Trip Report Jupiter Dive Report 10-13 August 2023

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverDave65

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just spent 4 days diving around Jupiter, three days with Jupiter Dive Center and one day shark diving with Emerald Charters. Short version is I would highly recommend both operations and we had a great time with both.

Did two 2 tank trips and one 3 tank trip with Jupiter Dive Center. Hit Capt K's reef, the wreck trek (Bonnaire) and the MG-11 and Pillars. Also the "Norman" wreck at the end of one day. Was surprised at the chilly bottom temps around 70F the first day but always around 72-73F. Viz started out at 50 feet but by the end of day 4 down to 30 ft or so. Some mild currents and some very strong currents. Some days the reef was pretty full of small fish but nothing big; other days we spotted big sting rays, occasional Goliaths and small sharks. The MG-11 and "pillars" were FILLED with Goliaths one day, around 30 of them and very impressive! Well worth the trip by itself. The dive shop was well run including daily check-in, tank fills and analysis. The crew always hauled our tanks to the boat, a nice service. Dives were all well led by capable divemasters, and the crew assist on the boat was super. Two different Captains were incredible at dropping us on the right spots for each site and putting us in with regard to the current. My partner and I had practiced negative buoyancy entries in a 17 foot pool prior to this trip and that was invaluable, as we were required to do this on several dives, including the shark dives. Pickup went well; usually by the end of some dives we were pretty well spread out at the surface and each group had to deploy an SMB. Overall fun but my partner and I found these to be somewhat challenging dives due to current, poor viz and chilly temps.

The day of shark diving with Emerald was also excellent; another very well run operation. Tank rental was coordinated with Jupiter Scuba, and they were very efficient at providing required nitrox tanks or other equipment (my buddy uses bright yellow fins which are not allowed so we arranged fins, too, for her.) The 3 dives were also well led and managed with appropriate deck assistance and the Capt dropped us into 3 different spots. We had 2 sharks join us on 2 dives, got skunked on the last one. First set of sharks were Dusky sharks, about 6 ft long, second dive we were joined by 2 10 foot lemon sharks. They all swam around us as the shark handler doled out small chum and the sharks never seemed to get too aggressive. Lots of photo and video opportunities. This was a lot of fun and a first time experience for my dive partner; I had done it once in the Bahamas.

Overall an excellent experience with both dive operators and I would repeat with both of them. Definitely not Caribbean diving but nice to just drive there from the Tampa area and not have to go through airports with all the flying hassles.

Would like to try the Pompano wrecks next time.

The MG-11 and "pillars" were FILLED with Goliaths one day, around 30 of them and very impressive! Well worth the trip by itself.
Thanks for the report and glad you enjoyed Jupiter. Trust me these chilly temps are not normal,,,just a few of us were late paying this month's ocean water heater bill...........

Thanks for the report and glad you enjoyed Jupiter. Trust me these chilly temps are not normal,,,just a few of us were late paying this month's ocean water heater bill...........
I keep reading about the chillier than usual bottom temps. Hoping that changes in the next month. I am coming out for 6 days of diving (2 days West Palm and 4 days Boynton) Sept. 22-27.

I keep reading about the chillier than usual bottom temps. Hoping that changes in the next month. I am coming out for 6 days of diving (2 days West Palm and 4 days Boynton) Sept. 22-27.

As a local I too keep hoping that it changes, but yet it keeps coming back! It does seem though that the further south you go on the Southeast coast (Southern Palm Beach County and Broward County), the less cold water is occurring. It seems to be repeating most commonly in the Jupiter area.

As a local I too keep hoping that it changes, but yet it keeps coming back! It does seem though that the further south you go on the Southeast coast (Southern Palm Beach County and Broward County), the less cold water is occurring. It seems to be repeating most commonly in the Jupiter area.
Thanks for that info. I have a buddy that dies weekly out of Boynton, so I will get the latest from him the day before packing and determine exposure protection choice(s) based on that.

It warms up quickly as you go south. WPB might be 85 and Jupiter could be 69 at depth. Then a few days later Jupiter will be back in the 80's. My guess is it has to do with the Gulf Stream being further from shore in Jupiter than WPB and an upwelling existing between the shore and the Gulf Stream.

Thanks for that info. I have a buddy that dies weekly out of Boynton, so I will get the latest from him the day before packing and determine exposure protection choice(s) based on that.
Is his name Kenny? :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom