Fundies kicked my a$$

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recently signed up for GUE-F in Puerto Galera with Gordon Liew next month - will post a report after completion
I once had the opportunity to observe Gideon teaching a Fundies class. I think he's a very talented instructor.

Now I have to go and set up all my Halcyon gear & dig out my black wetsuit :wink:

I once wrote a little tune about that ... with due apologies to the Rolling Stones ... :D

I see a red wing and I want it painted black
No colors anymore I want them to turn black
I see the strokes walk by dressed in their neon clothes
I have to turn my head because their snorkel glows

I see a line of fins and they’re all painted black
My drysuit came in blue I have to take it back
I see people turn their heads and quickly look away
Like a rant from GI3 it just happens ev’ry day

I look inside my mask and see the skirt is black
I see your white tanks and I want them to be black
Maybe then I’ll fade away and not have to face the facts
It’s hard to find your team when they're all wearing black

No more will my gear come in shades of green or blue
It will be black until they make a darker hue
If I look hard enough with my canister HID
I’ll see the blue H on my teammate's BCD

I see a red wing and I want it painted black
No colors anymore I want them to turn black
I see the strokes walk by dressed in their neon clothes
I have to turn my head because their snorkel glows

Hmm, hmm, hmm,...
I wanna see it painted, painted black
Black as night, black as coal
I wanna see the sun blotted out from the sky
I wanna see it painted, painted, painted, painted black
Yeah!

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

It’s hard to find your team when they're all wearing black

I know your post was tongue in cheek and that not all DIR divers wear black... but I am reminded of when I did my Rescue course and had to find some bastard in black suit, tanks etc, and thinking to myself "this would be a whole lot easier if he was in dayglo orange!" (not that Rescue should be easy, but you get my point). And more than once the only way I've been able to see someone was from their plain alloy tanks

Crush ... congrats on taking and passing Fundies :)

I like reading about advanced training, and agree with Bob and all the others that posted that they are a better/safer diver after having taken the course, no mater what way or gear they now chose to dive in.

One of the things about taking a course that will push you and stress you, is the feeling of accomplishment you have afterwards and the finding out of that you can do it ... the only things I have that I can relate to Crush's class is my Rescue class (and even my drysuit class) that really stressed me and improved my diving .

And that's what I take away from these threads (and others on advanced training) that it's worth taking them because you will be a safer. more thoughtful diver
... if that's some kind of cult thinking, so be it

One of the things about taking a course that will push you and stress you, is the feeling of accomplishment you have afterwards and the finding out of that you can do it ... the only things I have that I can relate to Crush's class is my Rescue class (and even my drysuit class) that really stressed me and improved my diving .

Many kids have a tough transition from high school (where they were top of the class) to first-year university (where they receive their first ever "B"). Those who survive a bachelour degree and go back for more end up pummeled even more. Fundies was the first time that I was "beaten up" in scuba - I am finding myself increasingly more average in an increasingly above-average peer group. By peer group I refer to the students, and not the instructor.

Says you.

Between my Halcyon Infinity, my Rolex Sea Dweller and the PADI Master Scuba Diver card (and yes, I wear all three to the beach bar), I'm like a chick magnet.

Many female divers in the Pub have referred to you as such...

Crush, I love the "increasingly average in an above average group" idea! In anything I do, I have a tendency to pursue it until I'm surrounded by people who are MUCH better at it than I am. I love being around them, and hate being me!

Really, you won't see the full value of this class for at least six months (I'm STILL increasing in my appreciation of what my training has done for my diving, almost six years later). Not only do the skills have to mature, but the awareness of how much more fun diving is in trained teams takes a while to soak in, too.

Tomorrow, I'm heading out to Hood Canal with three trained buddies. I'm looking forward to a stress-free, seamless day of great joy in the water. As our local GUE-affiliated shop owner one said to me, "DIR is such a SIMPLE way to dive."

Halcyon now makes pink wings. But thouse i believe are not DIR. Just because they are not black. I bought my Bare because it was all black unlike DUI that had red and blue ovelays.

Tomorrow, I'm heading out to Hood Canal with three trained buddies. I'm looking forward to a stress-free, seamless day of great joy in the water. As our local GUE-affiliated shop owner one said to me, "DIR is such a SIMPLE way to dive."

You see you need to find a group that is stronger, stronger at creating stress. Than you will be following your established principles :)

Really, you won't see the full value of this class for at least six months (I'm STILL increasing in my appreciation of what my training has done for my diving, almost six years later). Not only do the skills have to mature, but the awareness of how much more fun diving is in trained teams takes a while to soak in, too.

I believe you, TSandM. A few days ago I forswore any other higher level of training, ever. Now, I think that I will still wait for quite a while, practicing, before I try to push onwards.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom