DIY dive gear successes and failures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hay Guys,

I heard that there was another thread on DIY gear. I like some of the things you guys have done. There's nothing I like better then building something myself that works just as good as the name brand.

I told Dectek to make a few copies of the plans I gave to him so everyone could see exactly what I did. If you want to take a look at a few pictures of the light and video housing I made here are the links.

Video Housing

Canister Light

I had some help putting everything together on the dive light, thanks to Aquamaniac the light head worked out great. He was the one with the idea of using a Mag-lite for the light head and made the CAD drawings of how the O-rings were installed.

If anyone has any questions PM me and I'll be more the happy to help out any way I can.

Scott

I've posted this on a couple other threads but I wanted to see what you guys thought. I was wandering how a waterproof push button switch would work on the light, instead of a toggle.

I'm not sure if it would work, depending on how the switch internals operate. The increasing pressure would depress the switch as you descend but because the switch can not be released while under pressure one of two things might happen. 1. The light will not turn on. Some switches don't activate to complete the circuit until the button is released, or 2. If you try to over come this problem by turning the light on before descending the exact opposite might happen and you won't be able to turn it off until you near the surface. Granted this last scenario isn't as much of a problem as the first but it could be if the light started to flood while at depth and you needed to shut it down and go to a back up.

Either way I think the pressure would adversely effect a push button type switch.

Scott

DIY projects I made:

ss bacplate w/ harness
ss single tank adapter w/ cambands
tank bands
goodman style light holder
ss spring heel straps

DIY projects in progress:

Delrin light canister - similar to stealthdive
Delrin primary reels - similar to EE
Delrin gap reels

DIY projects in the near future:

Delrin Submarine
Delrin reg

frogman once bubbled...
DIY projects I made:

goodman style light holder

Frogman...I'd really like to see what you did with the Goodman handle. I've been thinking of trying to make something to fit the "C Cell" Mag-Lite head I made.

If you wouldn't mind sharing the info with me I'd really appreciate it.

Scott

Padipro once bubbled...

Frogman...I'd really like to see what you did with the Goodman handle. I've been thinking of trying to make something to fit the "C Cell" Mag-Lite head I made.

If you wouldn't mind sharing the info with me I'd really appreciate it.

Scott

dont' mind at all:) I'll send the pics as soon as I can.....by the way, its still with my firend who's out of the country...the pics would come later though....

for one thing you will need a milling machine, bending machine (or a wide jaw locking pliers as for the major tools...

Humm....a milling machine could be a problem. Oh well, I'll just have to improvise.

Thanks Frogman, I'll be waiting for the pics.

Scott

Great job on the light and housing.

So far I have only made a suit dryer (still waiting for the blower) and I plan on building a canister light as well.

Pez

I bought the Canister book from Airspeeds, and I'nm waiting for it... I will let you know as soon I get it!
I'm trying to found all the necessary information to build a canister, a brand new canister is very expensive, and they are very easy to build.... once you have all the parts... I don't understand why Dive Rite, OMS, and other brands are so expensive :confused:
Anyway, I guess that I will build my firts canister next month... I will publish the results in this room!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom