Fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fin choice is dependant on the use and the diver’s personal taste, budget and other factors. In my opinion, there is no one perfect fin for every diver.
For me, when I dive the Catalina Dive park, I like my Omega Flip fins. Very easy to exit the stairs. For the warm water vacation dives I use my Cressi Reactions, light weight for air travel, durable and have plenty of power. For the beach/surf dives, I’ll use my inexpensive H2O Thrusters, heavy and plenty of horsepower. When I take a casual local boat dive, I’ll grab the Omegas or the Cressis.

My lovely bride has also run the gauntlet of fins as well. She has fallen in love with her Atomic Splits with spring straps. Frankly, after seeing how much she loves ‘em, I plan on adding a set to my inventory. I also used a set of tried and true Jets. But that was years ago. They were fine but quite heavy and after losing one in the surf, I never replaced it.

Bottom line is there is NO prefect fin for everyone and every dive situation. Sometimes I think people who restlessly promote one type for all and the “if you don’t use these you are not doing something right” are only trying to justify to themselves why they use theirs, secretly wishing they had a nice pair of splits for that relaxing dive in some remote tropical location.

Buy the fins you like, forget the rest and most of all have fun!

The consequence is that you have to do 2x-3x as many kick cycles to move the same distance.

So like downshifting a ten speed bicycle. Do more peddles to cover the same ground at an easier pace. got it. LOL I am messing with you btw. I have both jets and splits and I just prefer my splits. I dive in southern california and dont use doubles or a drysuit so they work perfect for my conditions. I consider myself in decent condition, I run every other day and go to the gym I just dont feel like working my arse off if I dont need to so i use my splits.

Anyone with split fins could duct tape the fin along the split on both sides for awhile and try it out as a non split fin...see if it feels any better.
I should have tried this out on my wifes Atomics before she sold them.
I'm curious to know if anyone would end up liking them better.....they'd generate a little more thrust per kick this way. Of course you'd have that pesky "more effort" thing going on.:D

I don't see how it's possible to have it both ways. If there's less effort on the diver's part (called more efficient) then you have to be getting less output or thrust per kick. I could spin it the other way and say that a jet is "more efficient" because I have to kick fewer cycles to go the same distance (if everything else is equal) than with a split....of course that wouldn't be accurate either. A jet may very well be "more efficient" in a current.
they both obviously work well...it's not like we ever see another diver stationary in the water while kicking furiously:wink: unless we introduce the current into the equation.:eyebrow:

Split fin= kick more rapidly with a lighter feeling push each time.
Jet fin= kick at a slower pace with a heavier feeling push each time.

You can't really say one is more efficient than the other.
It's all feel.
Ya feel me?

I think some people are more suited for certain types of exercise though. For instance, if going at a slow steady pace, I can ride my bike for hours straight without stopping. If I encounter a hill and try to power up it, I quickly run out of gas. Some people can power up a hill for an extended period of time though.

As I said, I like my Atomics but given the opportunity, I'd like to try some frog fins because I do like the frog kick. It feels very natural and leisurely compared to a flutter kick.

I say different strokes for different folks!

My first set of fins was Atomic Splits and they were terrific! The only kick I knew was the flutter kick, and I wasn't even good at that. Right before I received my OW cert I had to teach myself to swim a month before taking the class. In my opinion the splits are terrific for just that kick.

When my diving started to improve I tried to frog kick, helicopter kick, and backward kick, but I just couldn't get it. That's when I switched to Jets and now I can do Frog kicks and all variations of it effortlessly. I know there are some out there that say they learned to do all these kicks on splits, and to them I say good on ya! Because I just couldn't figure it out at all Ha ha ha.

I usually dive with doubles now and I can't even imagine using splits especially if I'm carrying three stage bottles. Hmmmmm I'd like to try that out in the pool someday.

What it comes down to in my humble opinion is Atomics are great fins for the flutter kick, but I feel that the frog kick is so much more efficient, easier to control and graceful. It makes me feel like I'm gliding through the water much like a fish.

I've only tried one split fin, the Atomic, the translucent one. In fairness, I'd probably like split fins, if I ever tried a different type. I felt the big "rods" that run along either side of the fin were too flexible on the fins I tried.
If their were a split fin out their that had stiffer sides, that would probably be a good compromise.
I'd probably dig 'em.
I don't feel the need to use anything other than my jets w/ spring straps at the moment.
But I like new technology and designs, so I'm always checking out new stuff.
When the right lure comes out...I'll bite.
Sometimes the money burns a hole in my pocket.:D

although I am a loyal Forcefin diver, I have played with many of the splits out there and found most of them to be very good fins. Although I don't like the Atomics very much. I have seen those little panels that they use fall out and/or dissintrgrate. I much prefer the Apollo Bio Fin or the Biofin XT for a little more umph. The all natural rubber is a great material to make fins from and they last a long time, asssuming that you don't leave them in the sun. Bottom line, better in price, function and durablility.

However- I think the Foil Force beats both the Atomics and the Apollo. Although the feel is similar the foot pocket on the Force Fin version is much more comfortable and better harnesses the power of my legs.

I've only tried one split fin, the Atomic, the translucent one. In fairness, I'd probably like split fins, if I ever tried a different type. I felt the big "rods" that run along either side of the fin were too flexible on the fins I tried.
If their were a split fin out their that had stiffer sides, that would probably be a good compromise.

You might like to try an all rubber split like the Oceanic V-12. They are a much heavier fin than most splits and as such provides more power. I'm not saying you throw out your Jets but you may like them.

I use twine to fasten boards to my feet. All of you "rubber finners" are godless heathens.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom