first sidemount dives today ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

......While I hate to see this area in a drought, it does make swim dives in JB quite nice. :D

Like, low flow and endless viz? You guys are killing me...

Meanwhile I'm taking CPR/FA/AED solo and rescue so I can get my game on and get back into the Atlantic washing machine... (love it, it's HOME!!!)

After the dive I was telling Rob that the next time I hear somebody saying that OW folks like me are learning sidemount for the "cool factor" I'm gonna point out that diving sidemount really IS cool ... so what's their point? This whole experience has been a huge amount of fun ... and ain't having fun the whole point of diving? I'm anticipating a whole new level of "fun" once I get back home and the dryglove rings go back on my suit ...

Someone taking a purely argumentive positon on SB? Nah, never happens. :D

I love actual dive reports. Keep them coming!

After the dive I was telling Rob that the next time I hear somebody saying that OW folks like me are learning sidemount for the "cool factor" I'm gonna point out that diving sidemount really IS cool ... so what's their point? This whole experience has been a huge amount of fun ... and ain't having fun the whole point of diving? I'm anticipating a whole new level of "fun" once I get back home and the dryglove rings go back on my suit ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Great reports Bob, keep them up. I have been considering going down to see Rob for SM training for a while, you are making me wish I had done it already.

Have fun, stay safe.

Reactions: Jax
One long dive again today, to complete the circuit ... which was appropriate in so many ways.

Rob's organizing the NSS-CDS conference that starts tomorrow, and so he's got a lot on his plate right now. We got to the dive site and started gearing up and this fellow from a local TV station pulls in. He wants to interview Rob about the conference. So we got delayed about 20 minutes while that took place. Then the fellow's walking around videoing our equipment, gearing up, and our entry into the cave. Fortunately, for once I didn't have any difficulties getting four tanks on and getting all my regs and hoses routed properly. The sidemount "routine" is starting to sink in ... and so there was no swearing into my regulator to be edited out of the fellow's tape.

We swam back the mainline, dropped our stages at exactly the same place we had yesterday, and continued on past the second T, to a place where Rob put in a jump ... then another jump ... and followed that line till we got to the cookie we placed at the end of King's Canyon yesterday. Today felt so much more in control in the tight places, and as we headed back along the canyon I kept looking back to see how much "dust" I was kicking up ... and pretty pleased with what I wasn't seeing. I think as I get more comfortable with how the rig feels and where everything is, making those little adjustments and anticipating buoyancy changes with depth changes is getting more natural. I felt pretty darn good. We came back to the gold line, pulling the last of the spools we put in yesterday and headed back to the jumps we'd placed earlier in the dive. I thought it was just a simple cleanup, but Rob had something else in mind. We traced our route to the second jump ... Rob pulled that spool, and we headed back toward the jump that would take us back to the gold line. But when I got to that spot and circled the line, Rob signaled for me to continue on that line. I had plenty of gas, so figuring he wanted to show me something I shrugged and continued down the line. As I went on, the tunnel flattened out and got smaller ... and smaller ... and smaller ... till I finally found myself in a wiggle with my back against the ceiling and my tummy stirring up a heck of a lot of silt. I realized that I was about to lose the line, so I reached over and zero'd it with one hand, reaching back with the other to signal Rob to turn around before it got so bad he wouldn't see my signal. We backed up a bit and managed a turn without too much more silt-stirring, and within about 20 feet or so I was comfortable letting go of the line. Backtracking to the jump we pulled the spool and continued back along the gold line. By the time we got to the cavern we had about 15 minutes of deco obligation to deal with. I've just about figured out how to velcro myself to the ceiling and relax while blowing some oxygen bubbles, so we sat there letting the bass and perch entertain us while the clock ticked down. Finished the dive at about 108 minutes. I have to say, it was one of the most fun dives I've done yet.

After the dive I asked Rob about that restriction. He said he wanted me to find my limit. If I pushed through the hole, the gold line was about 60 feet down the line. If I didn't, we'd backtrack (which we did). I guess what I found out is that I'm not a mole ... yet ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

It was a great dive! So far this week we've seen over 3000 feet of passage in JB. Not bad for a week of diving!! Tomorrow - a special treat!

Sounds like you are having a wonderful time!

Love the description of Hole as "Utah underwater". Those domes are the prettiest cave I've seen in Florida.

heh heh...i bet madison won't seem so tight next time you get in there! sounds like y'all are having a great time! larry & i leave tomorrow for luraville & he's prepping now for our great time...after some grumbling about how his/my regs actually needed servicing & how could that possibly be since he's a tech & it's only been 2 or 3 years since he's done it...

Reactions: Jax
. . .Tomorrow - a special treat!

And what a treat it was! Awesome dive today! I am looking forward to Bob's report!

Today was my final cave dive for this trip ... and we were joined by Carl Griffing(Phreatic Fanatic) for a real treat ... Rob took me to a "big boy" cave ... Bozell.

Getting there's half the fun. We met at Edd's and loaded all our stuff into Rob's van, behind which was the boat that would get us to the dive site. We headed over to the Caverns State Park, where we launched into a very anemic-looking Chipola River for what would prove to be an eventful ride to the dive site. The river is nearly five feet below normal, and navigation through the snags was an art form ...

IMG_0804.jpg

I'm glad we had an experienced guide to handle the helm ...

IMG_0815.jpg

After a slow 20 minute or so ride we approached the spring that flows from Bozell ... at this point we got out to push ...

IMG_0824.jpg

... and pull ...

IMG_0829.jpg

... till we got to the dive site.

IMG_0830.jpg

Somewhere under there's the cave entrance.

IMG_0831.jpg

As fate would have it, we had beautiful weather right up to the point where we tied up the boat and started dressing into our undergarments ... then the heavens opened and it poured for about 15 minutes ... until we were in our suits and in the water putting our tanks on ... then the sun came back out.

We did our checks, slipped below the surface, stashed our O2 bottles on a shelf just inside the (smallish) cavern, and headed down into the cave. The entrance rather quickly becomes sidemount only ... requiring us to turn sideways and go head down till we hit about 45 ffw ... and then contort around a left turn and head back up again, to where it opens up into another spring. The next 300 feet or so were beautiful and fairly open passage until we hit another place where you really need sidemount to make it through. I was in the middle and mostly I was worried that wriggling through these tight passages I was stirring things up too much for Carl, who was behind me. But I just don't have the finesse to make it through these passages with the grace I was seeing Rob doing it. Oh well, that's what happens when you try to turn a bull into a mole ... I think I widened the passage a bit.

This cave is freak'n spectacular ... beautiful formations, obviously not much traffic, and some places that, a week ago, I'd have told you with all sincerity I'd never fit through ... or even be interested in trying to.

Oh my goodness ... this is addictive.

We made it back about 1500 feet, and just as I hit turn pressure and was about to signal Rob, he turned and signaled me ... we were in a very tight, silty passage and he said he knew we were close to turn pressure and it'd be a while before we had a better turn spot than where we were at. Good thought.

Turning around proved a bit ... interesting, and it got silty in a big way. I zeroed the line about a second or two before I zeroed the visibility ... and spent the next 30 feet or so doing a basic blackout drill. As I came out of the tight stuff it cleared right up, and Carl was just outside the passage, waiting for us. He OK'd me and I returned the signal ... actually, I thought experiencing a real siltout was kinda cool. I had the line and there really wasn't anyplace else to go but out anyway ... and it was yet another new experience for me on this trip. So I enjoyed it. Rob came out a few seconds behind me and we proceeded to exit the cave.

Coming back always seems easier. I know there's flow in there, but it's so minimal that you need to be completely still just to notice it. Vis was awesome ... when we weren't making it not-so-awesome. But the cave is fairly deep ... we were diving EAN27 ... and so we'd racked up quite a bit of deco by the time we got back to the cavern zone. Did about 15 minutes on the O2 ... for once I managed to find a completely comfortable niche to velcro myself to the ceiling, and deco was very relaxing. I used the time to replay the dive in my head, and found myself grinning at how much fun it was. Total dive time was 82 minutes ... and then it was time to pull the boat back to the river and make our way through the snags back to the boat ramp.

Here's a final pic ... offloading the boat before muscling it back onto the trailer ... with the "low tide" it was quite the effort getting it up there.

IMG_0835.jpg

Great week, and if anyone's interested in learning sidemount, I can heartily recommend Rob as an excellent person to learn it from. Besides being an awesome instructor, he's a great host and dive buddy ...

... and he has a boat that can take you to some really interesting places ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom