Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The things I am looking for in a glove system are as follows:
1. Ability to work with the Si-tech SLT QCS oval system that came installed on my suit, along with the silicone wrist seals.
2. Easy to self-don without hassle.
3. Fairly easy to self-doff without hassle or tools. (I understand there is a balance between how easy a glove system is to doff and how easy it is to prematurely/inadvertently separate).
4. Ability to replace the gloves on the system in the field should the gloves suffer a casualty.

Sure looks like a pull-over might just be your best solution. Sometimes pulling on requires a little technique, but the doffing is dirt simple. As far as #4, just carry a spare set. :wink: If in doubt, gloves are cheap enough to try it out and if it doesn't work for you, go find another solution.

Reactions: Zef

Sure looks like a pull-over might just be your best solution. Sometimes pulling on requires a little technique, but the doffing is dirt simple. As far as #4, just carry a spare set. :wink: If in doubt, gloves are cheap enough to try it out and if it doesn't work for you, go find another solution.

I think we were typing/posting at the same time. See my last.

Cheers,
-Z

The two problems with the pullover gloves are that you need someone to help you get the second glove on and they tear easily. Try the Showa 720s. They are warmer and stretchier than pvc gloves and scratch/tear resistant.

Reactions: Zef
The two problems with the pullover gloves are that you need someone to help you get the second glove on and they tear easily. Try the Showa 720s. They are warmer and stretchier than pvc gloves and scratch/tear resistant.
I use Marigold Industrial Gloves G17K and I fabricated a couple of rings that fit over the cuff of the drysuit. I stretch the gloves onto the rings and then pull them over the cuffs. The rings then just slip back off and are left on the boat. That way you can don them without needing assistance.

I have both the Kubi rings that fit onto an existing latex seal and (now) the permanent Kubi rings that glue onto the suit. I used the "clamp-on" rings for over a year before I got my current suit enhanced by DRiS to have the Kubi rings glued on.

As long as you put a little silicone grease on the glove O-rings every now and then, they Kubi rings go together and come apart very easily. Super simple and easy to don and doff.

If you want silicone wrist seals (in one of your bullet points above), you will have to go with a system that has permanent rings glued on (e.g. Ultima or Kubi).

The Kubi permanent rings will allow you to use dry gloves along with silicone or latex wrist seals, or you can use the dry gloves with no wrist seal installed.

Changing wrist seals or the gloves themselves is quick and easy, requiring no tools. I think the Ultima system is the same.

I like the Kubi system a little better because it is machined aluminum and O-rings. Pretty bulletproof. Better than a system with plastic rings, in my view. And the Kubi are less bulky. You get rings that are just big enough for your hands, not rings that are big enough to be one-size-fits-all. Plus, the overall system, once assembled with the glove on, is not as long. I.e. it doesn't take up as many inches of your forearm/wrist area. Depending on what else you have going on, that can be nice.

I also use the Ansell G17K gloves with my Kubi rings. The first pair lasted a year before I finally wore a pinhole in one thumb. And they cost $2 - 3 per pair from someplace like Zoro.com. If I am diving where there is a high likelihood of a cut or hole (e.g. a wreck with current where I'm holding on a lot), I would just wear some other protective gloves over the dry gloves. The G17K gloves are thin enough to give excellent dexterity. Harbor Freight has some stretchy gloves with fairly heavy PVC (or something) on the palms and fingers that holds up really well to the wreck diving I have done. They are also cheap. And also very thin, so still minimal impact to dexterity.

I'm also looking for a dry glove solution. We are commercial divers and we have been having a horror run of late with the SiTech QCP system - just a lot of problems with floods etc caused by problems with the rings. We are looking to change to something else but it needs to be very robust because we are using them day in day out and under pretty bad conditons. We wouldn't use the Waterproof Ultima system even though it looks nice as I could see us catching the lip of the rings on something and pulling a glove off. I don't think that pullover rings would work for us as the gloves we use have a knit liner on the inside of them. Does anyone have experience with the Northern Diver dry glove rings?

BTW for anyone looking for a glove with the protection of the Showa blue smurf gloves but with better fit and dexterity take a look at the ATG Maxi Chem Gloves

The two problems with the pullover gloves are that you need someone to help you get the second glove on and they tear easily.

Not necessarily the case. I've had good luck with Gummifabrikken ( 5 Finger Rubber Gloves Long). They are thicker, hold up well here in the PNW, and do go on without help. I'm not a big fan of the thinner/cheaper gloves for reasons stated above.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom