Sidemount BCD Options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaWithTurk

Bubble Blowing Buddha
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am curious what the SB community would recommend for a sidemount rig. Before you answer let me tell you a couple things. I dive sidemount almost exclusively and have for years. The only times I don't is when I am teaching a course where I can't use it and when I am on the rebreather. I am also a SM instructor who has spent a lot of time and energy to be a good one. I worked for one of the best ,IMO, in the U.S before leaving the country again.

I currently dive an Xdeep Stealth Tec and want to move away from Xdeep. I love my customized wing. It makes me very happy and has even allowed me to meet people who saw me on IG but never knew me in person. They see my wing at a dive site and approach me to say hi and talk diving. Yet there are reasons I won't go into here that I want to steer away from Xdeep and find another brand to dive and teach in.

I prefer to stay away from Hollis. I have used the Apex rigs and didn't like them at all. I though maybe the Razor but unsure. I know there are some other brands and models out there that are touted as being good but want to hear the opinions of those on hear as well.

So, no K2, no Apex and for the sake of this, we will say no Razor...so SB, what say you and why?

The brand politics is something I struggle with as well for which rig I dive. I'm currently using a Dive Rite Nomad but the XT that I dive is certainly not ideal for you.

Razor is another company that I struggle to support.

Unfortunately I'm not the right guy to give advice on this despite my background in sidemount because I don't dive AL80's in sidemount and have been a bit out of the R&D side of sidemount rigs for the last couple of years

The brand politics is something I struggle with as well for which rig I dive. I'm currently using a Dive Rite Nomad but the XT that I dive is certainly not ideal for you.

Razor is another company that I struggle to support.

Unfortunately I'm not the right guy to give advice on this despite my background in sidemount because I don't dive AL80's in sidemount and have been a bit out of the R&D side of sidemount rigs for the last couple of years

Brand politics is absolutely it!! I have been in a Dive Rite rig and wasn't a fan. Well, when I get my Cave 1 (hopefully this year) and dive cold water with steels, I will give you a shout for sure.

Can of worms!

I’d wait another month or two and then look at available options. Having just spent a few days next to a Razor 4, it’s slick, but still isn’t the prettiest rig in the world if you need lift. The currently available dive rite Nomad LS is lightyears ahead of the rest of their lineup.

Can of worms!

I’d wait another month or two and then look at available options. Having just spent a few days next to a Razor 4, it’s slick, but still isn’t the prettiest rig in the world if you need lift. The currently available dive rite Nomad LS is lightyears ahead of the rest of their lineup.

LOL it is a can of worms. I have a few options in mind but wanted to see what came up here. I am in no hurry, just thinking ahead. Probably need to design my own or work with a manufacturer but that costs money I don't have or I would need the clout I also don't have so here we are haha

What are the issues with the particular brands?
That would be a topic for another thread as it could get messy. But I also prefer to not speak negatively about any brand on a public forum or in person for that matter. That includes manufacturers as well as dive agencies. Actually, I am not allowed to speak negatively about any other agency or instructor per the standards of my particular agency.

I will talk to my friends about it sometimes but I prefer to try shine a positive light on the industry rather than a negative one as the negative one is what most pay attention to these days.

What are the issues with the particular brands?

You'll see in many of my posts when people are asking about gear that if they have any aspirations of working with a dive shop they should behave and dive the brands that the shops are selling. When you are an instructor you also want to be diving gear that not only you believe in but from a company who's values that you agree with. I will not get into my particular gripes with different brands of gear as that is personal, as are Turks, but it certainly creates a list of gear that I will not dive.
Most agencies will not allow an instructor to speak negatively about specific divers/instructors/mfg's/agencies so best to not open that can of worms.

... so best to not open that can of worms.
I understand.

I just hate being ignorant. I have to settle for being patient and discovering the issues for myself over time.

Brand politics is absolutely it!! I have been in a Dive Rite rig and wasn't a fan. Well, when I get my Cave 1 (hopefully this year) and dive cold water with steels, I will give you a shout for sure.
which rig in particular? they have had quite a few duds over the years IMO

@L13 much of it is not down to a safety issue but personal issues with the company but if you have any in particular feel free to PM me and I'll open up a bit more there

Back
Top Bottom