Drysuit options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did not see it mentioned... ask to have that ugly name "Kevlar" removed from the knee pads if you get them. No idea why that's not an option, but I am glad I think @stuartv told me they would take off if asked.

Love my suit. It feels like wearing pajamas underwater. I feel like there was a break in period to get used to wearing it. Just take it slow and don't force anything.

I did not see it mentioned... ask to have that ugly name "Kevlar" removed from the knee pads if you get them. No idea why that's not an option, but I am glad I think @stuartv told me they would take off if asked.

Love my suit. It feels like wearing pajamas underwater. I feel like there was a break in period to get used to wearing it. Just take it slow and don't force anything.

That’s strange because I did not ask and mine did not come labeled “Kevlar.” I ordered in November of 2021 though.

That’s strange because I did not ask and mine did not come labeled “Kevlar.” I ordered in November of 2021 though.
Maybe they did away with it.. Idk. In the picture when ordering it had it so I asked that it not be added. Maybe it would have came that way.

Silly to advertise in big yellow letters what kind of knee pads you have, lol

I'd suggest the inflation valve comfort patch. My Bare drysuit has one (of a different design) and I really notice the cold inflation air come in when I manage to get it folded out of position.

Also when I was considering a Seaskin I though the name patch would be really cool!

If you're going to dive the Great Lakes, you are going to want dry gloves. For that reason, I would avoid the QCS Oval wrist rings. Everything I've ever read about the Antares glove system is that they suck, and I think Antares is your only option for dry gloves with the QCS oval rings. I have Kubi rings on my Seaskin suits and I still think they are the best (but maybe not best VALUE). I just got a new suit and it came with the Slaggo rings. Now that I've had a chance to really look at them, I would recommend them over anything but Kubi. When you use just the Slaggo rings, they are flexible, so you have the same practical benefit as the QCS rings. I.e. you can fit your hand between your body and a pony/deco bottle more easily.

With the Slaggo rings, you can add the Waterproof Ultima QCS Soft ring system when you are ready to start diving with dry gloves. The Ultima glove system is (in my opinion) almost as good as Kubi and a lot less expensive. Close enough in "goodness" that I can't say Kubi is really worth the extra money. That's really just down to your wallet. But, when trying to keep it to a budget, I would have no qualms recommending the Slaggo/Ultima combo. In fact, as I said, my new suit has Slaggo rings and my Ultima glove setup is due to be delivered any day now. So, I should have some real-world experience of my own with it soon enough.

No way I would order a drysuit without 2 thigh pockets. You don't have to use them. But, when you DO decide you want them (and you WILL), you will be GLAD you have them. Don't lock yourself into things that are "because I have been doing it this way and I want to maintain consistency." Learn to be flexible. Adapt to newer/better when it comes along. If you die because your backup light was in your thigh pocket instead of your BCD pocket, ummmm, you probably should not have been diving at all.

I like zippered pockets better than velcro flap pockets. But, my Seaskin suits have zippered pockets and I do wish they were bigger. Also, they don't have bungee loops in them from the factory, but they do have little D-rings inside, which I was able to attach my own bungee loops to. I have started cave diving in the last few months. Because of the needs that come with that, I would get bigger pockets on my next suit, even if it meant velcro flaps instead of zippers. (And, well, as I mentioned, I did just get a new suit and it does have big thigh pockets with velcro flaps...)

For caves, I've been diving in SM, with a Choptima on my front. Having pockets on the front of my thighs would be easier to use than on the sides of my thighs. But, that is not what I have and I have made do just fine. Mostly, I don't use my thigh pockets for anything when in that configuration (so far). I clip all my reels/spools back around my butt. Even if I were ordering a new suit custom, I think I would not get pockets on the front of my thighs. I feel like they would be super annoying for catching/rubbing on stuff.

I would absolutely get a pee valve. From Seaskin, the option is too cheap not to. And if you're going to dive in the Great Lakes, I think you will be REALLY glad you have it. Cold water diuresis (aka Cold Diuresis) is a real thing. You get in cold water and it makes you have to pee. And if you're wearing undies for cold water, suiting up and getting unsuited in order to pee is a HUGE pain in the butt. SO much nicer to just climb down the boat ladder until you're in the water up to mid-thigh and let go. And to be able to pee during the dive. Not to mention the elevated risk of DCS if you cut back on water intake before your dive in order to try to not need to pee.

For the neck seal system, I like the Si Tech Quick Neck the best. But, if you are of smaller stature, the Si Tech Orust system could be better for you. Orust is more flexible than Quick Neck, so better for persons that are narrow and/or thin.

With either system, you can get a neoprene neck seal from Waterproof to work with it. I love neoprene neck seals. To me, they are warmer and more comfortable than silicone - as well as more durable.

If you're going to wear 400+ gram undies, I would definitely recommend the "Allow Extra Room" option. If you're only going to wear 250, I would still consider it. If you KNOW you will never want more than just a 150 gram at most undergarment, then I would not get that option. Otherwise, I would get it. A little too much room is not a problem. A little too little room IS a problem.

The comfort patch behind the inflator is nice. Not a big deal either way, but it's so cheap...

I have gotten Si Tech valves instead of Apeks, for a couple of reasons. I don't want a really tall dump valve and Apeks gives you a choice of really tall or very low profile. I've seen too many reports of the low profile one leaking. The Si Tech dump is not AS low as the Apeks, maybe, but it's low enough and generally does not leak. Also, if/when you decide to add a heating system, I think the Si Tech Vega valve is the best option available for adding a power port. It is a direct screw-off/screw-on replacement for a standard Si Tech inflator. I think the hole for the Apeks inflator is a different size.

The Kevlar knee pads are nice for two reasons. One, they protect the suit. And, two, they are lightly padded, so when I kneel down on a boat deck, it doesn't hurt my knees as much.

If you get attached boots (versus compressed neoprene socks), seriously consider getting the Seasksin Suit Driers. They are just 2 big tubular bags full of dessicant. But, drying out the inside of a drysuit boot takes FOREVER without some kind of drying aid. Just a fan blowing into it does not cut it. There's no outlet for air blown in, so a fan really does very little as the air doesn't really circulate inside the boot. The Seaskin suit driers will suck the moisture right out and they are reusable. They have instructions on how to restore them after they have sucked up enough moisture to be somewhat saturated. So, either the Seaskin driers or some actual electric boot driers. I have those, too. The electric ones are great, but not always convenient or even feasible (or cheap).

Get the ovals and then get rolock dry gloves. Rolock is the system I've tried so far.

If you're going to dive the Great Lakes, you are going to want dry gloves. For that reason, I would avoid the QCS Oval wrist rings. Everything I've ever read about the Antares glove system is that they suck, and I think Antares is your only option for dry gloves with the QCS oval rings. I have Kubi rings on my Seaskin suits and I still think they are the best (but maybe not best VALUE). I just got a new suit and it came with the Slaggo rings. Now that I've had a chance to really look at them, I would recommend them over anything but Kubi. When you use just the Slaggo rings, they are flexible, so you have the same practical benefit as the QCS rings. I.e. you can fit your hand between your body and a pony/deco bottle more easily.

With the Slaggo rings, you can add the Waterproof Ultima QCS Soft ring system when you are ready to start diving with dry gloves. The Ultima glove system is (in my opinion) almost as good as Kubi and a lot less expensive. Close enough in "goodness" that I can't say Kubi is really worth the extra money. That's really just down to your wallet. But, when trying to keep it to a budget, I would have no qualms recommending the Slaggo/Ultima combo. In fact, as I said, my new suit has Slaggo rings and my Ultima glove setup is due to be delivered any day now. So, I should have some real-world experience of my own with it soon enough.

No way I would order a drysuit without 2 thigh pockets. You don't have to use them. But, when you DO decide you want them (and you WILL), you will be GLAD you have them. Don't lock yourself into things that are "because I have been doing it this way and I want to maintain consistency." Learn to be flexible. Adapt to newer/better when it comes along. If you die because your backup light was in your thigh pocket instead of your BCD pocket, ummmm, you probably should not have been diving at all.

I like zippered pockets better than velcro flap pockets. But, my Seaskin suits have zippered pockets and I do wish they were bigger. Also, they don't have bungee loops in them from the factory, but they do have little D-rings inside, which I was able to attach my own bungee loops to. I have started cave diving in the last few months. Because of the needs that come with that, I would get bigger pockets on my next suit, even if it meant velcro flaps instead of zippers. (And, well, as I mentioned, I did just get a new suit and it does have big thigh pockets with velcro flaps...)

For caves, I've been diving in SM, with a Choptima on my front. Having pockets on the front of my thighs would be easier to use than on the sides of my thighs. But, that is not what I have and I have made do just fine. Mostly, I don't use my thigh pockets for anything when in that configuration (so far). I clip all my reels/spools back around my butt. Even if I were ordering a new suit custom, I think I would not get pockets on the front of my thighs. I feel like they would be super annoying for catching/rubbing on stuff.

I would absolutely get a pee valve. From Seaskin, the option is too cheap not to. And if you're going to dive in the Great Lakes, I think you will be REALLY glad you have it. Cold water diuresis (aka Cold Diuresis) is a real thing. You get in cold water and it makes you have to pee. And if you're wearing undies for cold water, suiting up and getting unsuited in order to pee is a HUGE pain in the butt. SO much nicer to just climb down the boat ladder until you're in the water up to mid-thigh and let go. And to be able to pee during the dive. Not to mention the elevated risk of DCS if you cut back on water intake before your dive in order to try to not need to pee.

For the neck seal system, I like the Si Tech Quick Neck the best. But, if you are of smaller stature, the Si Tech Orust system could be better for you. Orust is more flexible than Quick Neck, so better for persons that are narrow and/or thin.

With either system, you can get a neoprene neck seal from Waterproof to work with it. I love neoprene neck seals. To me, they are warmer and more comfortable than silicone - as well as more durable.

If you're going to wear 400+ gram undies, I would definitely recommend the "Allow Extra Room" option. If you're only going to wear 250, I would still consider it. If you KNOW you will never want more than just a 150 gram at most undergarment, then I would not get that option. Otherwise, I would get it. A little too much room is not a problem. A little too little room IS a problem.

The comfort patch behind the inflator is nice. Not a big deal either way, but it's so cheap...

I have gotten Si Tech valves instead of Apeks, for a couple of reasons. I don't want a really tall dump valve and Apeks gives you a choice of really tall or very low profile. I've seen too many reports of the low profile one leaking. The Si Tech dump is not AS low as the Apeks, maybe, but it's low enough and generally does not leak. Also, if/when you decide to add a heating system, I think the Si Tech Vega valve is the best option available for adding a power port. It is a direct screw-off/screw-on replacement for a standard Si Tech inflator. I think the hole for the Apeks inflator is a different size.

The Kevlar knee pads are nice for two reasons. One, they protect the suit. And, two, they are lightly padded, so when I kneel down on a boat deck, it doesn't hurt my knees as much.

If you get attached boots (versus compressed neoprene socks), seriously consider getting the Seasksin Suit Driers. They are just 2 big tubular bags full of dessicant. But, drying out the inside of a drysuit boot takes FOREVER without some kind of drying aid. Just a fan blowing into it does not cut it. There's no outlet for air blown in, so a fan really does very little as the air doesn't really circulate inside the boot. The Seaskin suit driers will suck the moisture right out and they are reusable. They have instructions on how to restore them after they have sucked up enough moisture to be somewhat saturated. So, either the Seaskin driers or some actual electric boot driers. I have those, too. The electric ones are great, but not always convenient or even feasible (or cheap).

Not true on the QCS system…you have more options if you get the QCS. I have the ultima dry glove system, all I have to do is pop the oval out and pop the ultima system in.

I’m getting ready to pull the trigger on a Seaskin Nova drysuit and wanted to finalize options. I’m going very basic, the only adders I’m looking at are the zipper cover, quick neck, oval wrists, and a pocket. My goal is just to dive the Great Lakes a little between vacation diving. A few questions…

Are there any disadvantages to the neck or wrist ring systems? Changing seals and silicon would be big advantages to me.

I currently use a pocket on my harness. Is there a big difference between harness and outside thigh? I ask because my wetsuit does not have a pocket and I’d like to stay consistent between wetsuit and drysuit if possible.

From what I can see, $800 is the current threshold for US import duties, is that correct for these? If so, I’d try to stay under that :)
I dive both BM and Sm, so I use something like this ( XS Scuba Highland Neoprene Pocket Shorts | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL or Scubapro Thigh Pocket)

For Sm, front pockets are the way to go: .

Not true on the QCS system…you have more options if you get the QCS. I have the ultima dry glove system, all I have to do is pop the oval out and pop the ultima system in.

That is very good info. What are the QCS rings made out of?

I dive both BM and Sm, so I use something like this ( XS Scuba Highland Neoprene Pocket Shorts | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL or Scubapro Thigh Pocket)

For Sm, front pockets are the way to go: .

I have those exact XS Scuba shorts. I HATE them. They don't fit that well and they don't like to stay up very well, and they're extra thick/bulky/buoyant. On me, anyway. I have some very similar shorts by ScubaPro that work a LOT better (for me) - and they are not as thick/buoyant.

That said, I don't use any of them anymore, since I have thigh pockets on all my drysuits and on my Waterproof W7 wetsuit. :)

The Irikonji shorts look cool and I could see them being handy for use when diving SM.

I would still order the drysuit with side thigh pockets and then possibly get the Irikonji shorts to wear over the suit, when I needed pockets for SM.

As I said earlier, if you get a suit with side thigh pockets, you don't have to use them. Shorts should go over them just fine when they're empty. Drysuits are generally a long-term investment. Just because you don't need side thigh pockets today, doesn't mean you will never want/need them over the life of the suit. Adding them later is a big ole pain in the butt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom