first sidemount dives today ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did my first sidemount dive in Puget Sound last evening. Showed up for our usual Thursday night dive only to find out that in my absense my buddies had planned a long, multi-stage, multi-scooter, multi-deco tour of Elliott Bay. Not wanting to get into something that aggressive for my first cold-water dive in sidemount, I opted for a solo dive ... just me and my scooter. Since this was my initial cold-water dive in the rig, and I already had my scooter along, I had opted to leave the camera home. Sorry I did ... about mid-way through the dive I came across a smallish (about five feet in length) sturgeon ... only the second one I've ever seen while diving.

I was pleased to find that the way Rob and I had set up my bungees works perfectly while wearing dry gloves. The pull dump, on the other hand, is going to need some modification ... or a slightly larger knob ... I had a lot of trouble finding it because of the lack of being able to feel it with the gloves on. And that's not something you want to be spending several seconds hunting around for ... when ya need it, ya need it right now. So this week-end I'll be addressing that issue. Otherwise, the dive was intentionally short, because I didn't take enough weight and when my tanks got down to about 2000 psi I could tell that if I let them get too much lower I was gonna be light. So I headed in.

This rig definitely feels more streamlined on a scooter than my backmount rig did ... even with those fat ol' LP95's under my arm. Gonna be much nicer with HP100's, I suspect ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob - Great to read your transition to SM going smoothly in the northwest.

I can sympathize with the "lack of being able to feel with the gloves on." I hate going back to my blue Smurf gloves when I'm diving local after being bare hand in FL. :depressed:

I want to thank you for being so awfully brave allowing Donna and I to view your class and fun dive videos while we were in Marianna together, and without first viewing it yourself. You ROCK in my book and even more so since I've met you. :hugs:

Meeting you two was one of the highlights of the trip ... hope we get a chance to dive together sometime ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Meeting you two was one of the highlights of the trip ... hope we get a chance to dive together sometime ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

:hijack:

We will dive together. You can't get rid of us now that we've [-]stalked [/-]met you in Marianna. We're stuck to you like white on rice, like stink on sh*t, like....well...you get the general idea. :D

We'll either pop over to Puget Sound to meet Lynne and you, or we can meet in Mexico or in FL again.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program about your successful transition to sidemount. :)

Bob, it's great to hear the bungees worked with the dry gloves! Remember, if nothing else, a golf ball will definitely work for the pull dump... :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom