DIY dive gear successes and failures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here are the pics of my enclosed reel.

Mike D

built a Secci Disk [Spelling??, the vis check thing] from an old frizbee - - and my favorite - is adapting a Travel Magna Doodle for use as my slate - - It's SO MUCH better than the commercial stuff!

I was just wandering what everyone was using for power wire between the canister and the head?:confused:

I'm using good quality outdoor extention cord (the bright orange stuff)

others have mentioned using silicone-jacketed cable

well, most good hardware suppliers can get "liquid proof bulkhead connectors" or, you can do as I have done, and just use a compression fitting with o-rings instead of the compression collar.

go over to http://www.mcmaster.com/

and browse through the online catalog, it will give you a good idea of what you are looking for, and another good idea would be to check out airspeed press for his "dive light companion" book

I am presently making one using watertight marine cable connections, waterpoof wire and a pvc housing. The lamp is a 50w halogen bulb. All available from Home Depot. The power is a sealed cannister w/ 4 r/c car packs, 2 ea wired in series and then palleled to increas voltage and amps simultaneously. So far so good.

Dectek once bubbled...
I dont know if the different manufactures reflectors are slightly different sizes. The GE bulb that has its own glass cover sits a little high and if not just perfect wobbles right on the edge of the light head.
This is a drawing of Scott Blair's to help illustrate what I was trying to say.

Hey Thats pretty cool!!!!
Thats a drawing I did for scott some time ago.
Never thought Id see my cadd dwgs on SB!
I have images of the machining work here somewhere as well.
Ill see if I can find them.

pcscuba bubbled: I was just wandering what everyone was using for power wire between the canister and the head?"

I used PVC jacketed , 16 gauge, 2 conductor, shielded cable.

PVC becasue it's harder than rubber. (rubber will leak, it's too soft, I know this from experience)

16 gauge, 26 standed wires, are flexible and reisit breakage for flexing. 16 gauge will handle 5-8 amps current without over heating.

Shielding - the current flow throught the cable can create a magnetic field that screws up your compass, if too close. (this also from experince).

I have 2x 6 volt 10Ahr batteries in series. They run a 50 watt halogen lamp for 2 hrs.

MikeD

Dectek once bubbled...
Did you find a supplier for the liquid tight fittings with strain releif besides Sealcon? [/B]

Heyco make several different liquid tight fittings. You can get them from Tower Fasteners or Motion Industries.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom