Question Key Largo in Early Dec for new diver. Are heavy currents common?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Compared with the NC wrecks out of Morehead City, and with the exception of Spiegel in Key Largo (haven't done Bibb, Duane) I don't think current will be a big issue. That said, current on even the shallow dives like Molasses, Elbow, etc. can pick up and make things a bit more sporty than you'd like. I noticed that on all three trips down there this year (February, June, September). I've also seen that the current varies days to day and even within the trip. Funny how nature works.

I may be an outlier, but I like diving with a guide. Part of the reason is I no longer have a regular dive buddy. Second, the guides I've been fortunate to use in KL find cool stuff I'd otherwise miss. They're just on the reefs more often and know where things are. I get more out of the trip and have a better time. Another reason is my last dives in KL were 15+ years ago. I can go back in my logbook and see that I'm today I'm diving at many of the same places I dove then. But dive sites (and divers) change over time, so the guide deal works for me. I don't feel like I'm restricted by diving with a guide. But they know I'm a (long) retired instructor and we wind up just having a good time. They always teach me something new.

However, and it's a big "however," I'm not interested in being part of a group of a half-dozen with a guide. Been there, done that. But all of that can be worked out with the dive operator when booking. They're always glad to take a bit more money. Since I don't get to dive as often as I'd like, it's a reasonable (to me) tradeoff.

Operators I've used this year that I'd recommend are Amoray, Conch Republic, and Horizon.

Congratulations on getting the kiddo certified. I was fortunate to take mine on his first ocean dive there MANY years ago. He no longer dives, but I have hope for my grandchildren.

Happy diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom