Info Published Standards for SSI, SDI, and PADI "solo" courses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess I was asking about hose length, routing, etc. Are there any issues with the location of the valve being at your waist, to get the hose (usually about 32 inches long) to the BCD inflation hose?

SeaRat
Depending on the length of your corrugated hose, the placement of the nipple on it, the location of the tank valve under your arm, your body size, and the kind of first stage with its various ports, you may need a different length LPI hose to avoid loops and tugging.

I guess I was asking about hose length, routing, etc. Are there any issues with the location of the valve being at your waist, to get the hose (usually about 32 inches long) to the BCD inflation hose?

SeaRat
First stages with a fifth port make the inflator hose routing nicer. On my SM rig, my corrugated hose comes from lower left corner of wing across my torso and is clipped to right shoulder D ring. This is cave style so the elbow is protected from being mashed on cave roof. LP hose comes from fifth port on left tank first stage.

Hose length is very individual to each diver.

SeaRat
The lpi hose length is usually about 9 inches, sometimes a little shorter. The lie pressure inflator is bungeed to the area of the left or right chest d-ring. The lpi just had to be long enough to go from the armpit to about the center of the chest.

SeaRat
Sidemount often uses a very short regulator inflator-hose (about 9 inches) for inflating the BCD. The tank-valve is closer to chest level. The "ideal" configuration uses a low-pressure port on the end/center of the low pressure swivel turret on the 1st stage. SM BCDs also often have the BCD-inflator-hose starting from right above your butt, running up the side, and towards your chest. You can also do over-the-shoulder, or use the shoulder-port, but route under your arm, but that's less common.

A strength of sidemount is that BCD and drysuit whips are completely accessible at all times. Plus you have redundant drysuit inflation.

BTW, does a student actually do a solo dive before getting their solo diver certification?
Yes I did in 2013. The Um El Faroud in Malta via circumnavigation on my Jacques Jones. I did mine with Strand Diving services. Lawrence there is a very good teacher.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom