Extremely BAD News: Dutch Springs likely closing permanently ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nope. Been in there dozens of times. Those are outliers! Vis usually about 2-3ft on a great day.

Been there hundreds of times. Never seen 2-3 foot vis, and you know that I know what that is from the railroad bridge!

Yes, there were a few months a couple of years ago when we cancelled our photography workshop for an algae bloom, but that was the outlier. Usually very reasonable vis for training, we had 50 divers for our Intro to Northeast Diving program this season.

The video I posted was also shot in the east end, which does tend to be better vis. But it's typically around 10-20 in most of the quarry.

Here's something from earlier this year, when our team was training for our wreck photogrammetry project, and kicking up a lot of silt on the trolley.

Been there hundreds of times. Never seen 2-3 foot vis, and you know that I know what that is from the railroad bridge!

Yes, there were a few months a couple of years ago when we cancelled our photography workshop for an algae bloom, but that was the outlier. Usually very reasonable vis for training, we had 50 divers for our Intro to Northeast Diving program this season.

The video I posted was also shot in the east end, which does tend to be better vis. But it's typically around 10-20 in most of the quarry.

Here's something from earlier this year, when our team was training for our wreck photogrammetry project, and kicking up a lot of silt on the trolley.

You’re right but as long as you stay far away from the weekend student hordes that have mussed up the water. Agreed, light years better than the railroad bridge.

That algal bloom was the worst. I remember a rescue student trying to “save” a rec diver in error thinking it was his instructor playing dead.

You’re right but as long as you stay far away from the weekend student hordes that have mussed up the water. Agreed, light years better than the railroad bridge.

That algal bloom was the worst. I remember a rescue student trying to “save” a rec diver in error thinking it was his instructor playing dead.

Yeah, that disappointed me, because Larry, Olga and I had run this UW photography workshop for a few years and it was really great. Not sure if that will ever happen again.

How many parking spots does Dutch currently have? 121 spots would seem to cover the peninsula parking side but I guess the student section had about 50-75 spots on its own.

How many parking spots does Dutch currently have?
Informal parking extended down to the pumphouse (rightmost along the quarry on the pic). That parking was angle-in, park on the grass up to the fence. There is no way that there will be anything close to adequate parking if the juicy flat parts host a warehouse or two.

Dutch Surrounded.jpg

damn...that was a spot I had on my PA road trip list. hopefully the owners don't screw it up and turn it into new development. it'd be awesome if they kept it open for diving.

damn...that was a spot I had on my PA road trip list. hopefully the owners don't screw it up and turn it into new development. it'd be awesome if they kept it open for diving.

If you could have posted that a year ago it would be like you had a crystal ball... exactly what they did. You can still be able to dive there, but very limited, reservations only, only with a DM / insured diver. I'm not saying take it off your list, but it won't be the same magical place you read about.

Maybe they're figure something out...

Any updates from the new owner about MO in the upcoming season yet?

If you could have posted that a year ago it would be like you had a crystal ball... exactly what they did. You can still be able to dive there, but very limited, reservations only, only with a DM / insured diver. I'm not saying take it off your list, but it won't be the same magical place you read about.

Maybe they're figure something out...
later this summer, if I get certified, I'll check out the status of it. chances are I wouldn't have a diving buddy and need to go with a DM anyhow.
sucks it was that way last year and not this. hopefully the sale will take a while and the springs won't be closed yet.

Any updates from the new owner about MO in the upcoming season yet?
I haven't heard more - reminds me I need to check on Planning Commission agendas ...

later this summer, if I get certified, I'll check out the status of it. chances are I wouldn't have a diving buddy and need to go with a DM anyhow.
sucks it was that way last year and not this. hopefully the sale will take a while and the springs won't be closed yet.
I haven't yet given up hope that this year may still be under the current model, so I haven't applied for my season pass refund.

@kay_ann if it is still business as usual, post up here. I'm always looking for a buddy (excuse ... ):cool:

Back
Top Bottom