Exactly how deep is "Deep Air?"

What does Deep Air mean to you (in regard to narcosis)?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I find it relevant because this is a SCUBA forum, not a commercial divers forum. You've made numerous references to logged hours of commercial time at xxx depth so I want to know what your SCUBA experience is as I take your comments under consideration.

I have approx. 5000 recreational hours on scuba air, approx 1000 of these have been between 100-130', 1000 between 130-150' and another 1000 over 150', so 3000 hours on scuba air over 100'.

Now perhaps you can explain to me when the discussion is on "deep air" how does the source of the air supply affect how nitrogen affects a person's body? It's like saying if you drive a truck for a living, don't report this experience to the insurance company because you are being insured on a car. :confused: How nitrogen affects a person's performance is the issue under discussion. It's reasonable as far as I'm concerned to report any experience breathing air underwater that's applicable including surface-supply and chamber time.

No... what he's saying is you can use trimix and be safer while diving deep, he's not saying you shouldn't dive deep at all. Fail.

DCBC I think you missed PfcAJ's point in his seat belt analogy, he's not saying you shouldn't have the freedom to decide to not wear a seat belt, he's saying you shouldn't teach/advocate not wearing one as you do with diving deep air and not using trimix.

No what he's saying is that it's irresponsible to teach deep air. I advocate training divers on deep air before they attempt it. I realize that you or I don't have "control" over what other people do or do not do. I'm happy to teach any gas (including Trimix or Heliox), as long as the diver has the requisite experience. I do not believe in telling people what gas to buy, what equipment to buy, or what training they must have. That is for them to decide and make an informed decision. I will give them an honest evaluation from my perspective and if they elect to be trained, I will insure that they exceed the requirements for certification. That is my obligation. I don't appreciate someone else suggesting that I (and thousands of other instructors) are being irresponsible.

No what he's saying is that it's irresponsible to teach deep air. I advocate training divers on deep air before they attempt it. I realize that you or I don't have "control" over what other people do or do not do. I'm happy to teach any gas (including Trimix or Heliox), as long as the diver has the requisite experience. I do not believe in telling people what gas to buy, what equipment to buy, or what training they must have. That is for them to decide and make an informed decision. I will give them an honest evaluation from my perspective and if they elect to be trained, I will insure that they exceed the requirements for certification. That is my obligation. I don't appreciate someone else suggesting that I (and thousands of other instructors) are being irresponsible.

That's what I said... :confused: lolz

If he thinks it's irresponsible to teach deep air, then one could assume he thinks it shouldn't be taught...

How do you train a diver on deep air before they attempt it... If you're training them on deep air, aren't they already deep and diving air? Wat do?

And ya, you're being irresponsible by advocating deep air. There. I said it.

Note: This is not intended to debate the pros/and cons of deep air. There are plenty of threads for that already. This is more about defining where that line lies for individual divers.

Edit: for clarification, I'm interested in answers based on your personal assessment of narcosis and the point where you feel it adversely affects your ability to safely manage it.
I need a do-over. I just voted without reading your clarifications completely. :doh:

That's what I said... :confused: lolz

If one thinks it's irresponsible to teach deep air, then you can probably assume he thinks it shouldn't be taught...
As an aside I am wondering if there have been any studies conducted indicating a link between breathing helium and lowered reading comprehension.

Now perhaps you can explain to me when the discussion is on "deep air" how does the source of the air supply affect how nitrogen affects a person's body?

I don't believe I ever said that it did, but you're welcome to look for a post that refutes that. Perhaps you read too much into the question?

Geesh guys... Live and Let live (or die).

This horse is way friggin dead. Quit beating it.
I'm going to dive deep air. You're not. I'm not telling you to, and you're not going to tell me not to. Agreed? We got that through our 12 year old brains now?

When I first logged onto this sight a few weeks ago, I read where someone wanted ban Deep Air Posts. I'm usually up for anything. Who cares right, if it makes a good read. But geesh guys. My 8 year old whines less than this. Suck it up buttercup. It's like religion and politics. You are not going to change my ideas, i'm not going to change yours. Shut up and move on.

This isn't directed toward either side of the debate, but to our members as a whole. We are embarrassing ourselves.

As an aside I am wondering if there have been any studies conducted indicating a link between breathing helium and lowered reading comprehension.

Ahh, my mistake, sorry for calling you out.

This horse is way friggin dead. Quit beating it.......
Shut up and move on.

This isn't directed toward either side of the debate, but to our members as a whole. We are embarrassing ourselves.

Nothing embarrassing about it. It's a topic that some people obviously like to discuss and makes for a good read. Some folks just might even learn something from it. So if you are tired of the thread then take your own advice and "Shut up and move on".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom