Fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have splits. There is one between each toe and one between each finger but I'm not a particularly efficient swimmer and wouldn't use that as an model for designing a swim fin.

But wait, they produce little vortexes that make you go faster! :rolleyes:

From what I have observed, most divers don't have a good idea of kicking technique. They just move their feet in the hopes of moving forwards -- with splits, this works because you have pieces of fin flopping around all over the place. Heck, most divers don't even attempt to use the fin, they just move their feet as if there's no fin attached...they're clueless to the idea of using the blade of the fin to propel yourselc.

Since there's a big hole down the middle, splits take almost zero effort to move. People are lazy -- which do you think most people would choose? Besides, half of scuba these days seems to be a fashion show, and splits are no exception. How many ridiculous fashions do we see above the water that serve no purpose?

I sincerely believe that if most people were shown how to frog kick with paddle fins, they'd laugh at the idea of splits.

I feel a good analogy would be comparing fins to cars. Splits would be some old jalopy from the 60s or 70s with a big dead spot in the middle of steering. Gets you where you need to go, but isn't particularly accurate. Jets are more of a precision race car -- gets you where you need to go with fantastic handling, control, and power.

Splits are fine for people who want to silt up the bottom and who have no kicking technique. I see them as a crutch.

It's a myth ... any fin (even Jets) will silt up the bottom if you flutter kick and get your fins outside the slipstream. The reason split-fin users tend to silt things up is because the fin is so easy to overkick.

They're not a crutch ... they have a legitimate application for a lot of recreational divers. They do need to be used properly, and that requires some technique and practice. But properly used, they can provide benefits to the diver who doesn't demand precision and doesn't mind the limitations the design places on doing back kicks.

They are definitely not optimal for people who want to dive in caves or wrecks ... or who simply enjoy diving doubles. Some of the stiffer models can be used for those applications, but a good stiff paddle fin will give you better precision.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Scubaboard should be split into three seperate boards:

Scubaboard A-- for the BP/wing wearing, DIR forever, JetFins rule paddle fin frog kickers who use a V planner and everything secured with bungee and cave line and who like each thread properly catagorized.

Scubaboard B-- for the poodle jacket wearing thermoplastic split fin flutter kickers with computers and wireles transmitters and everything on a retractor and who like to start multiple threads about which gizmo I should get in the wrong forums.

Scubaboard C -- for normal people :wink:.

N

Normal people don't read ScubaBoard ... :lotsalove:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

No marine animal that I know of has a deep split right down the middle like split fins. If you are aware of any, please post a photo so we can all see.

Grunt sculpin ... :D

CIMG3093.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Grunt sculpin ... :D

CIMG3093.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Wouldn't be much of a marketing campaign.

"Get your Grunt Sculpins! Now in 25 designer colors! Designed to triple your speed!

Grunt Sculpins. For when you just can't wait to get to the end of the dive!

No marine animal that I know of has a deep split right down the middle like split fins. If you are aware of any, please post a photo so we can all see.
I don't care for splits, I like my jets, but whatever works best for someone is fine with me. I would like to point out to all you scooter users that no marine animals have propellers either (well there is one, but it's a microorganism).

Less work for the same effect, hmmm lower SAC??? possibly???

Ever tried a drysuit? Try it (for added bonus include doubles to that equation), and you'll see why some people are not impressed with any type of a too flexible or soft fin.

It translates as much more work for the same effect, at least for me, plus increased SAC. YMMV.

Splits probably have their uses, but if you're in an average shape, not super athletic, you can also do better with regular fins. Splits are probably ok for warm water, no current, simple dives, I have no doubt about that. Jets on the other hand are good for any condition. That's one pair of fins less in the inventory, so they win.

Back
Top Bottom