Doing rebreather class next year

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are kind of hosed with being in Montana in terms of availability and access to diving, but if I were seriously mapping out a ten year program it would probably do something like this.

Year 1: Start with an intro to tech/fundamentals program that gets you into doubles or sidemount. Spend a lot of time diving that configuration. Somewhere mid-season take a deco program, do some light deco diving.
Year 2: Take a beginning cave class. Spend time working on those skills (buoyancy, trim, awareness, problem solving/emergency management).
Year 3: Complete cave training.
Year 4: Take a MOD1 course. Do lots of diving on the rebreather, complete a CCR Cave upgrade.
Year 5: Do more diving on the rebreather, take a normoxic trimix class on the rebreather.
Year 6 and 7: Do more diving on the rebreather, take a hypoxic trimix class on the rebreather.
Years 8-10 gain lots of experience at the hypoxic depths.

During years 1-3 I would try to learn as much as I could about various different rebreathers and possibly do some try dives. The cave training will help with stress management and physical skills, I think it shouldn't be overlooked. There is no perfect rebreather, so don't just jump out and buy one because your local shop could service it -- they ALL have unique eccentricities.

OK, reality check time. Here's the biggest problem you're going to face, time in the water. There is zero substitute for time in the water, at a minimum you should be striving to be in the water a couple of times a month, and at least one of those dives each month should be helping you grow by challenging you both mentally and physically. Additionally, if you have diving lay-offs due to seasonal conditions (I hear you guys up north have a thing called Winter), expect to start the next diving season behind the 8-ball and in need of building your skills back up; in plain English, don't expect to start a new diving season by pushing those pinnacle dives.

Best of luck to you.

And get a Solo diving ticket so you don’t need buddies— great if you have them, but a solo ticket should mean you can get into a dive lake and do your skills.

Nobody’s mentioned costs yet AFAIAA. Courses cost money. Kit costs money. Diving costs money. The more you do, the more it’ll cost.

During years 1-3

I would try to learn as much as I could about various different rebreathers and possibly do some try dives. The cave training will help with stress management and physical skills, I think it shouldn't be overlooked. There is no perfect rebreather, so don't just jump out and buy one because your local shop could service it -- they ALL have unique eccentricities.
I would do this. You can get closer to your target depth quicker and cheaper going OC, before ever thinking whether you will transition to CCR. 10-year investment plan doesn't hold water.

You are kind of hosed with being in Montana in terms of availability and access to diving, but if I were seriously mapping out a ten year program it would probably do something like this.

Year 1: Start with an intro to tech/fundamentals program that gets you into doubles or sidemount. Spend a lot of time diving that configuration. Somewhere mid-season take a deco program, do some light deco diving.
Year 2: Take a beginning cave class. Spend time working on those skills (buoyancy, trim, awareness, problem solving/emergency management).
Year 4: Take a MOD1 course. Do lots of diving on the rebreather, complete a CCR Cave upgrade.
Year 5: Do more diving on the rebreather, take a normoxic trimix class on the rebreather.
Year 6 and 7: Do more diving on the rebreather, take a hypoxic trimix class on the rebreather.

During years 1-3 I would try to learn as much as I could about various different rebreathers and possibly do some try dives. The cave training will help with stress management and physical skills, I think it shouldn't be overlooked. There is no perfect rebreather, so don't just jump out and buy one because your local shop could service it -- they ALL have unique eccentricities.

OK, reality check time. Here's the biggest problem you're going to face, time in the water. There is zero substitute for time in the water, at a minimum you should be striving to be in the water a couple of times a month, and at least one of those dives each month should be helping you grow by challenging you both mentally and physically. Additionally, if you have diving lay-offs due to seasonal conditions (I hear you guys up north have a thing called Winter), expect to start the next diving season behind the 8-ball and in need of building your skills back up; in plain English, don't expect to start a new diving season by pushing those pinnacle dives.

Best of luck to you.
Luck for me other then the ice diving I will be doing this winter I will be in AZ for the cold parts starting this year! But yes 100% this is going to be a lot of time in water!

And get a Solo diving ticket so you don’t need buddies— great if you have them, but a solo ticket should mean you can get into a dive lake and do your skills.

Nobody’s mentioned costs yet AFAIAA. Courses cost money. Kit costs money. Diving costs money. The more you do, the more it’ll cost.
Yep working on that! But I have been diving solo just not very deep!

Best of luck to you.
Can I ask why doubles? Side mount is a given with the caving so figured id do all that at the same time! I do not plan to be a expert cave diver just looking to learn a little from it. As far as the tec and CCR I started leaning on the side of doing CCR tec? I figured whats the point of doing reg tec if I am only going to go deep on the CCR?

Don’t let anyone **** on your dreams. There’s a safe way to make it happen. Get with the right people.
I 100% love feed back that is helpful. IE tell me all the MTs I will need to clime but the ones who are just looking to be a internet D-bag I stop listening…

I would do this. You can get closer to your target depth quicker and cheaper going OC, before ever thinking whether you will transition to CCR. 10-year investment plan doesn't hold water.
For me I am not after the quick side of it. And sure it will be cheaper but CCR is my end goal.

I 100% love feed back that is helpful. IE tell me all the MTs I will need to clime but the ones who are just looking to be a internet D-bag I stop listening…

Us d bags are trying to keep you alive. Some of the things you have said makes us wonder if you have the right attitude to do this safely.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom