Drysuit options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving without a pee valve knowing that you have to go 15 minutes before the dive ends is the worst feeling in the world.. because it's not 15 min, its 25 or 30 min to get out, take the tank(s) off, unzip, and so on. In that moment of pure frustration I would pay double or even TRIPLE for a catheter!

Plus, I'm no longer thinking about the dive. I'm thinking about peeing, and I didn't pay all this money to be in the water thinking about being out of the water relieving myself.

And @stuartv, it's 2023, I am offended that you referred to my member as "junk". He has feelings just like everyone else🤣

Diving without a pee valve knowing that you have to go 15 minutes before the dive ends is the worst feeling in the world.. because it's not 15 min, its 25 or 30 min to get out, take the tank(s) off, unzip, and so on. In that moment of pure frustration I would pay double or even TRIPLE for a catheter!

Plus, I'm no longer thinking about the dive. I'm thinking about peeing, and I didn't pay all this money to be in the water thinking about being out of the water relieving myself.

And @stuartv, it's 2023, I am offended that you referred to my member as "junk". He has feelings just like everyone else🤣
The junk probably refers to wear and tear, as previously established:wink:

my scubapro computers, used prior to pee valves, had a handy readout, I have no idea how the computer knew but it had a remaining bladder time on the display, I don’t know if they still do this it displayed as RBT :)

The junk probably refers to wear and tear, as previously established:wink:

my scubapro computers, used prior to pee valves, had a handy readout, I have no idea how the computer knew but it had a remaining bladder time on the display, I don’t know if they still do this it displayed as RBT :)
Touche, lol

Excessive Touché was the issue if memory serves :)
He'll be here all week ladies and gentleman!

I needed a good laugh on a Friday!, lol... ok, ok, I'll go back to "junk".. more deserving than previously thought!

But... but... but what if he wants to take more PADI courses? He will spend all his course time kneeling on the bottom.

🤣
I like my knee pads, but I'm willing to do whatever it takes to get another spot on the boat:D

As stated previously, definitely get a p-valve it's a game changer, get on ebay and order a couple of each size to get the correct sized catheter.

My first dry suit had si tech rings and dry gloves. They were okay, but the stiff rings snag more than you'd expect. Much prefer zip seals, but they weren't an option last I checked into a nova. If a flexible option isn't available I would go with glue ons personally. YouTube walks you through replacing them if needed, easy task

If it hasn't been mentioned, on here and ebay, you can find nice "premium" suits with all the options second hand for similar to a nova new. Suits are hard to "kill," I rescued one of our retired S&R suits from the dumpster that had been abused. A few patient days and couple tubes of aquaseal later it's back in action as a personal suit.

Get the pockets, much cheaper to get em now just in case, then adding them later.

Cheers!

As stated previously, definitely get a p-valve it's a game changer, get on ebay and order a couple of each size to get the correct sized catheter.

My first dry suit had si tech rings and dry gloves. They were okay, but the stiff rings snag more than you'd expect. Much prefer zip seals, but they weren't an option last I checked into a nova. If a flexible option isn't available I would go with glue ons personally. YouTube walks you through replacing them if needed, easy task

If it hasn't been mentioned, on here and ebay, you can find nice "premium" suits with all the options second hand for similar to a nova new. Suits are hard to "kill," I rescued one of our retired S&R suits from the dumpster that had been abused. A few patient days and couple tubes of aquaseal later it's back in action as a personal suit.

Get the pockets, much cheaper to get em now just in case, then adding them later.

Cheers!

AFAIK, you can only get Zip seals from DUI.

But, the Slaggo rings are flexible. Not AS flexible as Zip seals, but pretty flexible. They only become inflexible when you install a dry glove ring system into them (e.g. Ultima). If you just keep them as wrist seal-only, then they are still flexible. And, of course, it's easy to change back and forth, if you want dry gloves on some dives and no dry gloves, but flexible wrist rings, on other dives.

Quick Neck vs Orust is a set of tradeoffs.

Yes, Orust has clips that you could lose or break. But, it comes with extra clips, in case you lose one or two. And, there are more clips than you actually need. If you swapped out a seal and lost one or two in the process, you could still assemble it and go dive with one or two less clips than you started with.

Orust is more flexible/softer than Quick Neck.

A person with narrow shoulders can be made uncomfortable by Quick Neck, because the shoulder straps of their harness cross over the Quick Neck ring and press it into their shoulders. The Orust ring is softer and more flexible, so it could be more comfortable for a person like that.

Also, for a thin person, the neck ring makes a sharper bend to go from the front of the chest to the back. That bend can be sharp enough that the spline ring in the Quick Neck system has a tendency to pop out of its groove. Orust is supposed to be better in this regard.

So, like I said earlier, if you are big enough to be comfortable with the Quick Neck and not have it bend too sharply as it wraps over your shoulders, it is definitely the option I would recommend. But, if you are narrower or thinner, the Orust could be a better choice.
I prefer the Orust system; I have installed both types. The Orust is a bit more fiddly with the clips, but stays together better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom