Sidemount BCD Options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My experience is rather limited, but what little I can offer is:
  • I do NOT like ScubaPro wings.
  • I do NOT recommend the "DIY harness with plates." The problem I had was they "collapse" too easy. Maybe I did something wrong? I swapped mine out for a soft (nylon), which turned out much better.
  • I really like the UTD Signature Series Sidemount Wing, but it doesn't seem to be sold anywhere. It dumps air easy and is fairly streamlined. Can even be used for a back-mount tank, though I'll probably never do that.
  • Sidemounting.com has some reviews of various Sidemount systems, but those videos might be behind a paywall.
  • I just purchased a Hollis SMS 100, but have no experience with it yet.
Actually, I am not allowed to speak negatively about any other agency or instructor per the standards of my particular agency.
These kinds of contract terms are absurd, especially since you're not an employee.
It’s just easier for us to take our aluminum backplate BPW’s for single tank shallow reefs. They pack SUPER small.
My current SM setup packs small. Though I haven't tried making a minimalist BPW setup.

For vacation, or shallow 1-tank dives, I often monkey-mount, with an AL80 + Pony.

These kinds of contract terms are absurd, especially since you're not an employee.
I don't have any issue with it. I fully believe in promoting diving in a positive light. Bashing companies or other agencies does nothing good of the industry. There are enough arrogant and toxic people in the industry and I choose not be one of them.

For the record, there are many more positive, fun and generally wonderful people in and around the industry than there are arrogant people. Figured I should state that before any backlash came my way.

To be honest dude, I understand all your points. But by giving vague explanations, you actually do more “bad press” than by not saying anything.

You could just say you wanted a change or something like that instead of emphasizing that you do not want to rep them or have anything with thise brands.

Just my 2c.

To be honest dude, I understand all your points. But by giving vague explanations, you actually do more “bad press” than by not saying anything.

You could just say you wanted a change or something like that instead of emphasizing that you do not want to rep them or have anything with thise brands.

Just my 2c.
That is almost exactly what I said in my OP but I got some backlash so I explained a little more without going into full detail.

XDEEP has 3 options, not really digging Katana or OMS. Just don't see, why someone not JPN would name a BCD Katana. I'm not a British diver, so, I stay away from British brands. They cold water dive, while I dive clear blue water tropics & islands - paradises. Dive Rite is popular in the U.S, if that's you thing, to stay local & keep it stateside but those cavers are restrictive, they're still rec & try to be their own SCUBA police, by trying to takeover public places & waters. I don't have any loyalty what-so-ever to a particular company - whichever one services the best at best price.

Plus, for SM, with the Ukraine War goin-on, now that RUS took 2 seas, not digging British or U.S brands that won't take any seas or oceans. XDEEP

XDEEP has 3 options, not really digging Katana or OMS. Just don't see, why someone not JPN would name a BCD Katana. I'm not a British diver, so, I stay away from British brands. They cold water dive, while I dive clear blue water tropics & islands - paradises. Dive Rite is popular in the U.S, if that's you thing, to stay local & keep it stateside but those cavers are restrictive, they're still rec & try to be their own SCUBA police, by trying to takeover public places & waters. I don't have any loyalty what-so-ever to a particular company - whichever one services the best at best price.

Plus, for SM, with the Ukraine War goin-on, now that RUS took 2 seas, not digging British or U.S brands that won't take any seas or oceans. XDEEP

Did you have a stroke while typing that?

Holy f—k man. That is unreadable. Get to a computer and retype that if you did it on your phone. Wtf are you talking about with scuba police and whatnot.
I’m nervous that even if you retype that you’ll still be talking gibberish

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom