Sidemount BCD Options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did you have a stroke while typing that?
I read it, or at least the best I could but he clearly didn't read what I originally posted. His final thought was to buy an XDeep....which is what I already own and have been diving for 5 years now. I specialize in SM teaching and in particular, the setup of that rig.

I also have zero idea how he went from the war in Ukraine to the scuba police. Now I have a headache

My cold water rig is based on a Manta sidemount wing. It's the only thing on it I never changed. I don't know if they are still available now but I very much enjoy the valve layout on the Manta. They are inside the wing, protected, and perfectly comfortable. It does balloon at times, though, and I have no opinion on whatever their harness is.

The XT is wonderful if you dive what it was intended for, but most don't. Cave Adventurers sells a loop bungee adapter and that went on my rig rather quickly. The current LS is not bad but like Grant said, wait a couple months if you can, you may find yourself pleasantly surprised.

can you share the photos of your setup of nomad XT for sidemount pleaseeeee

Any reason you want a Nomad style rig?
I like the versatility of it, possibility to dive it with multiple setup. Since I travel alot, nomad xt offer alot of possibility.

I am curious what the SB community would recommend for a sidemount rig. Before you answer let me tell you a couple things. I dive sidemount almost exclusively and have for years. The only times I don't is when I am teaching a course where I can't use it and when I am on the rebreather. I am also a SM instructor who has spent a lot of time and energy to be a good one. I worked for one of the best ,IMO, in the U.S before leaving the country again.

I currently dive an Xdeep Stealth Tec and want to move away from Xdeep. I love my customized wing. It makes me very happy and has even allowed me to meet people who saw me on IG but never knew me in person. They see my wing at a dive site and approach me to say hi and talk diving. Yet there are reasons I won't go into here that I want to steer away from Xdeep and find another brand to dive and teach in.

I prefer to stay away from Hollis. I have used the Apex rigs and didn't like them at all. I though maybe the Razor but unsure. I know there are some other brands and models out there that are touted as being good but want to hear the opinions of those on hear as well.

So, no K2, no Apex and for the sake of this, we will say no Razor...so SB, what say you and why?
Did you ever come to a decision on another set up?

I like the versatility of it, possibility to dive it with multiple setup. Since I travel alot, nomad xt offer alot of possibility.
I thought that too, I initially bought one of the best laid out "universal style" sidemount BCDs (Armarillo) but honestly I don't see back mounting with it. So when then chance came to buy an Xdeep I did.
The Armadillo is now for sale if you really want that style of BCD. It's definitely better than the Nomad for sidemount.

Back
Top Bottom