Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use the Waterproof Ultima System with Santi gloves on a Fusion that came with ovals. Easy to convert. Just a little gettin used to a round system versus an oval when reaching for things.

Why not just keep it simple, why not a simple pull-over? I've been using the older Si-Tech rings with straight rubber pull-over gloves and wool liners: 5 Finger Rubber Gloves Long. No worries about O-rings and seals and when the gloves wear out, they're cheap to replace.

I have Kubi. They are awesome. But, as several people have said, I am pretty sure the Ultima rings will go in with no mods to the suit. In that case, even though I think they are not quite as nice as Kubi, that is still what I would go with. The Ultima setup is my second favorite system, after the Kubi. But, the Kubi is not so much better that I would mod the suit to put it on when Ultima would work with no mods. Ultima is still a good system.

Reactions: Zef
Why not just keep it simple, why not a simple pull-over? I've been using the older Si-Tech rings with straight rubber pull-over gloves and wool liners: 5 Finger Rubber Gloves Long. No worries about O-rings and seals and when the gloves wear out, they're cheap to replace.

That is always an option. Thanks.

-Z

Diving Concepts rings also fit on the Si Tech system. You can find them on Ebay sometimes.

Thanks for this, definitely an option but I have read that they can be hard to take off after a dive.

The rep at DRIS that I chatted with last night indicated that the Ultima system are easy to don/doff when gloved up for cold water diving.

I still have a few months before I need to order so I will continue researching as much as possible but so far things seem to be leaning in the direction of the ultima system with Kubi as a possible 2nd place option, and of course stretching over the rings as a backup.

If anyone has any other suggestions to consider, please let me know.

Thanks,
-Z

Which system would be the most convenient and unobtrusive for attaching drygloves semipermanently (without seals) but still allowing changing a leaking glove in the field?
Is it possible to use something like Sitech oval rings to directly mount only drygloves? Or would you still use something like Ultima or Kubi, but just without the wrist seals? Sitech atleast discourages using Antares system without seals attached.

+1 on the Kubi system. No suit modification required, and you still have the wrist seal if the glove gets cut, so you don't flood the suit. Removable at will, easy to change gloves, and you can dive with or without dry gloves.

After trying both the Quick Glove and the Glove Lock systems I finally switched to pullover gloves to get away from the bulk of the rings and the sometime fussy connectors. I have the round rings but I also have a buddy with the ovals who uses pullover gloves successfully.

Which system would be the most convenient and unobtrusive for attaching drygloves semipermanently (without seals) but still allowing changing a leaking glove in the field?
Is it possible to use something like Sitech oval rings to directly mount only drygloves? Or would you still use something like Ultima or Kubi, but just without the wrist seals? Sitech atleast discourages using Antares system without seals attached.

For me, I am not looking to use the gloves in place of the wrist seals. Gloves just come across as too fragile and prone to high wear and tear... a glove casualty without wrist seals equals compromised waterproof integrity of the suit itself...in the summer that is just a major inconvenience, in the winter that could be disastrous.

One of the features I was looking for when I purchased my drysuit was user field replaceable wrist and neck seals. I am just looking for a modular solution for gloves that will work with the setup that I have without the need for a shop to cut and/or glue another system in its place.

The things I am looking for in a glove system are as follows:
1. Ability to work with the Si-tech SLT QCS oval system that came installed on my suit, along with the silicone wrist seals.
2. Easy to self-don without hassle.
3. Fairly easy to self-doff without hassle or tools. (I understand there is a balance between how easy a glove system is to doff and how easy it is to prematurely/inadvertently separate).
4. Ability to replace the gloves on the system in the field should the gloves suffer a casualty.

-Z

After trying both the Quick Glove and the Glove Lock systems I finally switched to pullover gloves to get away from the bulk of the rings and the sometime fussy connectors. I have the round rings but I also have a buddy with the ovals who uses pullover gloves successfully.

I recognize this as a viable method for dry gloves although an actual system appeals to me right now for whatever reason. Perhaps with some use I will scale back to this simple method. To test it out I picked up some latex dish/work gloves with a beaded cuff this afternoon. If I can't get to the pool tomorrow evening I will do a bathtub test with my arm slid into my suit as it will be too warm this weekend to comfortably dive dry (35c air temp and the lake I will be at is roughly 20c with no thermocline).

I appreciate the knowledge everyone has shared.

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom