Question SSI independent / solo diving minimum equipment specs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Were I to get Solo certified, I would choose the SDI Solo Diver course.
Solely to have the word, 'Solo' on my certificate.
Another way to frame it -

That would imply that you could go dive by yourself, but couldn't be counted on to be self-reliant should you encounter difficulty .... life insurance paid up ??

'Evision less potential for conflict with dive ops.

I doubt it's a huge issue. And if they're too stupid to not know they're the same thing, then they're too stupid to earn my dollars. I can find better options.

I doubt it's a huge issue. And if they're too stupid to know they're the same thing, then they're too stupid to earn my dollars. I can find better options.
for me i hold the sdi solo diver card honestly i dont really care what s writren on the card. Most important will diving solo i never use a dive ops anyway so like you said there is better options !

i completed the sdi solo class in august. You do need two computer for the class. Than after it s up to you scuba police will not arrest you.

To complete the class you need a redundant air source could be whatever size tank you want, but lets keep it as a general rule from 19 to 40 cf. Again after that your dive your choice.

Cheers
SDI standards for the Solo class say:
24.8 Required Equipment
1. Basic open water scuba equipment as described in section three of this manual with exception of a safe second, or octopus, is not allowed as a redundant air source.​
2. One of the following must be used to provide an additional independent regulator attached to an air source: pony cylinder, twin cylinders with isolation, H-valve, independent doubles, or SpareAir™.​
All the SDI Solo instructors I've known have not allowed the SpareAir, and have discouraged the H-valve as providing regulator redundancy only, not gas redundancy.

The PADI Self-Reliant course allows "pony cylinder, twin cylinders with isolation valve or sidemount configuration. Redundant gas supply must be configured so that the diver can access it with one hand." Also required is a "Redundant dive computer or depth gauge and bottom timer."

i am wondering why someone will go dive with a dive op for the purpose of solo diving ? Could someone explain to me ? I am missing something?

The main reason is to get you to dive sites that can only be reached by boat.
between you and me could we say that someone that do so is not really solo diving ? He will be part of a group will listen to the DM and will all go at the same diving spot we will not be alone in the water whatsoever. They thing they are solo diving but they truly not. Do you agree ?

between you and me could we say that someone that do so is not really solo diving ? He will be part of a group will listen to the DM and will all go at the same diving spot we will not be alone in the water whatsoever. They thing they are solo diving but they truly not. Do you agree ?
Some dive ops will have you stay with the group and a DM, others will let you go wherever you want. In the second case, you may be close to other divers but you are able to go at your own pace, go see what you want to see, and not worry about where everyone else is. To me this is just as solo as being completely by myself. My reason for solo diving is being able to go at my own pace and not worry about leaving someone, or them leaving me. If someone finds something interesting and can get my attention, or vis versa, great. Otherwise, I’ll see you back on the boat.

Erik

Back
Top Bottom