Trip Report Finally, back at home 2023 #2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadada

Diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I was last down in June, first time this year since recovering from my broken leg at the end of last year. I had a great trip to Malpelo at the end of July.

I flew down from Philadelphia to PBI on Tuesday. The plane was completely full. Airport at both ends was a breeze. Effortless car rental at National and got my shopping for the week down the street at Winn Dixie.

Wednesday September 13, 1st day of diving

I went out with Starfish out of Boynton Harbor Marina with Capt. Chris, mate Katie, Mati was diving also. Unusual for me, I dove with a buddy, Allan, a very good diver from NY who has been coming down to the area since 2004. It was a very sunny, hot day with seas around 2 feet.

1st dive was on the Castor. North current was ripping, visibility was 20-30 feet, water was 84 degrees. There were about 10-12 Goliath Grouper on the stern and a couple of small schools of horse eye jacks. A single Bull shark made a brief appearance swimming on the port side.

The 2nd dive was at Black condo. North current was more modest with a west pull, water was 85 degrees, visibility was 30-40 feet. Nothing special, a nice leisurely dive with all of the usual reef fish. A large southern ray swam slowly south under us.

Very nice to be back home in Florida

North current was more modest with a west pull, water was 85 degrees, visibility was 30-40 feet.
Thank you for the conditions report!! Normally when we get a big Cat 4 with 48ft high waves offshore this week, our inshore dive conditions go to junk. But the NOAA forecasts have been wrong and it's been some good diving for those that can wake up in the am to see it, then jump & go. I'm hoping to get back out there, gear & tanks are sitting by the front door.......

I've missed some good diving these past few weeks and will certainly miss more in the coming couple of months. Should be back out there in Nov or Dec.

Keep the reports coming! If I can't be there myself, I enjoy diving vicariously through your reports.

Thursday September 14, 2nd day of diving

Went out with Starfish from Boynton, Capt. Chris and Ren. Another hot sunny day, seas only about a foot, visibility 50, sometimes 60 feet, water temp 85.

First dive outside of Clubhouse with crossover at the end to Gulfstream. Same buddy as yesterday. He had never dived the outside reef and enjoyed it very much. Nothing spectacular, all the usual reef fish.

Second dive at Gazebo, Briny Breezes, Castle Ledge. The Boynton reef is beautiful. All the usual reef fish. In another thread @Divin'Papaw said he likes butterflyfish. I stopped, looked around and saw pairs of foureye, spotfin, and banded all together and thought of him, recovering from his broken clavicle. Get well soon.

Friday September 15, 3rd day of diving

So, today was an interesting day. I went out of Boynton with SFDHQ Scubatyme for the first time ever. The trip was organized by my good friend Alex B, who substitute drives the boat sometimes. It was to celebrate the 10th anniversary of meeting the famous Goliath Grouper, Wilbur, who can often be found on the Castor. It turns out that Alex tested positive for Covid yesterday and could not go out, he greeted us at the dock with his N95 on.

Scubatyme was driven by Capt. Ben and the mate was Kristin. Both were very nice and very helpful for a first timer on the boat, like me. The boat was full and very crowded, at least partly due to the anniversary celebration. It was another sunny, hot Florida day. Seas were almost flat, less than a foot.

The first dive was on the Castor. I was surprised when Scubatyme moored to the Castor. In 12 years, I have only done hot drops or have been dropped to drift into the mooring ball. Mooring worked fine, you simply had to catch the mooring line and pull yourself to the ball to descend. Today's conditions were much better than on Wednesday. Current was moderate north, visibility was 60+ feet, water temp was 84 degrees. I was the first person on the bow and was rewarded by 16 Goliath Grouper stacked up and a huge school of horse eye jacks. This lasted about 10 minutes until others arrived and chased away the grouper, aggressively swimming after them with their cameras. On the way back to the stern, I encountered by old friend, Wilbur, and said hello. Ten years ago, Alex could measure him with a tape measure, as he was shorter than Alex's arm span. Today, Wilbur is a strapping, very large GG.

The second dive was on the inside of Clubhouse going into Gulfstream. Visibility was down a bit, 30 feet or so, current was mild to moderate north, and water temp was 85 degrees. I was assigned two buddies so volunteered to take the flag. They were both very good and required nothing. Nothing special, the reef was beautiful with all the usual reef fish. The most surprising thing was that Scubatyme limits the reef dive time to 50 min. Starfish and Loggerhead both have 60 min dive times out of Boynton.

Saturday September 16, 4th day of diving

Two dives out of Boynton on Starfish, Capt. Chris, mate Alex, first time I've met him, he's very good. Started as another sunny, hot day, seas around 1 foot (NOAA prediction was 3-5).

First dive on the Castor. Almost no current to start, mild north, visibility about 40 feet, water temp 82 degrees. Went to the bow, only a single GG today and no jacks. By the time I went back to the stern, the current had switched south and was building. By the end of the dive, there was moderate south current. The good news was that about a half dozen GG decided the port stern was a good place to hang out.

Second dive at Briny Breezes. Nearly no current, trickle north with an annoying west pull for the entire dive, of course, I had the flag for a group of 4. Visibility around 30 feet, water temp 84 degrees. All the usual reef fish, a single nurse shark.

Increasing clouds on the way in, lightning, thunder, pouring rain started as we came into the marina. Much better than starting earlier.

I've dived the Truefins on 4 of my 8 dives so far. I will be able to write up an impression by the end of this trip.

Sunday September 17, 5th day of diving

Went out on another two tanker with Starfish out of Boynton, Capt Chris, mate Alex. Another sunny, hot day. Seas were 1-2 feet. Today was a very nice day diving, I dived by myself. I should mention that Starfish requires solo cert and redundant gas.

First dive was outside of Clubhouse. There was a mild south current, water was 84 degrees. The visibility was 50-60 feet. I dropped down on a gorgeous green turtle, the only turtle I have seen this week. The current was light enough that you could easily swim up and down the fingers, a real luxury. All the usual reef fish were out in numbers. Alex joined me for the last 10 minutes, I was very surprised when I first saw him.

The second dive was inside of Clubhouse. The visibility was 30-40 feet and the water was 85 degrees. The current started off mild south but changed over mid dive to mild north. I ended the dive not very far from where I stated. The reef was beautiful with all the usual reef fish.

Today was to be my last dive day but my activity for tomorrow was cancelled. I called JDC regarding availability and they told me visibility was zero today and they would not try again until at least tomorrow afternoon, I passed. Will go out in Boynton again tomorrow morning. Jupiter is 30 miles north of Boynton Beach

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom