Exactly how deep is "Deep Air?"

What does Deep Air mean to you (in regard to narcosis)?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Somehow, according to DCBC, my cautious approach to diving makes me arrogant. Let him think what he will.

For clarification, a cautious appoach has nothing to do with being arrogant Pete.

I define "Deep Air" as being beyond the limitations of recreational diving, beyond overhead protocols, and beyond deeper enriched air diving. The "Extended Range" zone beyond 150 feet is where I would place the general term "Deep Air."

Thanks Trace. It would appear that the majority in this poll agree with you. Deep air is 151'+.

Thanks Trace. It would appear that the majority in this poll agree with you. Deep air is 151'+.

Yes, but it's a very small majority. 65 vs 62.

Are you talking about commercial diving, or recreational SCUBA diving?

Sorry I previously missed this question CD, but to answer it, both of them. As you've correctly pointed out, I usually have less support on a recreational dive so this is taken into consideration when the decision is made.

I love how you base all your "pro deep air" on commercial diving experience, which is completely different than recreational diving. Then your tune changes to "well, on a rec dive, I'd have less support". No %#@.

So when someone dies on deep air, is it always because they didn't have the "experience or training"? Or could they not "handle it". There sure are a whole bunch of deaths that have happened with ENDs of 100'or more...but not a lot (any?) on dives past 100' with an END less than 100'.

If you can't afford the ticket, then don't do the ride. Seems like it always boils down to nickel rocketry and false bravado.

??? I only see 31 who think 151 is too deep.

Add all the people who picked depths of 151 and greater vs. all the people who picked 150 and less.

Sorry I previously missed this question CD, but to answer it, both of them. As you've correctly pointed out, I usually have less support on a recreational dive so this is taken into consideration when the decision is made.

So when you respond in threads saying that you have no problem diving on air to 200', you are talking about doing such dives on open circuit scuba equipment and when you talk about your experience, you're saying that you have a considerable amount of time/dives on OC at these depths (151'+)?

??? I only see 31 who think 151 is too deep.

Add all the people who picked depths of 151 and greater vs. all the people who picked 150 and less.

I think I will add my question marks to Walter's. How does adding the people who picked the deeper depths to the ones who said 150 signify that a certain percentage picked 150? I think you could work out some wording that would accept that addition, but I am not sure that everyone would understand that wording and might misread those results as reported.

If you go back to my first post, I said I was confused about the wording of the poll and wasn't sure what I was actually saying.

Back
Top Bottom