Goliath Grouper Aggregate 2022 - The Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Been trying fill the GG dives bucket list since 2019 which was totally cancelled due to tropical storm coming in & out literally soon as my plane landed on FLL. Hope this post is appropriate for the thread.

I remember that storm I heard it blew out the vis for like a month.

I remember that storm I heard it blew out the vis for like a month.

Hurricanes Matthew (2016) and Irma (2017) both blew out the viz for like a month. If memory serves me, all of the storms since (hurricanes and tropical storms) have at most trashed the viz for maybe 10 days to 2 weeks. I don't recall anything matching Matthew and Irma in 2018-2021. Fingers crossed we don't have an impacting storm this year!!

The key lesson though is that if a tropical system directly impacts the southeast coast of FL, it can take 2-4 weeks for the viz to return.

After Irma they had to go searching to find some of the wrecks! The hurricane shifted some of them far enough away that in the lower viz, when they dropped in on the old numbers there was nothing there! That especially applied to the more intact wrecks like the Lady Luck. The more intact the wreck is the more there is for the surge from the huge waves to grab onto and gradually pick up the wreck and move it across the sand.

If memory serves me, all of the storms since (hurricanes and tropical storms) have at most trashed the viz for maybe 10 days to 2 weeks.

I just heard it second hand. I had a trip booked that year, but had to cancel due to a medical issue that prevented me from wearing my prosthetic for like a month. They basically told me I didn't miss anything due to it.

Weather is looking good. Who is on the Saturday trip?

I'll be on the Sunday and Monday morning boats as well.

Are you on the Wreck Trek boat on Sunday morning? If so, I will keep and eye out to say hello.

Are you on the Wreck Trek boat on Sunday morning? If so, I will keep and eye out to say hello.
It appears so. I am on the Republic VII all three days. I should be easy to spot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom