Goliath Grouper Aggregate 2022 - The Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did the morning wreck trek today, probably like a dozen Goliaths on the Zion, and even more of the Esso Bonaire per reports. Current was ripping, vis was maybe 30 feet, seas millpond. I got down and I was like "I don't remember this being that difficult." After a couple of false starts got my SMB up, and ran out of line doing a Mary Poppins impression. I can confirm that DGX ties their line to the spools.

Got up to the boat and apparently I wasn't the only person having difficulties, half the boat missed the wreck including the DM.

Reef dive was the usual meh this time of year as the resident Goliaths move out onto the wrecks.

I did the morning wreck trek today, probably like a dozen Goliaths on the Zion, and even more of the Esso Bonaire per reports. Current was ripping, vis was maybe 30 feet, seas millpond. I got down and I was like "I don't remember this being that difficult." After a couple of false starts got my SMB up, and ran out of line doing a Mary Poppins impression. I can confirm that DGX ties their line to the spools.

Got up to the boat and apparently I wasn't the only person having difficulties, half the boat missed the wreck including the DM.

Reef dive was the usual meh this time of year as the resident Goliaths move out onto the wrecks.
Ha, it can be that way. Went with Sandy on one dive. We clawed our way back to the Esso Bonaire. She had lost the ball and flag, I loaned her my SMB and spool. We already knew each other quite well. The wreck trek can be quite a dive. Sometimes it's best to skip it when the current is running very strong and do a nice reef drift. I'm never sorry when they bail from this dive.

... Current was ripping, vis was maybe 30 feet, seas millpond.
I talked to one of my commercial friends and they said the same about the ripping current. As they got out in the 95ft stuff, all they saw was a line of flat swirls on the surface and they knew it was going to be a rocket coaster ride U/W. Surprisingly they said they didn't see a single shark all day. Forecast models for the currents in Jupiter deeps does not let up at all this week. Very glad you atleast got to see a bunch of the GG's.

Current this afternoon on Corridor Wreck Trek was also ripping. We didn't miss any of the wrecks but man did we blow through them. Saw 6-7 GG, 2 large loggerhead and 4-5 reef sharks of various sizes.

We had a pretty epic dive today on the Jupiter Wreck Trek. It was nice to finally meet @Manatee Diver. Current was down from yesterday and was quite manageable. We had at least two dozen GG across the three wrecks, possibly more. 30-40’ viz, 1’ seas at most, 84-85 water temps. Esso Bonair was especially loaded both bow & stern.

Video & photos to come later this week once I process them.

It was nice meeting you @Divin'Papaw went out today with JDC. They dropped us on the wreck trek, and what do we find? Zero current. We had to swim to the Zion Train. Since there was no current the Goliahts swam away staying out on the sand until most of the divers left for the next wreck. I elected to stay at the Zion as I didn't want to swim. We then went to MG-111, same thing. It was nice being able to poke around wrecks that I am normally have to hang on for dear life on them.

But crazy weekend, horrible currents to fairly normal currents to no current.

It was nice meeting you @Divin'Papaw went out today with JDC. They dropped us on the wreck trek, and what do we find? Zero current. We had to swim to the Zion Train. Since there was no current the Goliahts swam away staying out on the sand until most of the divers left for the next wreck. I elected to stay at the Zion as I didn't want to swim. We then went to MG-111, same thing. It was nice being able to poke around wrecks that I am normally have to hang on for dear life on them.

But crazy weekend, horrible currents to fairly normal currents to no current.

Ahhh, that's Palm Beach County diving for you!! LOVE IT!!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom