DIY Bladderless Donut Wing Experiment/Project

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thats a pretty cool process, I can really appreciate the DIY. I use an xdeep ghost wing for travel, which has a similar "bladderless" design to cut down on bulk. They stitch some type of bias tape (likely just double folded cordura) around the outside perimeter. My guess is that is more to prevent catastrophic seam failure rather than to actually reinforce the edge welding. They probably use RF rather than heat, but same concept. Worth looking into reinforcing the edge on yours? If nothing else, might give it a more finished appearance.

View attachment 839074
Thanks! Yeah I did come across the X-Deep Ghost during my search for a bladderless wing design, but found that they do not sell the wing separately without their backplate and harness system.

As for the bias tape, I did intend to do this and even bought the material for it, but since the wing I made was still kinda experimental at the point of construction (and even now still), so I thought to leave it out for now in case I still needed to check the seams for leakages. Also, RF or Ultrasonic sealing would definitely be much better, but they cost way too much compared to simple heat sealing. Hopefully one day ultrasonic sewing machines like the JEUX US-511 would become accessible to the masses, cost wise =)

Thanks! Yeah I did come across the X-Deep Ghost during my search for a bladderless wing design, but found that they do not sell the wing separately without their backplate and harness system.

As for the bias tape, I did intend to do this and even bought the material for it, but since the wing I made was still kinda experimental at the point of construction (and even now still), so I thought to leave it out for now in case I still needed to check the seams for leakages. Also, RF or Ultrasonic sealing would definitely be much better, but they cost way too much compared to simple heat sealing. Hopefully one day ultrasonic sewing machines like the JEUX US-511 would become accessible to the masses, cost wise =)
I was a little concerned the spares when I was shopping for something super packable, and turned up at least one source:
It really wouldn't fit your requirements anyway though, since it requires an STA by design. Only mentioning it in case someone stumbles into this thread looking for a super thin lightweight wing but isn't quite ready to jump into rolling their own.

Don't let me distract from your post , I really appreciate the creativity and that your DIY heat fusing is standing up to some double digit dives! Nice work!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom