Dive sites//charters solo diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LOL..... I spent the better part of my day assisting one of my 3 boys in purchasing a car....I co-signed his loan, second one in as many weeks. Then to round off the day I had to purchase and install a toilet in our second bathroom here at the house....course those 1 hour jobs for me turn into 3 hour projects...day shot in terms of computer time on SB!

I have not had time to read through ALL the pages on this thread--GEEZ

Looks like alot has been discussed. I still though refuse to get a Solo Diving c-card just to saticfy someones insurance concerns and fear of law suits. I persl. see no reason to spend $150-200 on a course that will offer no training/skill beyond what I already poses.

As to the 2 Texas dive businesses that require a diver to have such a c-card to dive solo....well I will not be solo diving with those outfits as I don't break rules set by businesses.

I know first hand the quality operation the MV Spree is and how Capt. Frank truely wants the best for his dive customers, this I respect in that operation. I am not familiar with the shop and new Mammoth Lake facility as it is so brand new and I don't live close by....but it looks like buddy diving will be on the menu for me on my first visit this year to that dive park.

I do find it a sad situation our world is in when insurance companies and lawyers can make decisions which they have no clue about, this is seen in evidence every f'ing day in the health care of Americans.

:wink:

I would be interested in going back to the very first post. I challange anyone to find ANY open water dive location that is insured for in-water liability in the state of Texas that allows (in writing) solo diving regardless of certification level. If you can find this place, and their insurance company insures liveaboard dive vessels for a reasonable price, I will switch my insurance to that company and change my policies accordingly. I think you will find that most open water facilities place the burden for in-water liability back on the divemaster/divecon/instructor.

I do not have it in writing from the park but I know of several people that dive solo at Athens with nothing more than a ow card.

I do not have it in writing from the park but I know of several people that dive solo at Athens with nothing more than a ow card.

Athens
CSSP
Blue Lagoon
Twin Lakes

I do find it a sad situation our world is in when insurance companies and lawyers can make decisions which they have no clue about, this is seen in evidence every f'ing day in the health care of Americans.

:wink:

Same here. It makes me sick sometimes to be a nurse. I actually have to chart that a person who is healthy and just had a tonsillectomy is able to move all of his extremities well. I spend 90% of my day covering my ass and 10% on patient care.

Geez....

This is right from the CSSP Waiver form. So if you realy think that they allow solo diving without a C-card you are nuts. They just don't know you are doing it. I have seen Robert ban people from his park for much less infractions. QUote "I also acknowledge and understand there are underwater overhead environments that require advanced diving skills and I agree not to exceed my personal diving limitations and or training. I will not attempt ANY dive that I do not feel completely comfortable and safe with nor trained for." I don't have access to Athens but I am sure that they have a simular clause.

This is right from the CSSP Waiver form. So if you realy think that they allow solo diving without a C-card you are nuts. They just don't know you are doing it. I have seen Robert ban people from his park for much less infractions.

Of course the park requires all divers not under the supervision in an O/W class to poses a valid c-card to scuba dive.

I once got told by Robert I was going over the speed limit he has posted and stirring up to much dust....it was a windy day and was probably exceeding the limit by 5mph.....I was just issued a warning--I learned my lesson. I know of several times dive shop getting called down for instructors swimming and diving from the docks and for a few other park infractions.

CSSP is probably the best and safest dive park and best managed in Texas bar none.

It our responsibility as cert. divers to all do our best to dive within our skill and experience level, this is for our protection and that of others whom might be diving with you, or in the case of an experienced solo diver for his own safety.

case of an experienced solo diver for his own safety.

Alan,

Glad to see you on the thread. What I find interesting is that diving is still not regulated, and policed by the government yet. We obviously feel threatened because any negative publicity gets the lawmakers attention.

Like last week the Sheriff was taking about 2 swimmers in lake Travis that they found dead. The Sheriff on the soundbite immediately wanted to caution everyone about "How dangerous the water is and that alcohol could play a role in these deaths." The investigation was just beginning so they did not have any results back on the autoposies. Was his message don't go in the water? It seemed like it to me on his interview at Lake Travis.

I believe we all know under the war effort and homeland security that our civil liberties are being taken away every month by our government. Today in America our government does not represent the people. The land of the free is more bound up in laws then almost any other country.

Solo Diving is a free experience where you pit yourself, your skills and your desire to be underwater with your abilities to remain safe. Because we have a really safe sport, and for the most part people do not get hurt or die, we are still able to police ourselves. Some day very soon, they could be taking this right away from us.

I am all about supporting our LDS, scuba parks, and dive boat operators to keep the little bit of freedom we still have in the sport of Scuba Diving.

I don't disagree with a single thing anyone has said. However, the bottom line is that the good ol' USA has grown into a very litigious society. For crying out loud, if someone can sue McDonalds because they were clumsy enough to spill hot coffee on themselves and win the case then anything is fair game. I cover myself, my employer and my employees by maintaining policies and buying insurance. Why would we expect the dive operators to act differently? Don't you carry insurance for your car? Have rules to keep your kids safe? Have homeowner's insurance on your house? Why? To CYA...just like everyone else.

Even if we sit our family down and state clearly they are not to sue anyone if we meet our maker while diving that's not enough to stop them from suing once we're dead. The best thing we can do to put an end to this type of litigation is to protect ourselves and the things we care most about from it. The way businesses protect themselves is to have policies in place that have the requirements necessary to protect their operation. They carry insurance on top of that to cover themselves in case someone decides to sue because a friend or attorney convinced them to do it. We can't fault the dive operators for protecting themselves. Heck, I don't think we can even fault the person who sues because they are grieving and not thinking straight...they just want someone to be held responsible and they don't want to think it could be the deceased fault. The attorneys just look for whoever has the deepest pockets so they can get a bigger fee. We can't fault them for that either...it's their job to get a big settlement.

What we can do is be responsible and take the necessary steps to cover ourselves, our families and the sport/hobby we love. Do the right thing. Get the required equipment and certifications to dive as you would like. Get insurance that will cover you in the unlikely event you are killed while diving. Put it in your will that you don't want your family to sue anyone, or any entity, if you die while diving.

How could it be prevented?

The owner knew that the diver was diving solo. The owner made the choice to allow the diver to dive solo. To answer your question the owner could have not let the diver dive that day.

Before someone asks, the diver had ow cert only. He had 4 logged dives in 2003 all being his ow evaluation dives. 0 dives until 2007 when he did 4 solo dives on two different dates at Athens. So the diver in no way was qualified nor equipped to do solo dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom