Pending changes for certifications required for JDC dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadada

Diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
After browsing the thread discussing Lemon Shark aggregation, I went to the Jupiter Dive Center website to check their calendar and noticed some notifications of changes

Starting on April 1, there will be no air dives, nitrox only, and AOW will be required on all dives except for routine 2 tank reef dives. An example Dive Portal - Available Dives This will not affect 2023 Lemon Shark dives as they end in March.

Doesn’t affect me but not surprised to see JDC leading the pack with respect to being the scuba police. They’ve always been the most anal and borderline silly. Requiring to see my Nitrox card even if I’m bringing my own tanks? Requiring O2 clean tanks to fill with banked Nitrox? I’ve never seen another operation implement the kind of rules they do. But their shop, their rules. I politely show them the cards they want to see & just get my fills elsewhere.

Requiring O2 clean tanks to fill with banked Nitrox?
Although most scuba shops will put banked nitrox into tanks that are not O2 clean, the Compressed Gas Association calls for O2 cleaning for any mix above 23.5%.

Although most scuba shops will put banked nitrox into tanks that are not O2 clean, the Compressed Gas Association calls for O2 cleaning for any mix above 23.5%.
blah blah blah blah. Not getting into that debate yet again. NO ONE DOES THAT! Except for JDC. Clearly the "rules" are not as clear as some would present them to be. But this thread is a good opportunity to make sure folks are aware. If you are bringing your own tanks and plan to have nitrox fills at JDC, they need to be O2 cleaned. If not, all they will fill them with is air. Also, if it is a dive that requires nitrox and if you bring your own tanks, they still insist on seeing your nitrox card. Shouldn't be a big deal because you should have it with you all the time regardless. But I have seen it trip some people up who have brought their own tanks and did not expect to be asked for a nitrox card. When JDC says a dive requires nitrox, they don't just mean that you must have nitrox tanks. It means they also want to see your card.

What's a JDC?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom