Drysuit options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AFAIK, you can only get Zip seals from DUI.

But, the Slaggo rings are flexible. Not AS flexible as Zip seals, but pretty flexible. They only become inflexible when you install a dry glove ring system into them (e.g. Ultima). If you just keep them as wrist seal-only, then they are still flexible. And, of course, it's easy to change back and forth, if you want dry gloves on some dives and no dry gloves, but flexible wrist rings, on other dives.
I didn't know this, if I did I would have chosen them over the stupid Anteras rings. I really just wanted the PU ring installed, but if I could switch to semi flexible rings in the summer and wet gloves I would have done that.

Any pics showing how flexible just that part is? Just the ring with wrist seal?

Edit: I think I'm wrong, there's 2 versions of Ultimas, only 1 works with the Slaggo, the soft set. Someone correct me? That's a deal breaker, I wanted a system that would work with my other ds so I got the PU ring and Rolock 90

I didn't know this, if I did I would have chosen them over the stupid Anteras rings. I really just wanted the PU ring installed, but if I could switch to semi flexible rings in the summer and wet gloves I would have done that.

Any pics showing how flexible just that part is? Just the ring with wrist seal?

Ignore the hairs from my feline overlords.

2023-02-24 11.38.17.jpg

Ignore the hairs from my feline overlords.

View attachment 771399
Do your cats go diving with you?:)

Just to confirm, these would not work with the regular Ultima DGS... correct?

Pretty cool that they're that flexible... would be awesome going for lobster in the summer.

Do your cats go diving with you?:)

Just to confirm, these would not work with the regular Ultima DGS... correct?

Pretty cool that they're that flexible... would be awesome going for lobster in the summer.

A little bit of my cats does go diving with me every time.... *sigh* LOL

I do not know. Let me be clear about that right up front.

Waterproof has 2 versions of the Ultima kit that you can order. Ultima DGS and Ultima DGS Soft.

• 742-900-00 ULTIMA DRY GLOVE SYSTEM (Code: WP-ULTIMASYS)
  • 742-910-00 ULTIMA DRY GLOVE SYSTEM SOFT (Code: WP-ULTIMA SOFT)
It is my understanding that the "Soft" version works with the Slaggo rings, so I have ordered a set but they haven't even shipped yet.

I don't know the technical differences between the 2 versions. Waterproof says the DGS was designed to work with the Waterproof ISS (Integrated Silicone Seals) system that they use (or DID use?) on their drysuits.

Waterproof says the DGS Soft was specifically designed to work with the Slaggo rings, which are mounted on "some" Waterproof drysuits (newer models, I guess).

So, I think the Slaggo rings would not work with the regular (non-Soft) version of DGS. Call it a semi-educated guess.

It does look like the individual pieces of the DGS system are available to order separately. So, your friendly Waterproof dealer could probably get you just the bits you would need in order to change a DGS system over to a DGS Soft system, instead of having to buy a whole new dry glove kit. I mean, just in case you wanted to change your suit from whatever it has now over to Slaggo rings... :D

I didn't really know anything about the details of this stuff until I got this suit with Slaggo rings a couple of weeks ago and started digging into how to put dry gloves on it.

A little bit of my cats does go diving with me every time.... *sigh* LOL

I do not know. Let me be clear about that right up front.

Waterproof has 2 versions of the Ultima kit that you can order. Ultima DGS and Ultima DGS Soft.

• 742-900-00 ULTIMA DRY GLOVE SYSTEM (Code: WP-ULTIMASYS)
  • 742-910-00 ULTIMA DRY GLOVE SYSTEM SOFT (Code: WP-ULTIMA SOFT)
It is my understanding that the "Soft" version works with the Slaggo rings, so I have ordered a set but they haven't even shipped yet.

I don't know the technical differences between the 2 versions. Waterproof says the DGS was designed to work with the Waterproof ISS (Integrated Silicone Seals) system that they use (or DID use?) on their drysuits.

Waterproof says the DGS Soft was specifically designed to work with the Slaggo rings, which are mounted on "some" Waterproof drysuits (newer models, I guess).

So, I think the Slaggo rings would not work with the regular (non-Soft) version of DGS. Call it a semi-educated guess.

It does look like the individual pieces of the DGS system are available to order separately. So, your friendly Waterproof dealer could probably get you just the bits you would need in order to change a DGS system over to a DGS Soft system, instead of having to buy a whole new dry glove kit. I mean, just in case you wanted to change your suit from whatever it has now over to Slaggo rings... :D

I didn't really know anything about the details of this stuff until I got this suit with Slaggo rings a couple of weeks ago and started digging into how to put dry gloves on it.
Yeah, for a minute I thought I could have the best of both worlds, but it's not worth it to me to change out the Sitech PU rings that work with a variety of dry glove systems

Yeah, for a minute I thought I could have the best of both worlds, but it's not worth it to me to change out the Sitech PU rings that work with a variety of dry glove systems

Right. Because, obviously, you are SO likely to change to a different dry glove system...

:wink: LOL!!

Since we’re on the subject of pee and junk, I have another question :)

In a diagonal front zip like the Nova, can you unzip and take care of business without removing any of the seals?

In a diagonal front zip like the Nova, can you unzip and take care of business without removing any of the seals?
Unlikely but maybe if you’re really bendy

I've tried it, I was really sure it would work. And it did, for about 5 seconds, and then I made a mess. Better to remove the neck seal and both wrist seals and peel the suit off your torso. Better still to just use the damn P-valve :wink: . Whatever you do, don't convince yourself that a "convenience zipper" is worthwhile... it's not.

I think you've gotten some good advice here on which upgrades have the best value with regards to P-valves and seals. Here's a few other options I like
- The telescoping torso. It's the single best value upgrade available, IMHO. Don't skip it
- DIR dump location is free, and makes things easier
- The "main body" zip cover is cheap insurance on the sealing zipper, which is a major (and expensive) drysuit failure point.

I got the kevlar knees and the PU bum pads, and found that they're kinda overkill. They could probably be skipped, unless you frequently get tossed around on rocks or sharp mollusks. On the other hand, I skipped the warm neck, and wish I had gone for it. I like the drysuit bag for the price, and am pretty happy with the name badge on both the suit itself, and on the bag.

Cheers

I've tried it, I was really sure it would work. And it did, for about 5 seconds, and then I made a mess. Better to remove the neck seal and both wrist seals and peel the suit off your torso. Better still to just use the damn P-valve :wink: . Whatever you do, don't convince yourself that a "convenience zipper" is worthwhile... it's not.

I think you've gotten some good advice here on which upgrades have the best value with regards to P-valves and seals. But here's a few other options I like
- The telescoping torso. It's the single best value upgrade available, IMHO. Don't skip it
- DIR dump location is free, and makes things easier
- The "main body" zip cover is cheap insurance on the sealing zipper, which is a major (and expensive) drysuit failure point.

I got the kevlar knees and the PU bum pads, and found that they're kinda overkill. They could probably be skipped, unless you frequently get tossed around on rocks or sharp mollusks. On the other hand, I skipped the warm neck, and wish I had gone for it. I like the drysuit bag for the price, and am pretty happy with the name badge the suit itself and on the bag.

Cheers

Have you tried a replaceable neoprene neck seal?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom