Info Helium is expensive and deep air is not my thing. -Let's talk about "Big" dives.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pretty much every instructor (or serious buddy) I've ever had suggests focusing on shallower non-deco training to perfect skills, control, procedures and protocol. Maybe it's in part because it's just much simpler and safer to teach a course that way (true 😆). But I don't think it's the only reason.

40 metres is already unnecessarily deep for most of the training elements, except for multi-stage ascents.

Getting actual deco alone is not "training." You can do a 40 minute bottom time at 30 metres on GF 10/40 and get stops beginning at 18 metres if you want training in doing deco stops. (Or did we also want more "narcosis training?" 😆🤦)

Anyone who's been to 40 metres could also bounce down to 60 or 100 metres quite easily, come back up and do some gas switches. Kind of a trivial exercise to wing it. People "untrained" by modern standards were doing it on air 50(?) years ago.

Can you do it consistently in a team formation while maintaining buoyancy, depth, eye contact, communication, following every step, confirming others' steps and signals, holding [simulated] deco stops, handling cylinder swaps, simulating gear failures, etc? ALL of that can be drilled at 6 metres. And it is often considered /harder/ shallow (harder buoyancy often cited, currents, surge)

Are you saying that most people's skills are not that polished right after tech certification?
we thought we were the bees knees at the time -but now with more time under our belt we realise we we where just pretending
nothing tests you better than having major issues at 100m -then we really find out what were made of

I would suggest you stop asking total strangers on a public forum and present those same questions to the instructor you are doing your course with.
I’m about to embark on a once in a life time opportunity. The more research and questions I ask, the better disposed for a worst case scenario. Who knows how an unknown instructor is going to react to a new student. I’m not sure how or if I can cope with the constant workload over a 3 day period. If everything goes according to plan, I’m also going to try for the advanced and nitrox certificate as well. My neighbour happens to be acquainted with one of PADI’s top Course Directors from the UK, Steve Prior. Never heard of him but my neighbour says he’s retired. He’s trained many instructors in Malta and Cyprus I believe. She gave me some of his videos and I’ve been browsing through them in my spare time. Very educational but it’s still imperative I talk through sections which I’m confused about or don’t fully understand with those who wish to do so.
I have stumbled upon you in several different threads here. You seem to talk a lot of specifics for someone that is not a diver yet. That's what probably made lermontov make that conclusion.
I know you DO NOT represent the interests of ScubaBoard. I know you DO NOT represent the interests of novice divers. I know you risk being dragged away by the Yugoslav secret police and charged with sedition if you ask too many questions in your village.

I’m about to embark on a once in a life time opportunity. The more research and questions I ask, the better disposed for a worst case scenario. Who knows how an unknown instructor is going to react to a new student. I’m not sure how or if I can cope with the constant workload over a 3 day period.
Buddy I don't know whether you're serious or trolling us, but just chill. You're taking an OW course, not Navy SEAL Hell Week. Millions of people have done it. You'll probably survive. You might even have a few hours free to relax and lie on the beach if you want. Enjoy the experience and don't overthink it.

I know you risk being dragged away by the Yugoslav secret police and charged with sedition if you ask too many questions in your village.
It's not that you ask too many questions. You are asking the wrong questions (and in many cases giving wrong answers).

You know all those people who told you there are no stupid questions? They lied to you.

Buddy I don't know whether you're serious or trolling us, but just chill. You're taking an OW course, not Navy SEAL Hell Week. Millions of people have done it. You'll probably survive. You might even have a few hours free to relax and lie on the beach if you want. Enjoy the experience and don't overthink it.
I’ve forgiven you for your despicable and cruel comments. From your mug shot, you seem like an upstanding individual who enjoys participating on forums. Even though the info you provide is somewhat weird.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom