First Piece of Equipment - Recommendations??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The first thing I bought was my underwater camera. (After my mask and fins)
I was a single mom when I became a diver and couldn't afford much.
I just had to have my own pictures.
:gorgeous:

Hi O-ring from NC,
I see you have flushed out the BP crowd, but there are still some of us BC users around (Ranger).

I have a little different take on the question. That is, what type of diving are you planning on doing- now and in the future? As I see it, this has a large bearing on what equipment you will want/need and how much to spend. For instance, if almost all of your diving is say shallow Caribean reef diving, a mid priced reg, a simple computer and a travel BC would do nicely. On the other hand, it you intend to get into, oh say cave diving in the future, then a Hylcon wing and BP with the best reg you can get your hands on is more the way to go. Maybe some where in the middle is what you need. Only you can answer that question.
Another question to ask yourself is "what options/gismos/features do you want/need or just gotta have or and on the other side what can you do without. Do you want things like intergrated weights or pockets or the ability to handle twin tanks or nitrox on the computer. The best way I know to determine this is to learn as much as you can about the equipment that's available and then rent, beg, steal or borrow different gear until you know what YOU want and need. What I like or need really does not matter, it's you who has to be happy and comfortable in the equipment.

The Zeagle gear you are looking at will do a nice job for any rec diving you care to do, the Ranger being the limiting item, will do nicely until you start to getting into twins and more demanding demanding diving. Here again, do you see this kind of diving in your future? Another "problem" I personally have with the Ranger is it's actually a lot more BC than I need for most of my diving. It's fairly heavy and the bladder has a lot more lift than I need and it takes up a lot of my suitcase. I am looking at an Escape or Scout as a travel BC for that reason.

On a different subject, are you going to be diving Lake Rawlins any this summer? I am going to try to make a couple of trips if I can, may see you there.

For curiosity's sake, what's the price range on a basic Ranger? Does that include weight pockets?

Originally posted by metridium
For curiosity's sake, what's the price range on a basic Ranger? Does that include weight pockets?

I think that the MSRP is around $650 without the lumbar pad or weight pockets. Although you can find it cheaper... you don't really need the weight pockets, the weights won't slip through the ripcord system...

Originally posted by metridium
The weight pockets are integral....
And you might be able to catch one here....
On its way to ebay....
There is a thread going on right now about that somewhere here.

I had a friend that want to sell his for $75 but fortunately I think I talked him out of it.... still might end up on ebay but should fetch $150~$250.

Originally posted by O-ring
On the backplate issue...I am not that familiar with them, but I have been doing some looking around and I can see the advantages in modularity and definitely scalability as I get more technical in my diving....do you think something like the Halcyon secure harness and backplate and pioneer 27 wings would work out ok?

The Halcyon system is designed to suit the needs of both recreational divers and tech divers. With the 27lb wing, you would have an ideal setup for a single tank and wetsuit. What you have with a BP/wing is the best in simplicity, efficiency, streamlining, and adaptability. It's not pretty looking or "techy" like some of the BC's out there, but it's a very efficient piece of gear, and a very efficient purchase too.

More or less pricey than a standard BC?

It can be had often for much less than a rec BC and a lot of "techy" BC's too.

Do you add pockets and things to the webbing straps or belt-type pouches? Can I get integrated weights in a halcyon/backplate type system?

I believe Halcyon still sells a pocket that fits onto the waist strap on the right side (if not using a canister light). If not, you can get pockets put onto your wetsuit easy enough. You can also get the W/I too, but that's kinda pricey. The nice thing about the simple harness/wing combo is that it doesn't attract a lot gizmos and doodads that do nothing but clutter everything. By design, BP/wings promote simplicity.

Take care.

Mike

ohh ohh... I want to put in my 2 cents here....

Wetsuit first (at least is was for me being 6'5" it was tough to find a rental suit that fit well and wasn't 20 years old) and the "ick" factor and the fact that a brand new suit is SOOO Much warmer, which matters here in so cal

second REG (breathing is important, especially when you are underwater) with a decent set of guages to start

then finally on to a bc (which could totally change by the time you get to it) if you buy a bc right off the bat... by the time you have the rest of your gear, yer ready to trade it in for something different to suit your needs

then a GOOD computer like the Cobra you mentioned

lastly a good steel tank, Faber/PST or the likes

after that yer dialed in, at least until that new thing that you just gotta have comes out next year :D

Originally posted by jetblast00

I think that the MSRP is around $650 without the lumbar pad or weight pockets. Although you can find it cheaper... you don't really need the weight pockets, the weights won't slip through the ripcord system...
If I recall correctly, I paid $495.00 for my Halcyon SS backplate with 36# wing. The ACB pockets brought the total to around $620.00, equivalent to the Ranger price you mentioned.

OK, if you're on a budget, you can go another route. See, a plate is a plate and webbing is webbing. There's a guy named Fred Tagge (AKA Fred T on this board and others) who makes SS and AL plates and sells the webbing/hardware packages. The only important part of the BP/wing combo is the higher quality Halcyon wing. E-mail Fred for a price sheet: ftagge@goldinc.com.

Basically, you would buy the BP, the webbing, hardware, and the Halcyon wing and take the hour or so to assemble it yourself. I'll be doing this for my wife in the spring (she's in the process of getting certified). You can get the basic BP/wing easily under $450 or so. You would use these links to assemble everything:

http://gue.com/equipment/backplate6.html

http://www.gasdiving.co.uk/pages/misc/kit/harness_2.htm

So, as you can see, it's not rocket science. Buying the Halcyon combo would be fine, but if you're on a budget, go the Fred T/Halcyon route and save yourself some moola.

Take care.

Mike

As far as the harness goes i think i learned more by doing it myself. I think you should get the kit from FredT and DIY. I thought my last harness was setup well, i was happy with it. Then i decieded to redo it with 1 continuous length of webbing, the difference between my old and the new harness is night and day. Im as familar with my harness as i am my GF now:)

i like the hands on approach, i feel i learn more. yeah its just a harness but theres no question it takes time to set it up correctly. Its a good learning experience, try it. I think it will make you a better diver. Just slapping on what you bought is mindless, understand why it is the way it is.

sorry for rambling but i feel DIY on some of your equipment makes you a better diver.

Andy

Do it the cheaper way, i think you will get more out of it and become a better diver in the long run.

Back
Top Bottom