Drysuit options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have you tried a replaceable neoprene neck seal?
I did buy one awhile back, and it's been sitting in my scuba to-do pile, waiting for the day where I bother to swap out the silicone one. Have you found that the neoprene neck seal is substantially warmer than silicone? The main thing I was hoping it would do is provide a more reliable seal than the silicone Siflex one I've got on there, since every now and then I seem to get a little leak, I guess from small hairs on my neck.

I did buy one awhile back, and it's been sitting in my scuba to-do pile, waiting for the day where I bother to swap out the silicone one. Have you found that the neoprene neck seal is substantially warmer than silicone? The main thing I was hoping it would do is provide a more reliable seal than the silicone Siflex one I've got on there, since every now and then I seem to get a little leak, I guess from small hairs on my neck.
While I can’t speak for Stuart, I find them to be substantially warmer, I use one on my neoprene suit and have one for my new nova which I left of the warm neck option off of (It gets in the way if you are repairing leaks).
if you can’t get a good seal with silicone I don’t “know” what the prospect of a better seal will be, mine has never leaked but the roll is critical.

This is all very helpful, thanks! I will stay quite basic for my needs, so this helps with priority.

As much as I'd like changeable seals and silicone that doesn't degrade as fast, how cumbersome are the oval rings and quick neck? I have never used either of those systems so I don't know how bulky they are.
If you are not going to poke your hands into holes while catching lobsters, you will be fine. Yes, sometimes you will have wrist rings being in your way, but not too often. You won't have any problems with neck ring with your size.
As for the pockets, I would go with expedition. Yes, some people prefer zip over velcro, but no one ever complained of having too big pockets. And expedition also come with zippered small pocket on the flap (I stow my jon line in there). Both pockets comes with bungee ties (tbh, I would prefer D rings in big pocket).

While I can’t speak for Stuart, I find them to be substantially warmer, I use one on my neoprene suit and have one for my new nova which I left of the warm neck option off of (It gets in the way if you are repairing leaks).
if you can’t get a good seal with silicone I don’t what the prospect of a better seal will be, mine has never leaked but the roll is critical.
You roll your silicone neck?

... Have you found that the neoprene neck seal is substantially warmer than silicone? ...
I had my drysuit built with neoprene fold-under neck seal and wrist seals. The experienced Great Lakes extended-range drysuit divers I spoke with recommended this. (Neoprene seals, since I had decided to NOT go with dry hood and dry gloves.) My wrists and neck stayed warm even when extended-range diving in water having temps in the high 30 degree F range.

My understanding at that time (1993): Latex is the most flexible (so, made the best seal), but is the most fragile, and additionally won't work for people allergic to Latex. Silicone is flexible, too, but not as flexible as Latex, though more durable than Latex and requires less maintenance than Latex. Neoprene is the least flexible of the three, but much, much warmer. And the fold-under provides a larger contact area with your skin (so, a larger sealing area), and allows the suit more "reach" or "stretch" (because the fold-under serves as a bellows, effectively).

rx7diver

I definitely think it's warmer than silicone. Warmer even than silicone plus the simple warm neck.

However, it is more prone (in MY experience) to allow a trickle of water to run in every now and then. Especially if you really bend your neck - e.g. when I look down between my legs to check on what/who is behind me.

A dry hood with smoothskin on the inside of the neck part that overlaps with the neoprene neck seal definitely helps with that. But, to me, a slight, quick trickle every now and then is well worth the benefits of a neoprene neck seal.

If you're getting small leaks with a Silflex seal, well, I doubt it's from neck hairs. I'm about as hirsute as you'll find and I don't get that. I would think it more likely that when that happens to you it's either because your silicone seal is just a little too loose for your neck, or (more likely) it's not laying down flat like it should be. Getting it positioned on the back of your neck properly CAN be a little difficult, especially when you're wearing thick undies that make it harder to really reach back there.

Thanks @stuartv @lexvil and @rx7diver for your inputs and ideas! I do put in the effort to double-check that the seal doesn't have any wrinkles or folds before donning my drygloves. Maybe it's just trimmed too loose, and another ring or two tighter would make a better seal. I'll give the neoprene one a shot, and if I end up not liking it, will order in a new silicone one and make sure to trim it more gently.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom