ORCATORCH TD01 Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

loganj0

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Greetings. So I got the OrcaTorch TD01 about a month ago. I've been trying out a couple different light options so I figured I'd give the headlamp style a try. For those you are don't like to read....I actually really liked the light. It was bright, secure on my head and well made. For those that like to read here is more of my thoughts. I got the light from Amazon directly from the OrcaTorch store.
For reference I am diving dry in sidemount so a long hose configuration. I have about 60 sidemount dives and 120 total water temp was about 39 degrees Farhenheit. My biggest apprehension about the light was having it rest over top of my mask. When looking at it I wondered if it could be a failure point if I needed to deploy my long hose using the S-drill, would the hose snag the light, preventing my from quickly deploying the reg or would it hit my mask and flood it? The short answer is no. I practiced multiple times doing an S-drill and had 0 issues with hitting the light. The band that was sent was snug to my head and I felt it was secure sitting on top of my 5mm hood.
When it comes to the actual light it is very well constructed. It seems pretty solid and durable. It has a highbeam and low beam setting. Both had a nice wide angle giving you a good field of view. The high beam is very bright, the low beam also bright. It also has a high and low setting with a red light as well as an "SOS" red light function. I've got to work on my underwater photography skills to figure out the best times to use the red light function, but I'm looking forward to trying.
The switch mechanism is very easy to use. I was diving 5 mm gloves (dry gloves were leaking) and switching between the different settings on the light was very easy. I did practice a few times with dry gloves (on the surface) on and was able to switch it without issue.
The battery life lasted for my entire dive, plus some. I dove switch from high to low several times for about 90 minutes.
The mount is a standard go pro mount so you could use it in any standard go pro set up.
I also used the light above the surface to help change out a light fixture in my basement. It did not get overly hot and worked like a charm.
I'm very happy with the purchase, well worth it. I'd definitely recommend it. Also you can't beat the price of it.

Attached are a couple photos of me using it. In one of them you'll see my long hose sticking out a little more than I usually have it but, it was towards the end of my dive after I had practiced the S-drills...so don't beat me up too much lol.

Attachments

• 20231115_164157_17.JPG
    20231115_164157_17.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 418936787_122109333578172476_3182300172773131137_n.jpg
    418936787_122109333578172476_3182300172773131137_n.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 36

Back
Top Bottom