Future of OC trimix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Someone described the time they managed to find themselves in a burned out war wreck and ended up in an ‘ash out’ somehow with no guideline. Total zero viz. Oops.

They felt they would have died on OC, because the only way they found their way out was to wait for the ash to settle. Which took a very long time.

Not disagreeing that a CCR can buy you more time in a situation like this... but curious what happened to that guideline. Or If there was guideline.

AJ:
Yep, me too. I don't like going under 30 meters with air. Especially in cold water, getting narced easily. My body seems to react differently in warm water. Red Sea no much issues going to 40 meters.

Three cold water divers who get narked easily. Great Lakes, US north east, the Netherlands. Hmm…Could be a theme here.

Whatever about the availability of helium anyone who claims a rebreather is safer than OC is selling them. You don't need OC bailout for nothing..

Whatever about the availability of helium anyone who claims a rebreather is safer than OC is selling them. You don't need OC bailout for nothing..
So with OC you don't need to bring reserve gas? OC or CCR doesn't matter, you need to bring extra gas for when things don't go as planned.

Not disagreeing that a CCR can buy you more time in a situation like this... but curious what happened to that guideline. Or If there was guideline.
I remember that story. It was one of the reasons that steered me to a rebreather. What I remember was it wasn't a planned penatration. It was a stick my head in this doorway, not really going in, so that was the plan. Back out, I'm not out. Now inside a silted out wreck that wasn't planned to be in. A little mistake and now totally screwed. Had time to think it out. Contemplate that this is where he will die. Thought about what happened, between waiting and figuring out what went wrong, got out. Was a couple hours behind on surfacing.

AJ:
So with OC you don't need to bring reserve gas? OC or CCR doesn't matter, you need to bring extra gas for when things don't go as planned.
You can bring all the gas you like but equipment failure is still 10 times more likely with a rebreather than OC. Your not bailing off a rebreather because of a lack of gas.

Here in So Cal..

• 21/35 Trimix – $0.86 / cu.ft
  • 18/45 Trimix – $1.07 / cu.ft
  • 15/55 Trimix – $1.29 / cu.ft
  • 12/65 Trimix – $1.49 / cu.ft
  • Helium – $2.20 / cu.ft

I don't think that I ever heard anyone claiming that CCR is "safer" than OC as a general statement, and I know a lot of people who sell rebreathers. The most common version of this is the (true) point that there are specific situations where a rebreather gives you a option for survival that an OC diver doesn't have. No need to straw man the argument...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom