Question SSI independent / solo diving minimum equipment specs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whilst I understand your context, dives change and become a different context

So then the biggest bottle thats comfy would be good in case you choose to go deeper
without having to surface first, and grab a bigger pony, also the second computer helps
as if your primary computer, fails, you then have until your secondary computer, fails, to
continue your dive although I can not imagine a valid reason for a direct no-stop ascent
and it is not in my vocabulary, I had to copy and paste, from your post, unless I suppose
you've lost track of time and don't have a pee valve and or done an uncontrolled ascent

squirt extra oxygen in your auxilliary bottle that's where you become autonomously solo
That “one in none, two is one” only applies to things you’ll die without. Air supply qualifies, compy does not. If my computer fails underwater I’ll make my way to the surface, hang out a while at about 10’, and I’ll have the rest of the day to get a replacement for tomorrow’s diving. Don’t need instrumentation for that!
Missing part of the days diving would make me sad but it’s not worth lugging an extra piece of kit everywhere forever to prevent it.

Thanks for all the feedback.
I mainly wanted to to know what SSI required.
Unfortunately that a seems to be behind a trainer wall. I don't want an up sell from the dive shop

The best info I can find. May need a SSI account.

Less gear and weight is my goal where I can help it.

I am doing this to be safer in my own backyard in Lake Erie. I am already diving solo exploring the shoreline. On average max 15ft.
I could just buy the gear. But I feel there is value in the classes and going a little deep while being safer.

I have no plans for deeper solo dives. Most of my home dives with my buddy we barely pass 20ft.
I pretty much don't need a computer for these dives.

I have to go multiple 1000s of feet to hit 30+ feet with nothing worth it to see. From what can access from shore and my DPV. Anything else would be with a buddy and their boat.

I am personally om with ending my dive if have only one computer. I am at home anyway no big loss plus my NDL at my average depth is near unlimited time.

I believe a 19cu pony will cover me if the need arrives.

Thanks for all the feedback.
I mainly wanted to to know what SSI required.
Unfortunately that a seems to be behind a trainer wall. I don't want an up sell from the dive shop

The best info I can find. May need a SSI account.

Less gear and weight is my goal where I can help it.

I am doing this to be safer in my own backyard in Lake Erie. I am already diving solo exploring the shoreline. On average max 15ft.
I could just buy the gear. But I feel there is value in the classes and going a little deep while being safer.

I have no plans for deeper solo dives. Most of my home dives with my buddy we barely pass 20ft.
I pretty much don't need a computer for these dives.

I have to go multiple 1000s of feet to hit 30+ feet with nothing worth it to see. From what can access from shore and my DPV. Anything else would be with a buddy and their boat.

I am personally om with ending my dive if have only one computer. I am at home anyway no big loss plus my NDL at my average depth is near unlimited time.

I believe a 19cu pony will cover me if the need arrives.
I don’t have the instructor manual but this is the required gear from the student manual.
IMG_0946.jpeg

Thanks that's proof in the pudding,
Only item left in question is the secondary cylinder compacity.
To be honest, I do not remember there being a specific cylinder capacity requirement. I used a 19CF tank when I did my certification. Dive planning would determine your cylinder size. During certification it was more about being able to smoothly transition to the second cylinder.

Were I to get Solo certified, I would choose the SDI Solo Diver course.
Solely to have the word, 'Solo' on my certificate.

Were I to get Solo certified, I would choose the SDI Solo Diver course.
Solely to have the word, 'Solo' on my certificate.
Definitely a gray area I learned about. This is mostly for me to dive from my own property. I'll probably never go on a solo dive trip/vacation. At most play in a local quarry I know allows SSI version. Unfortunately I find the local quarries a bit far and boring now. I have way more fun in my backyard finding incredible stuff.

I have been SSI since the start. Achieved Master last week.
With all the prerequisites completed for Independent minus 75 dives logged. I am truthful and only claim actual honest dives with a buddy I don't want to cheat my self.

If you are diving 40 feet max, a 6 cuft pony bottle (or NONE) might work. I often dive with a 6.

Perhaps it would make sense to buy or borrow a dual outlet valve and use that for the course and just go with a single cylinder. then at the end of the course sell the valve and buy a pony bottle that can get you from 40 feet to the surface with no safety stop. Not sure how your air consumption is and what assumptions you would use, but I know I would be extremely confident that a 6 cu-ft pony would work for me from that depth. perhaps you can rent or borrow a second computer for the training - because you obviously don't need it for solo 40 ft dives.

I made all my final choices,
Met up with my instructor at the shop.
went over this list.

(made easy with a state wide tax free event)
I went with a
19cu pony
aqua apeks atx din regulator
mini gauge
highland SS pony mount
Peregrine TX backup to my Peridix 2(out for repair so solid backup is good..)
50 lb lift bag
sea snips
extra spool

Few other goodies

Attachments

• 20240807_104556.jpg
    20240807_104556.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 8
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom