a lot?

Wildcard:
Charged with nothing based on anything yet. The boat hit a rock. The boat sank. How and why is yet to be seen......Do any of y'all have a clue as to how much responsibility a captain has? TOTAL! So if anyone screwed up, it's still his fault, even if he had nothing to do with it.....And they wonder why I yell a lot?
No...not based on nothing. It hit a well charted reef very close to a busy port - ferries are in and out there every day. Another little factoid.....the Captain was on his maiden voyage (not sure if he was a new Captain, or just a new ship). In any event....that close to a port the Captain is required to be on the bridge as well as the watch officer. They're looking at a maximum of 5 years at the moment.

Of course......if they're found guilty of negligence and the missing French guy and his daughter are found to be dead....it could get worse. They're not in a very nice situation right now but hey....if you drive 1500 people around on a boat then you ARE responsible.

Also the company that owns this boat has had a couple of other recent incidents. One was a carbon monoxide event in a hotel in Corfu last season. It killed 2 British kids. There was also something about another boat I saw but I don't remember the details.

it sunk on a volcanic reef so there is a steep drop off it'll rest in about 400 ft of water, an intense technical dive. Too bad, that would have been an awesome tourist dive if it would have been a recreational dive...

Kim:
No...not based on nothing. It hit a well charted reef very close to a busy port - ferries are in and out there every day. Another little factoid.....the Captain was on his maiden voyage (not sure if he was a new Captain, or just a new ship). In any event....that close to a port the Captain is required to be on the bridge as well as the watch officer. They're looking at a maximum of 5 years at the moment.

Of course......if they're found guilty of negligence and the missing French guy and his daughter are found to be dead....it could get worse. They're not in a very nice situation right now but hey....if you drive 1500 people around on a boat then you ARE responsible.

Also the company that owns this boat has had a couple of other recent incidents. One was a carbon monoxide event in a hotel in Corfu last season. It killed 2 British kids. There was also something about another boat I saw but I don't remember the details.
And a pilot would have been onboard directing operations. New captains do not have unlimited tickets as this vessel would have required. Im not defending the guy, I just want people to stop pointing fingers so fast. The truth will come out.

I agree with Wildcard - the facts must be fully known following the inquiry (as required by international maritime law) before general conculsions are made. As previosuly mentioned correctly, it is a busy port with clearly marked hazards and the pilot would have had control, as is standard practice in confined waters all over the world. What is clear at this point is that there was a navigational error and that the crew followed the drills correctly - tangible proof is the numbers that survived. navigational errors do happen - SATNAV, like GPS is not 100% accurate all the time, so this may be a factor. But only the enquiry will reveal... the Greeks are desperate to restore their safety reputation after a few disasters over the last few years involving tourists, hence the speed in which negligence charges have followed. But these charges have yet to be tried of course

Santorini is an old volcanic crater, so wherever the ship is resting, it is likely to be on a sheer edge or at the bottom of the crater. But it would have been a fantastic wreck dive if not.

Wildcard:
Your believeing CNN? They got almost everyone off and the two missing may turn up and just not accouanted for. CNN is never right. The crew did what they were suppoesd to do. Drills are one thing real life is another. People are going to whine no matter what happened. It's all about lawsuits for these people. All y'all back the hell up untill the truth as best as it will be, comes out.

Wildcard:
......I just want people to stop pointing fingers so fast. The truth will come out.
I'm not pointing any fingers....simply relaying what I've seen stated in the news. The Captain has been charged with negligence. Is he guilty? No idea....I wasn't there. As I stated already.........IF .....he's found guilty....

The media have a great expression "never let the truth get in the way of a good story". the trouble is that often we (news consumers) do not know what is accurately reported facts and what is conjecture. In the meantime, the authorities have to be seen to be taking action often as a result of media reporting i.e. negligence charges. Ultimately, the Captian is resonsible, regardless of whether he was directly invloved with this sad incident. Many Admirals are promoted because people simply remember their names - why, because they have been court martialed for bumping and grinding their ships at some stage in their career, regarless of wether they were on the bridge.

Again, shame the wreck it isn't deep enough to shallow.

Wildcard:
And a pilot would have been onboard directing operations. New captains do not have unlimited tickets as this vessel would have required. Im not defending the guy, I just want people to stop pointing fingers so fast. The truth will come out.

My issue is what happened after the ship hit the rock. With compartmentalization, if the watertight doors had been closed immediately, the ship should not have gone down. It is suggested that the captain tried to manuver off the rock, doing more extensive damage. There was a picture on the internet this morning showing the ship touching the cliff. That was not the position in which it sank.

maj75:
My issue is what happened after the ship hit the rock. With compartmentalization, if the watertight doors had been closed immediately, the ship should not have gone down. It is suggested that the captain tried to manuver off the rock, doing more extensive damage. There was a picture on the internet this morning showing the ship touching the cliff. That was not the position in which it sank.
Yep, one news story said that the Capt tried to get off the roacks before evacuating passengers - in violation of maritime law. That should have him seeking new employment.

And it is odd that a ship listing at 15% at first would sink in moderate winds if the watertight compartments had been secured. Could be why some of the other 5 officers were charged? This is speculation on my part, of course...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom