Extremely BAD News: Dutch Springs likely closing permanently ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah... but not sure it's impossible. After all, Dutch ran for 40 years, allowing solo diving (with card and transponder). So it's certainly doable. And I would be fine if they required a buddy, it's not like it's solo or nothing for me. I only ever did OC solo diving there, anywaty.

But I'm not going to start hiring DMs or pressuring friends to supervise me.
I'm a bit perverse. If I was diving your rig, I'd hire the rent-a-DM for one dive and see how they figure out managing it.

I've lived in Philadelphia since 1988, have been a very active diver from here since 1997. I have never been to Dutch Springs and had no intention of ever going. However, I realize the importance of Dutch Springs for local training at many levels. I can't imagine how local scuba operators will complete training without Dutch Springs. Not everyone can do a referral to Florida or the Caribbean. Best of luck to Verplanck.

I've lived in Philadelphia since 1988, have been a very active diver from here since 1997. I have never been to Dutch Springs and had no intention of ever going. However, I realize the importance of Dutch Springs for local training at many levels. I can't imagine how local scuba operators will complete training without Dutch Springs. Not everyone can do a referral to Florida or the Caribbean. Best of luck to Verplanck.

We were spoiled here. For much of the country, if you want scuba certification that does mean a trip to warm water. It's not a cheap sport, and there is no fundamental right to completing your certification locally.

"They paved paradise and put up a parking lot
With a pink hotel, a boutique, and a swinging hot spot
Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you got 'til it's gone"

- Joni Mitchell

I have never been to Dutch Springs and had no intention of ever going.
If you ever do end up there, head through the 'Black Forest' then go south of the dynamite shack.

Someone should start a picture thread of all the cool places in that quarry, it really was a rather nice place for those who could tolerate buddy diving.

NEDEG.jpg

NEDEG hardhat diver walking through the student area...

Wow. Much better viz than my local quarry!

Nope. Been in there dozens of times. Those are outliers! Vis usually about 2-3ft on a great day.

Nope. Been in there dozens of times. Those are outliers!
Nah. I'm no Dutch fanboy, but vis has been getting increasingly better as the zebra mussels got firmly established. 2-3' on a great day?

Daily viz has to do with weekend masses of OW students. One can always find a nice clear spot well away from the rototillers.

Here is the bottom of the worst part of the quarry when it had time to settle out:

Bottom.jpg

I was there, I took the hardhat pics.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom