first sidemount dives today ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Watching this with interest... This past year I came to the conclusion that I will probably go with sidemount rather than doubles. You are adding data to my hunch.

Reactions: Jax
:cool3: Darned crack dealers -- don't you just love them! Welcome to the comfort zone. :blinking:

It does grow on you--I've got a little list of things I want to do on the next trip to the cenotes.

Yesterday (Day 1 of sidemount for Bob) -

Bob: I can't see myself ever going into the small stuff.

Today (Day 2 of sidemount for Bob), I plan a special dose of his crack for Bob's 2nd dive, 4th in sidemount. -

Bob: (sounding very much like Tony the Tiger) That was GREAT! I like the small stuff. I can see how people get drawn to that.

And that wasn't even my best crack. I'm saving that for the end of the week... :crafty:

:spit:

(Jax is NOT going to make that statement, "not going into the small stuff . . . for her, SIZE MATTERS!)

Omigod ... if I thought yesterday was fun, it was just a warmup. Today the fat guy was singing. This sh!t's addicting. First dive was my initial dive in my new rig, and I wanted to keep it simple for a shakedown cruise. So we did about 1100 feet on the mainline and back out, with a few skills along the way. Had some minor issues with weighting, something about the way I had the right tank set up wasn't just exactly perfect ... and I forgot to change what I knew to be a weak battery in my backup BT and it went dead on me about halfway thru the dive. So on SI we got all that straightened out and dive 2 was just exactly perfect. Rob said we were going to try some smaller stuff ... well ... OK (I sez lookin' kinda dubious). He assured it it wasn't that bad ... "Bob, it's all back-mountable" ... yeah, sure, but not PNW-open-water-diver-sometimes-cave-tourist-who-happens-to-resemble-a-large-harbor-seal back mountable. I don't think we ever got more than 500 feet inside the cave ... but I do think we hit every jump within that 500 feet.

Got to the first restriction and I watched Rob glide thru with ease. OK ... here comes the fat guy ... :shocked2:

Bump ... wiggle ... bump ... wiggle ... thru.

Holy crap ... that was ... FUN! Show me some more ... :D

So we convoluted, got back to the gold line, jumped again ... and again ... got back to the gold line ... found another jump ... damn Rob, how many spools did you bring anyway? On the turnaround, we're coming up to the second jump back and just as I'm circling his spool he tosses an OOA at me. Hah ... this time I remembered which reg I was breathing and passed him the right one (well, at least it didn't snap back in my face like it did on on the first dive when I attempted to hand off my necklace ... I hate it when that happens). Got back to the cavern, picked up our O2 bottles, did some tank drills (this time I reached them much easier than the earlier dive) ... and exited at about 70 minutes.

What a fun dive. Can't wait to see what tomorrow brings.

What I REALLY can't wait for now is to go home and wear this rig on a scooter dive ... there's these pilings I want to play around on ... ::D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

don't sell *all* the dubs, buddy. they might be a good tool for something. hey, are you going to still be there this coming weekend? we're coming in to luraville saturday.
Hi Marci ...

I'm gonna be at the NSS-CDS conference on Saturday ... then head down to Panama City for a Sunday charter. Sounds like I'm just gonna miss you and Larry. Would've been great to see you again ... we'll hook up for another dive sometime ... I promise.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

LOL, your such a schoolgirl :wink:

Glad your having fun, Robs the right guy for that kinda stuff for sure.
Today I'm sure there were times when I was giggling like a little girl ... :D

If this was any more fun, somebody would try to make it illegal ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Oh, Bob, you're making me jealous! I'm going to order one of the Razor setups, I think, and then try to sit on my hands and not play with it too much before I get down to MX and have Steve help me set it up right.

(Sorry, Rob, but the simple harness won . . . the Nomad was just too bulky for me.)

Back
Top Bottom