Drysuit options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSteveT

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I’m getting ready to pull the trigger on a Seaskin Nova drysuit and wanted to finalize options. I’m going very basic, the only adders I’m looking at are the zipper cover, quick neck, oval wrists, and a pocket. My goal is just to dive the Great Lakes a little between vacation diving. A few questions…

Are there any disadvantages to the neck or wrist ring systems? Changing seals and silicon would be big advantages to me.

I currently use a pocket on my harness. Is there a big difference between harness and outside thigh? I ask because my wetsuit does not have a pocket and I’d like to stay consistent between wetsuit and drysuit if possible.

From what I can see, $800 is the current threshold for US import duties, is that correct for these? If so, I’d try to stay under that :)

The quick change wrist and neck seals are a must! I can change them out IF they tear in just minutes, only ever had 1 wrist seal tear and that’s because I cut it wrong. I also love my thigh pockets, I keep my wet notes and sometimes a light in there. I keep DSMB/spool or reel on my butt d ring. The telescopic torso helps donning and doffing the suit. Computer straps things are nice but not a must. Get the bigger “braces” aka suspenders. Move dump valve to DIR location (it’s free). I’m sure others will give you their opinions and suggestions.

Tax is only 4% if you order the suit by itself (no undergarments).

Get the quick neck, pee valve, zip cover, and a pair of though zip pockets. I like my kubi rings because they're fantastically easy to use.

All is this is covered in

Thanks!

There are a lot of posts on the best options, I just want the basic best value. For the occasional fun dives, I’d like to have the necessities and be able to service seals without paying for half of the suit again.

Is the duty tax 4% for the suit only?

You really want pockets (plural). Once you have a pee valve you wonder how you lived without one.

Knee pads and butt pad are recommended. I sit and kneel to do stuff, don, different, ride the boat etc a lot and those help the suit last longer.

User changeable seals are a must for me because I don't feel like waiting months if a seal blows.

I’m getting ready to pull the trigger on a Seaskin Nova drysuit and wanted to finalize options. I’m going very basic, the only adders I’m looking at are the zipper cover, quick neck, oval wrists, and a pocket. My goal is just to dive the Great Lakes a little between vacation diving. A few questions…

Are there any disadvantages to the neck or wrist ring systems? Changing seals and silicon would be big advantages to me.

I currently use a pocket on my harness. Is there a big difference between harness and outside thigh? I ask because my wetsuit does not have a pocket and I’d like to stay consistent between wetsuit and drysuit if possible.

From what I can see, $800 is the current threshold for US import duties, is that correct for these? If so, I’d try to stay under that :)
Oval cuffs are a great option (provided you’re not interested in the $$ for Kubi) since there’s a bunch of dry glove systems you could add on later without gluing anything in.

Neck ring - only real downside is if you’re a smaller-shouldered person (I’m 150lbs 5’10”, wear a 36 suit jacket normally) it will limit your shoulder mobility and interfere with the shoulder straps of your BC. I have one suit with a glued-in latex seal and one with a SiTech ring; if I could do it again, I’d probably get a glued-in neoprene seal.

Pockets: get two. Cheap to add a second pocket right now, hugely annoying to add later on.

You really want pockets (plural). Once you have a pee valve you wonder how you lived without one.

Knee pads and butt pad are recommended. I sit and kneel to do stuff, don, different, ride the boat etc a lot and those help the suit last longer.

User changeable seals are a must for me because I don't feel like waiting months if a seal blows.
Everything he said. Almost. I've not experienced the need for a polyurethane butt-protector, but I'm not riding boats or sitting atop concrete walls very often, so...

But if I may slightly hijack the thread, I'd like to expand on the OP's question 'cuz I have similar questions that might also benefit the OP. He and I are in similar situations -- about to pull the trigger on a new Nova drysuit, albeit mine's not for Great Lakes diving -- and I'm wondering about three things: pocket choices, pocket placement, and extra room for 450-gram undergarments.

Pocket choices -- My current Seaskin drysuit (purchased secondhand) has the Large Zipped Pocket (27 cm x 19 cm x 5 cm); this pocket is a tad too small, and it lacks shock-cord attachments. Does anyone out there have experience with the Expedition Pocket (30 cm x 20 cm x 7 cm) versus the Large Bellows Pocket (26 cm x 20 cm x 6 cm)?

Pocket location -- I've been diving BM lately, but I also like SM a lot. And I've recently been diving a Choptima. Thus, I'm stuck between the standard side-located pockets and thigh-front pockets. Anybody out there have experience with both? Would the Choptima get in the way for thigh-front pockets? And would the Expedition vs. Large Bellows choice make a difference with pocket placement?

Extra room for 450-gram undergarments -- It'd be nice to be able to wear my supa-dupa-fluffy Thinsulate undersuit, but I don't always need to wear it. Would I rattle around like a pea in a tin can if I got the larger cut and wore a 250-gram undergarment? Or should I just bite the bullet and order a 4th Element Halo AR or a Santi full-body electric blanket?

Extra room for 450-gram undergarments -- It'd be nice to be able to wear my supa-dupa-fluffy Thinsulate undersuit, but I don't always need to wear it. Would I rattle around like a pea in a tin can if I got the larger cut and wore a 250-gram undergarment? Or should I just bite the bullet and order a 4th Element Halo AR or a Santi full-body electric blanket?
I haven't received mine yet but ordered this option. Most of my drysuit diving would be in Swiss lakes (cold) and it would be nice to wear a 450 without issues.

I've asked a few people on here and the consensus was that I wouldn't feel like a balloon wearing a 250gsm. Let's see in April!

Also from what I hear while the halo AR is good, it's not as warm as a Santi 450, especially at 4°C

For me, no extra padding for knees, butt shoulders etc. they aren’t really necessary for most dives.

quick neck so you can change the seal when needed

oval cuffs because they have the most options for dry gloves , KUBI is a nice system but no other options once chosen.

plastic zip with cover

one pocket is all I’ve ever needed and I prefer zippered.

pee valve, because being fully hydrated matters, I prefer trigon.

I ordered the telescoping on my latest suit, in function its no better than the older duck tail system they use but it is a lot cleaner looking.

I prefer neoprene socks because it gives me more options in footwear which helps with adapting to various fins I like to try, size 15 shoes helps with this decision.

no need to over do the options just because they are cheap but because they are cheap it’s a great time to try different things.

I also go with SiTech valves.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom