Future of OC trimix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is ASD accurate on the RAID 40 course? Is a BOT cross referencing standards from a different website?? And are we just letting it run free on scuba board to see what happens? And has it been confirmed that its a BOT and not just a troll?

I mean it's very impressive technology and will be the downfall of the internet, so I'm in favor of the experiment, but shouldn't it be labeled or something, so people stop arguing with it?
Recreational trimix is on optional add for RAID Deco 40.
"Divers certify to use air, nitrox, oxygen and there is a trimix option with a maximum END/EAD of maximum 30 metres/100 foot.
"

But that does not really change the AN/DP narced /Heliox situation.

I now don't think ASD is simply a bot. Though they do create some very grammatical word salad. They have had posts that I think are not just a bot generating post looking text.

Ok let's say after I finish my round of training I do a 130 foot dive on 30 percent helium.

Assuming 300 cubic foot of trimix for the dive (I know this is likely high but makes math easy)

Thats 180 dollars of helium for that dive. Not cheap but not really super expensive either. Rebreather 8.5 to 10k plus what another 4 or 5 for the training on it. How many of the above fills do I need especially since as pointed out I'm not using all 300 cubic feet on each dive.

I will likely get a breather but I run a zero dept system so it will take a few years to save for one. In the meantime I plan to enjoy not get narked at all these 100 to 130 sites we have not to mention remembering them. Plus I have to go in order for VA to pay for the classes is my understanding. Sadly I just have enough left for AN DP and trimix

I don't know how it is in other parts of the world, but in FL, 130 foot is EAN28. No Trimix required. I do these dives practically every week and so do boats full of people. Even if you do get narc'd like @Marie13 you don't need 30% helium!

Anyway, Florida is also about to experience issues with helium. I was just told this morning... brace yourselves.

A friend of mine recently went CCR route and I'm contemplating doing the same (for when I get to go deeper). However, he's not into wreck penetrations like me. My big concern is that there are lots of obstructions, ropes, lines, etc. Just this morning we were inside a wreck and my tanks/gear were scraping to get through a few tight openings, got hung up on a line which I had to cut and a thick rope got caught on my manifold and had to work around. Anyway, I'm just not sure how.... 'safe' that would be on a rebreather with additional cylinders and potential for critical failure if a CCR gets snagged somehow. Would love to hear from someone with real-world experience. Thanks!

Sorry about the quality of pics, they're just screen grabs from a video, but pictures are worth a thousand words...
1651286109780.jpeg

1651286125689.jpeg

1651286146737.jpeg

1651286175842.jpeg

1651286197692.jpeg

I don't know how it is in other parts of the world, but in FL, 130 foot is EAN28. No Trimix required. I do these dives practically every week and so do boats full of people. Even if you do get narc'd like @Marie13 you don't need 30% helium!

Anyway, Florida is also about to experience issues with helium. I was just told this morning... brace yourselves.

A friend of mine recently went CCR route and I'm contemplating doing the same (for when I get to go deeper). However, he's not into wreck penetrations like me. My big concern is that there are lots of obstructions, ropes, lines, etc. Just this morning we were inside a wreck and my tanks/gear were scraping to get through a few tight openings, got hung up on a line which I had to cut and a thick rope got caught on my manifold and had to work around. Anyway, I'm just not sure how.... 'safe' that would be on a rebreather with additional cylinders and potential for critical failure if a CCR gets snagged somehow. Would love to hear from someone with real-world experience. Thanks!

Sorry about the quality of pics, they're just screen grabs from a video, but pictures are worth a thousand words...
View attachment 720014
View attachment 720015
View attachment 720016
View attachment 720017
View attachment 720018
There is generally a greater degree of safety. As in time. So long as you are doing little dives of only a couple hours and you are not trying to milk every last minute out of the scrubber, it is very likely you could overshoot your planned dive by an hour or better and still have enough gas to pull it off.

There is generally a greater degree of safety. As in time. So long as you are doing little dives of only a couple hours and you are not trying to milk every last minute out of the scrubber, it is very likely you could overshoot your planned dive by an hour or better and still have enough gas to pull it off.
Someone described the time they managed to find themselves in a burned out war wreck and ended up in an ‘ash out’ somehow with no guideline. Total zero viz. Oops.

They felt they would have died on OC, because the only way they found their way out was to wait for the ash to settle. Which took a very long time.

My diving isn’t Florida. It’s Great Lakes shipwrecks with water temps of 40F. Maybe 20/20 would do the trick.

My diving isn’t Florida. It’s Great Lakes shipwrecks with water temps of 40F. Maybe 20/20 would do the trick.
I could see 20/20 as a cheap dil, but never as an OC gas. 20% helium isn't doing much at 220'
30/20, 25/25, both make much more sense.

There’s tremendous value in gaining deep experience. You can academically “know” that gas goes faster, but experiencing that for real gives confidence that cannot be gained by writing math down with a pen and paper.

If my RB breaks, I know what my gas requirements are and how I respond at depth because I’ve actually done it.

This. It sounds counterintuitive, but when stuff is going bad is the time to be deliberate and smooth, not try and rush and fumble through things.

There's also the aspect of managing and switching between multiple bailout bottles if the ccr poops out. OC trimix divers manage deco bottles every single dive, do that for one season and that skill gets ingrained.

I know, I've been reading it in this thread, "but helium is expensive". OC stage cave diving can also develop the bottle management skills, but the deep experience is a different matter.

I could see 20/20 as a cheap dil, but never as an OC gas. 20% helium isn't doing much at 220'
30/20, 25/25, both make much more sense.
She's talking an/dp depths, 140-150'. But yes, higher oxygen would make sense.

Spoken like someone who doesn't have a problem with getting narced.

The way my body reacts I won't go that deep anymore. That is one of the reasons I decided to go tech to begin with. Anything below 100 I will be on trimix.

Spoken like someone who doesn't have a problem with getting narced.

The way my body reacts I won't go that deep anymore. That is one of the reasons I decided to go tech to begin with. Anything below 100 I will be on trimix.
Yep, me too. I don't like going under 30 meters with air. Especially in cold water, getting narced easily. My body seems to react differently in warm water. Red Sea no much issues going to 40 meters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom