Fort Worth Quarry Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess another way would be to contact the owners of the quarry, maybe one day this week I'll drive down to the southern side that is still active and look for a sign or something to see who is operating it.

When I get back from WI. next week I would be interested in this site if you guys find anything promising looking. Probably pretty shallow, but may hold a surprise.

The way to get to it is on the corner of the 820 frontage rd and Old Decatur, there is a little dirt "road" thingy that people use right on the corner there. It is bordered by black tarp material held up by wooden stakes, but there is one part where the tarp is missing that allows access. It is really hard to see. You have to do a bit of mild "off-roading" to get there, but it is totally doable.

And for those people who are confused, I am not talking about Marine Creek Lake, and I am not talking about the pond south of 820 near Meacham field (the one with the sign pictured above).

OK. I am OUT! ! ! !

I got people. People tell me:

As far as I know there's PCB's caused by Carswell dumping them for years.. before "pretreatment" existed...causes cancer.

This is a direct quote from my people. I am out.
Y'all have fun! Laters!

OK. I am OUT! ! ! !

As far as I know there's PCB's caused by Carswell dumping them for years.. before "pretreatment" existed...causes cancer.

Y'all have fun! Laters!

Ok... your saying you know people that know that the ownders have been dumping PCB's there for years? is that what your saying?

OK. I am OUT! ! ! !

Y'all have fun! Laters!

And that statement applies directly to the quarry, not just to various bodies of water in the area? And you are sure they don't mean the cement creek pond? I wonder if it is possible to take a sample of the water to someone to test for toxins? I know that sometime in the near future the area is slated for development including a water sports recreation area. I can't find the website now, but when I find it I'll post it; it shows the artist's depiction of what they are going to turn the old quarry into. It definitely includes plans for letting people in the water.

From what I've been able to dig up it was a concrete quarry owned by a company called Lafarge, I saw nothing about any "Carswell" in there.

Anyhow, more research is needed before I'll let this one go! Thanks for looking into it though. I'll certainly need more verification before I get wet. I wonder also, if the lake is so toxic, why are there so many animals in it? I'd certainly like to know for sure.

I wonder if it is possible to take a sample of the water to someone to test for toxins?

Of course....just get a sample and take it to any number of water quality testing labs. Don't know what the charge is but I'm sure it's several hundred $$$.....

And that statement applies directly to the quarry, not just to various bodies of water in the area? And you are sure they don't mean the cement creek pond? I wonder if it is possible to take a sample of the water to someone to test for toxins? I know that sometime in the near future the area is slated for development including a water sports recreation area. I can't find the website now, but when I find it I'll post it; it shows the artist's depiction of what they are going to turn the old quarry into. It definitely includes plans for letting people in the water.

From what I've been able to dig up it was a concrete quarry owned by a company called Lafarge, I saw nothing about any "Carswell" in there.

Anyhow, more research is needed before I'll let this one go! Thanks for looking into it though. I'll certainly need more verification before I get wet. I wonder also, if the lake is so toxic, why are there so many animals in it? I'd certainly like to know for sure.

Not sure if anyone cares about a fish or duck dying from cancer.

Carswell is the airforce base off of lake worth.

I'm more worried about what I'm eating versus swimming in a quarry, all those toxins find their way into your food, look at the links I posted and look at what all is in the water in texas.

If PCB's are the only toxin in that Quarry then I'd think we are good to go as all the rest of PCB's pestisides mercury arsenic and crap I can't pronounce :)

"Not sure if anyone cares about a fish or duck dying from cancer."

My logic here is that if the lake were really that polluted, these creatures-particularly the fish and the turtles-would have a hard time replenishing their numbers. There appears to be abundant healthy life in this body of water, and that would indicate to me a reasonably low level of contaminates exist in the water.

I am no biologist, but it only seems logical...

Also, from looking at a bit of layman's data regarding these PCBs, it seems that they are only a real danger if there are multiple, long-term habitual exposures such as making contaminated fish part of your routine diet, that sort of thing. I don''t think one dive in an iffy pond would do it. Plus, (and this is not a terribly effective argument, but should be noted all the same) I've seen Fort Worth Fire Dept divers go into some awfully gross water, and none of them seem to be suffering from any weird diseases.

Anyhow, if anyone wants to checkit out with me, PM me and we'll talk further. Thanks.

Heck, a few of us here on this forum have dove in Mountain Creek Lake on a recovery and lived to tell about it.....filthy and snake ridden, shallow hot water with sub zero vis.. Some crazy ****!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom