Info Published Standards for SSI, SDI, and PADI "solo" courses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

does some of you are removing the octo from the main tank and put it on a redundant air source. ( in my case this will be a 30 cf). Just you thought either or not i should do that. I will find it a bit complex to have 3 reg.

does some of you are removing the octo from the main tank and put it on a redundant air source. ( in my case this will be a 30 cf). Just you thought either or not i should do that. I will find it a bit complex to have 3 reg.
I removed my octo and replaced it with an air2. I have the air 2 on a 22 inch corrugated hose so it is a comfortable angle when using and I still have 2 regs and 1 fewer hose on my main tank.

and let's see you will not have get the air2 will you have consider putting the octo on the redundant air source ?

and let's see you will not have get the air2 will you have consider putting the octo on the redundant air source ?
Are you setting up for solo diving or just to have redundant air? I'm often solo and my want to use my backgas before I use my pony. If my primary reg stops working I can go to my air2 while I figure out what's wrong.

I would not put an octo on a redundant air.

Some solo divers, including myself, choose to reduce the clutter and hoses by having an integrated Air 2 or similar as their alternate 2nd stage for their primary gas tank...

My back mounted pony 2nd is on a necklace and is only there for me.

In standard SideMount, you have 2 bottles, 2 first stages, 2 second stages. No octos. If we assume a properly sized and properly used pony bottle, the octo starts to serve much less of a purpose, given the pony can replace about everything the octo did.

Keeping the octo, would mean another hose, another regulator, another thing to manage and get tangled up. It also increases the chance of regulator-confusion (am I using the pony, or primary tank?), and is another regulator that could free-flow.

Keeping the octo attached to the main tank does mean you have another regulator which can access your larger air supply. The main advantage being air-share scenarios, which are mostly not relevant to most solo-divers. You can still buddy breathe, or air-share with a pony of course. I just started a thread earlier today, exploring how often a 2nd stage stops delivering air. It seems to me that such scenarios are highly rare, but certainly not impossible. If you have a pony-bottle that's adequately sized, you could also just switch, surface, and then look into the problem, so it's annoying but not an emergency.

I could see a reasons for having an octo (or air2) on your primary larger tank, even if it's perhaps a little unnecessary. I'm fairly sure almost nobody puts an octo on a pony-bottle / redundant air. Two divers breathing off a small bottle, would result in it running out very, very quickly.

The air-2 might be "ok" but only if you were actually using that hose, such as having the pony hooked up to a dry-suit.

Also consider rule of thirds and balancing gas consumption from each side of sidemount. Typically if sharing on sidemount, the longhose is on the RHS with the short necklaced regulator of the LHS. An OOG donation would be from the RHS. There should be sufficient gas in to return to the surface with another diver.

I’m curious, as a diver who’s never dived side-mount, how do you handle the power inflator for the BCD with this setup? I started diving before side-mount was even thought of. And I don’t contemplate starting it either. But it is a question on my mind.

SeaRat

I’m curious, as a diver who’s never dived side-mount, how do you handle the power inflator for the BCD with this setup? I started diving before side-mount was even thought of. And I don’t contemplate starting it either. But it is a question on my mind.

SeaRat
There is no issue. You just use it. I do not understand the question. It is fed from the left tank. is that the question?

There is no issue. You just use it. I do not understand the question. It is fed from the left tank. is that the question?
I guess I was asking about hose length, routing, etc. Are there any issues with the location of the valve being at your waist, to get the hose (usually about 32 inches long) to the BCD inflation hose?

SeaRat

Back
Top Bottom